Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question? Thought? Discussion? Possible bolt on turbo manifold with td03 turbo???

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question? Thought? Discussion? Possible bolt on turbo manifold with td03 turbo???

I ran across this quite awhile ago while looking at other projects an thought it was interesting. The BMW N54 engines, have integrated manifold/turbos that are V-band compatible for a downpipe as well as internally wastegated to around 4 psi, plenty to bump power in a little 2000lb. i3. Best way to see how close the primaries are to one another and see if it would be feasible would be to buy a 335i or 135i N54 exhaust manifold gasket and a 2014-2017 Mirage exhaust gasket to compare each against one another, but according to the pics below, they look pretty similar. I don't yet have a Mirage, but thought it may be useful to somebody.

As far as engine management, Emanage Blues (yes blue.....I know the crappiest), has an injector harness or up to 6 injectors, so 3 extra injectors (or less) could be wired and could also be used to eliminate the original fuel cut form the ECU/PCM to extend the rev limit past factory. Basic explanation is to use the extra 3 injector wires (each injector would have 2 injector wires) to each of the already existing 3 injectors and these injector wires would be used to send signal from the Emanage Blue to the injectors after the initial fuel cut. These 3 extra injector wires would need a diode wired into the wires to make sure the injector signal is 1-way and the factory fuel cut is bypassed. Or they could be set up to add extra fuel if needed to 3 supplemental injectors, leaving the stock rev limit intact. Emanage blue is pretty easy to find for $100 these days as most popular vehicles throw it away or use a better management system (such as FIC, etc.).

Either way, just hoping it'd help someone out or somebody may be interested in the idea and pursue it.....

Attached Images Attached Images    

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MugenReplica For This Useful Post:

2of9 (10-31-2016),Daox (12-08-2016),gone.a (10-31-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if you could simply cut off the exhaust flange and weld the turbo onto our existing oem flange. I believe that turbo is made by Mitsubishi fyi.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    very interesting. Looks like it's possible. Could even make an 'adapter plate' to make it work but that's more $$. Then again, you'd still have to make a custom downpipe as well. Either way, very cool to see this!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    I wonder if you could simply cut off the exhaust flange and weld the turbo onto our existing oem flange. I believe that turbo is made by Mitsubishi fyi.
    Yes they are, they are Td03 and make the old VR4 td04-9b turbos look HUGE.

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been looking at a lot of diffrent stock setups that could be cross used but some how I missed this one.

I found a couple of superchargers that could work, and was thinking about test fitting the 1990-1995 Nissan 300zx turbo manifolds. They come in two configurations and look like they may be possible options as well.

How ever, this looks even more promising. The BMW manifold/turbo's also come in both orientations. The BMW front turbo intakes on the passenger side and exhausts on the drivers side of the Mirage (the option I would go with if front mount intercooler) while the rear BMW turbo intakes on the drivers side and exhausts on the passenger (best for a direct turbo to intake setup with no intercooler).

I may buy the gaskets today and give it a serious look cause I like this option. The turbo is coming off what is ideally a 1.5L so that's just perfect. Nice find.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to live4redline For This Useful Post:

Basic (11-01-2016),Gnarles2 (11-02-2016),gone.a (11-01-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't forget that BMW and Mini also have a 1.5L turbocharged three cylinder. It basically is half the six, because their engines are modular.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just an FYI... The exhaust gasket for the BMW turbo setup (2007 BMW 335i) is simply just six rings. So your not going to be able to get any sort of measurements off them.

In addition the Mirage exhaust gasket is not available in auto parts stores yet and is a dealer item only at this time.

Really need to search around this forums for someone who's upgraded their header and see if they can do some detailed measurements for us.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Figured I would post another option. This is from the 4a91 series engine, the 4 cylinder version of our 3a92. Apparently Mitsubishi makes a turbo version of the 4a91 which is a 1.5 liter engine. See the link:

http://www.same.com.cn/en/en/a/chanp...6/0608/26.html

Wondering if it would be possible to simply cut off the extra exhaust runner and weld it shut. Since its the sister engine to ours I would guess that the exhaust flange would bolt right up??

Name:  1-160G1102SA56.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  95.1 KB

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (11-02-2016),MetroMPG (06-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This looks promising. I can't wait to get mine paid for and make it my commuter, so I can pick another one up and work on engine mods.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Figured I would post another option. This is from the 4a91 series engine, the 4 cylinder version of our 3a92. Apparently Mitsubishi makes a turbo version of the 4a91 which is a 1.5 liter engine. See the link:

http://www.same.com.cn/en/en/a/chanp...6/0608/26.html

Wondering if it would be possible to simply cut off the extra exhaust runner and weld it shut. Since its the sister engine to ours I would guess that the exhaust flange would bolt right up??
    Unfortunately for a lot of us anything 4a91 is impossIble to get. In addition i've never known Mitsubishi to not use cast iron for their turbo manifolds which would make modifying it very complicated.

Still worth looking into however. Specially if you could find someone who manufacturers an aftermarket manifold for it.