Thread: Mystery phone/internet-type cable

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mystery phone/internet-type cable

I just bought a 2015 Mirage at a Phoenix auto auction. I found a cat 3 type cable (flat-style, black) that was protruding from under the console and also appears in the cargo area. Both ends have been cut loose from something. Anyone know what the cable is? Is it a factory cable? if yes, for what? What is its routing path thru the car and what should have been connected to the two cut ends?

My car does have the little phone button on the lower left hand dash area that I assume is a bluetooth. I also have what appears to be a microphone poking out from under the headliner by the center mirror mount.

Any information, routing schematics, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pics?
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tokie856 View Post
    I just bought a 2015 Mirage at a Phoenix auto auction. I found a cat 3 type cable (flat-style, black) that was protruding from under the console and also appears in the cargo area. Both ends have been cut loose from something. Anyone know what the cable is? Is it a factory cable? if yes, for what? What is its routing path thru the car and what should have been connected to the two cut ends?

My car does have the little phone button on the lower left hand dash area that I assume is a bluetooth. I also have what appears to be a microphone poking out from under the headliner by the center mirror mount.

Any information, routing schematics, etc would be greatly appreciated.
    welcome to the forum! Post some pics when you have the chance. Show off your Mirage! As far as the cat 3 type cable the only thing that I can think of off the top of my head is that is your Mirage a RF model that originally came with the Rockford Fosgate subwoofer? zx2uner is right though, we need to see some pics when you can.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you sure its a Cat 3 cable, like what a landline phone uses? Also, is the phone button aftermarket? I thought all the blue-tooth controls were on the steering wheel only

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Are you sure its a Cat 3 cable, like what a landline phone uses? Also, is the phone button aftermarket? I thought all the blue-tooth controls were on the steering wheel only
    Many DEs had them factory on the dash.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd speculate it might have to do with Rockford Fosgate sound.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tokie856 View Post
    ...cat 3 type cable (flat-style, black)
    ...protruding from under the console
    ...also appears in the cargo area.
    Here's a possibility...

If that car had a subwoofer in the cargo area with an amplifier, what you might be looking at is the remnants of a remote bass control for the amplifier. It makes sense that it would terminate near the console (where the knob is often placed) and also in the cargo area (where the amp/sub may have been located). Many people don't remove wiring from aftermarket systems when they get rid of a car...especially if they're in a hurry (which might explain the cut wires).

Here's a pic of a JL Audio remote bass control knob which uses the same type of cable that you are describing...

Name:  RBC-1.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  17.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would say it is a base controller "aftermarket" I had a Xfinty system in my 90 Buick and to turn the bass up I used a control switch mounted next to my drivers seat. I used a regular Cat5 cable to connect it to the speaker. Most likely that is what it is.

There is no I in team. But there is a PU in group and you guys stink.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 35.1 mpg (US) ... 14.9 km/L ... 6.7 L/100 km ... 42.1 mpg (Imp)