Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we expect in the next [7th] generation Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'd be on board with Mitsubishi selling rebadged Renaults for the time being, until they can start developing new models on shared platforms. Especially if they'd bring over the RenaultSport versions. The upcoming Megane RS is supposed to be packing 300hp!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    I'd be on board with Mitsubishi selling rebadged Renaults for the time being, until they can start developing new models on shared platforms. Especially if they'd bring over the RenaultSport versions. The upcoming Megane RS is supposed to be packing 300hp!
    They probably can't honestly. The Mitsubishi business structure isn't so much on the cutting edge, but based on established reliability. Engines are often retooled and updated versions of very old engines. That way they have tested reliability and can offer their industry leading warranty without issue. I'm pretty sure the engine in the Mirage was used in an older car from the early 90s. A colt maybe? I don't fully remember.

I don't know the quality of engineering of Renaults, but even if it were excellent, without their engineering design I doubt they'd have an easy time feasibly offering their warranty, as they likely couldn't build the cars to need the same minimal maintenance with historic accuracy.

I knew a guy who helped localize cars from the Fiat family when they merged with Chrysler. He told me that a lot of the localization engineering was shoddy. You can't really maintain the same quality when you don't make it in house with parts known and tested, not saying that Chrysler was particularly known for quality at the time but still hahaha.

This is only my conjecture though, could be wrong.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

mirage engine old?

Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    They probably can't honestly. The Mitsubishi business structure isn't so much on the cutting edge, but based on established reliability. Engines are often retooled and updated versions of very old engines. That way they have tested reliability and can offer their industry leading warranty without issue. I'm pretty sure the engine in the Mirage was used in an older car from the early 90s. A colt maybe? I don't fully remember.

I don't know the quality of engineering of Renaults, but even if it were excellent, without their engineering design I doubt they'd have an easy time feasibly offering their warranty, as they likely couldn't build the cars to need the same minimal maintenance with historic accuracy.

I knew a guy who helped localize cars from the Fiat family when they merged with Chrysler. He told me that a lot of the localization engineering was shoddy. You can't really maintain the same quality when you don't make it in house with parts known and tested, not saying that Chrysler was particularly known for quality at the time but still hahaha.

This is only my conjecture though, could be wrong.
    To my best knowledge the Mirage 3A92 engine is from 2013 and especially developed for the Mirage/Space Star. It is true, however, that Mitsubishi uses engine families for a long time. In case of the Mirage/Space Star, it was a rare example of something new.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    To my best knowledge the Mirage 3A92 engine is from 2013 and especially developed for the Mirage/Space Star. It is true, however, that Mitsubishi uses engine families for a long time. In case of the Mirage/Space Star, it was a rare example of something new.
    Not as old as I thought at 2003, but not new.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_3A9_engine

Maybe the 3A92 revision was made in 2013? Not all new though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-24-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will say that the German built 3A92 engine was a much cleaner and more efficient engine then the 4b11 in my Outlander Sport. I did the oil changes in my Mirage at 8000 Miles and the oil would come out pretty damn clean looking, but after 3500 miles in my Outlander Sport the oil is straight-up black. That just goes to show you how much 20 years of engineering makes a difference in building clean and efficient engines.
    Last edited by HitShane; 04-24-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Unhappy 3A91 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Not as old as I thought at 2003, but not new.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_3A9_engine

Maybe the 3A92 revision was made in 2013? Not all new though.
    One illusion less in life...

I was under the impression that it was a new engine because of (improved MIVEC) and the super thin head gasket they used for the first time. Ah well... Thanks

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    One illusion less in life...

I was under the impression that it was a new engine because of (improved MIVEC) and the super thin head gasket they used for the first time. Ah well... Thanks
    It's better that some of it is old rather than it be all new. It's been tested and improved upon. One less thing to worry about haha

Also, cheaper parts when it does come time to fix

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Some more tea leaves to read:

Nissan has confirmed they will assemble the new Micra (a.k.a. March) in Thailand (where the Mirage is built) under the Thai "Eco Car" program. This is the same program that the Mirage is in, where to qualify for manufacturing incentives the cars must be built with small displacement, fuel-efficient engines.

Source: http://paultan.org/2017/01/18/new-ni...thai-eco-cars/

So that means both Mitsu and Nissan are building their city cars in the same country. That suggests the door is wide open for platform sharing.
    Yes the door is off the hinges as Carlos Ghosn describes in his latest 6-year plan ...

- More than 9 million vehicles to share four common platforms
    - Proportion of common powertrains to rise from a third to three-quarters of total volumes
    - Additional synergies expected from electrification, connectivity and autonomous technologies
    - 12 pure electric models to be launched, utilizing common EV platforms and components
    - 40 vehicles to be launched with autonomous drive (AD) technology
    - To become an operator of robo-vehicle ride-hailing services

https://media.group.renault.com/glob...revoit-des-ven

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tuques For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-16-2017),inuvik (09-18-2017),MetroMPG (09-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That new Micra, or whatever it is, has a strong family resemblance to current Nissan SUV's. Can anyone see the Volvo P1800 in those 'finlets' at the rear. Not a bad look (the fins), though I could do without Nissan's front end.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not sure about current French quality but from my knowledge of the past, French cars aren't really the place you want to go to quality.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-19-2017)