Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64

Thread: What might we expect in the next generation 2019 Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    122
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    I'd be on board with Mitsubishi selling rebadged Renaults for the time being, until they can start developing new models on shared platforms. Especially if they'd bring over the RenaultSport versions. The upcoming Megane RS is supposed to be packing 300hp!



  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    I'd be on board with Mitsubishi selling rebadged Renaults for the time being, until they can start developing new models on shared platforms. Especially if they'd bring over the RenaultSport versions. The upcoming Megane RS is supposed to be packing 300hp!
    They probably can't honestly. The Mitsubishi business structure isn't so much on the cutting edge, but based on established reliability. Engines are often retooled and updated versions of very old engines. That way they have tested reliability and can offer their industry leading warranty without issue. I'm pretty sure the engine in the Mirage was used in an older car from the early 90s. A colt maybe? I don't fully remember.

    I don't know the quality of engineering of Renaults, but even if it were excellent, without their engineering design I doubt they'd have an easy time feasibly offering their warranty, as they likely couldn't build the cars to need the same minimal maintenance with historic accuracy.

    I knew a guy who helped localize cars from the Fiat family when they merged with Chrysler. He told me that a lot of the localization engineering was shoddy. You can't really maintain the same quality when you don't make it in house with parts known and tested, not saying that Chrysler was particularly known for quality at the time but still hahaha.

    This is only my conjecture though, could be wrong.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts

    mirage engine old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    They probably can't honestly. The Mitsubishi business structure isn't so much on the cutting edge, but based on established reliability. Engines are often retooled and updated versions of very old engines. That way they have tested reliability and can offer their industry leading warranty without issue. I'm pretty sure the engine in the Mirage was used in an older car from the early 90s. A colt maybe? I don't fully remember.

    I don't know the quality of engineering of Renaults, but even if it were excellent, without their engineering design I doubt they'd have an easy time feasibly offering their warranty, as they likely couldn't build the cars to need the same minimal maintenance with historic accuracy.

    I knew a guy who helped localize cars from the Fiat family when they merged with Chrysler. He told me that a lot of the localization engineering was shoddy. You can't really maintain the same quality when you don't make it in house with parts known and tested, not saying that Chrysler was particularly known for quality at the time but still hahaha.

    This is only my conjecture though, could be wrong.
    To my best knowledge the Mirage 3A92 engine is from 2013 and especially developed for the Mirage/Space Star. It is true, however, that Mitsubishi uses engine families for a long time. In case of the Mirage/Space Star, it was a rare example of something new.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    To my best knowledge the Mirage 3A92 engine is from 2013 and especially developed for the Mirage/Space Star. It is true, however, that Mitsubishi uses engine families for a long time. In case of the Mirage/Space Star, it was a rare example of something new.
    Not as old as I thought at 2003, but not new.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_3A9_engine

    Maybe the 3A92 revision was made in 2013? Not all new though.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

    MetroMPG (04-24-2017)

  6. #45
    Senior Member HitShane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 73 Times in 62 Posts
    I will say that the German built 3A92 engine was a much cleaner and more efficient engine then the 4b11 in my Outlander Sport. I did the oil changes in my Mirage at 8000 Miles and the oil would come out pretty damn clean looking, but after 3500 miles in my Outlander Sport the oil is straight-up black. That just goes to show you how much 20 years of engineering makes a difference in building clean and efficient engines.
    Last edited by HitShane; 04-24-2017 at 12:07 PM.

  7. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts

    Unhappy 3A91 engine

    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Not as old as I thought at 2003, but not new.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_3A9_engine

    Maybe the 3A92 revision was made in 2013? Not all new though.
    One illusion less in life...

    I was under the impression that it was a new engine because of (improved MIVEC) and the super thin head gasket they used for the first time. Ah well... Thanks

  8. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    One illusion less in life...

    I was under the impression that it was a new engine because of (improved MIVEC) and the super thin head gasket they used for the first time. Ah well... Thanks
    It's better that some of it is old rather than it be all new. It's been tested and improved upon. One less thing to worry about haha

    Also, cheaper parts when it does come time to fix

  9. #48
    Junior Member Tuques's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    California
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 23 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Some more tea leaves to read:

    Nissan has confirmed they will assemble the new Micra (a.k.a. March) in Thailand (where the Mirage is built) under the Thai "Eco Car" program. This is the same program that the Mirage is in, where to qualify for manufacturing incentives the cars must be built with small displacement, fuel-efficient engines.





    Source: http://paultan.org/2017/01/18/new-ni...thai-eco-cars/

    So that means both Mitsu and Nissan are building their city cars in the same country. That suggests the door is wide open for platform sharing.
    Yes the door is off the hinges as Carlos Ghosn describes in his latest 6-year plan ...

    - More than 9 million vehicles to share four common platforms
    - Proportion of common powertrains to rise from a third to three-quarters of total volumes
    - Additional synergies expected from electrification, connectivity and autonomous technologies
    - 12 pure electric models to be launched, utilizing common EV platforms and components
    - 40 vehicles to be launched with autonomous drive (AD) technology
    - To become an operator of robo-vehicle ride-hailing services

    https://media.group.renault.com/glob...revoit-des-ven
    Tuques

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tuques For This Useful Post:

    Eggman (09-16-2017),inuvik (09-18-2017),MetroMPG (09-16-2017)

  11. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    portland, or
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
    That new Micra, or whatever it is, has a strong family resemblance to current Nissan SUV's. Can anyone see the Volvo P1800 in those 'finlets' at the rear. Not a bad look (the fins), though I could do without Nissan's front end.

  12. #50
    Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Seattle
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    351
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 88 Times in 64 Posts
    I'm not sure about current French quality but from my knowledge of the past, French cars aren't really the place you want to go to quality.


    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

    Cobrajet (09-19-2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •