Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we expect in the next [7th] generation Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honestly, if the Micra had been available in the U.S., I would've bought one. I think it'd benefit Mitsubishi to have the "new" Micra for sale as a Mirage.

That would put you in the majority, if Canada is any indication. Here, Micra out-sells Mirage about 4 to 1.

Having spent several weeks with both the base "$9988" Micra (2015) and the top trim version, I totally get why the Micra has been winning the sales race. With 109 hp and taut handling (2 stablizer bars standard on the Canadian version, even on the base trim), it's a car you can buy with your heart, vs. the Mirage, which you buy with your head.

Canadian autojournos almost universally loved the Micra, while the Mirage got mixed reviews.

See also: Micra Cup racing series.

Mirage's advantages appear to be better reliability, definitely better warranty and superior fuel economy. Yet a lot more people are going for the Micra.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The current Micra and Versa share a lot of components. Having owned a new Versa sedan before buying my Mirage, I have to share that the Versa/Micra are more powerful, better driving, roomier, and actually get better hwy MPG with the CVT. With that said, they don't offer a lot of the nice creature comforts of the Mirage, and their overall quality and reliability is abysmal in comparison. Plus the warranty is very short. So basically, they make a better first impression with how they drive, so you're sucked into buying one, but then you find out pretty quickly they are quite junky.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to palebeachbum For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-23-2017)

Thing is, in Canada (and the rest of the western hemisphere markets) the Micra is only available with an old-school 4AT slushbox. So the CVT Mirage beats its MPG easily.

Of course the Euro/JDM Micras only come with CVT as the automatic option.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @palebeachbum - I was surprised to see you reported Versa gets better highway mileage than Mirage and checked numbers on fueleconomy.gov. None of the posts there show the combined Versa mileage to be better than Mirage. I would agree that minor things like AC use and stop and go have a big impact on Mirage mileage. I see over 50 on my to work, traffic free commute, but in the 30's on my stop and go return trip. Can Versa get mid-40's to mid-50's with sustained highway cruising at 55?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At interstate speeds (65+mph) I found my Versa to be more fuel efficient. Cruising behind a semi going 65 one time I got 49.8mpg. Comparatively, I've never seen better than 44mpg at that speed in my Mirage. The Versa averaged 44mpg cruising 70-80 on a 400 mile interstate trip on one tank. The CVT in the Versa has a totally different personality than the CVT in the Mirage. At highway speed, the CVT feel like it has a lock up torque converter. The RPM doesn't vary at all with throttle input to accelerate to pass or get up an incline at highway speeds, whereas the Mirage RPM bobs up and down constantly with throttle input at highway speeds. That seems to make a big different in the highway MPG of these 2 cars. I used to have a long commute on rural, hilly 55mph country roads. With both cars I averaged in the 40-42mpg range. The Versa is a bigger, heavier car with more power, so that really is a testament to the economy of these 2 cars. I still wouldn't touch a Versa again until Nissan ups their warranty to match Mitsubishi's. The quality and reliability were awful.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    The aerodynamic advantage of drafting behind a truck changes the numbers dramatically. One time I drafted a truck and got MPGs in the 70s.

In my Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The aerodynamic advantage of drafting behind a truck changes the numbers dramatically. One time I drafted a truck and got MPGs in the 70s.

In my Mirage!
    Was that instant economy or over a duration of miles? I've seen instances online of people saying they get unusually high MPG, but that's when resetting the mpg meter or starting fresh. That doesn't count! LOL For fairness and accuracy, only tank to tank MPG should be shared. I wish the MPG meter on the Mirage showed instant economy in addition to the avg. mpg reading like the Versa does though. That's one feature I miss. It helped me drive easier to maximize my mpg.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    Was that instant economy or over a duration of miles? I've seen instances online of people saying they get unusually high MPG, but that's when resetting the mpg meter or starting fresh. That doesn't count! LOL For fairness and accuracy, only tank to tank MPG should be shared.
    You are right there! I agree. For my drafting experience, I recall my MPGs were somewhere in the 50s as we rolled down the road. When I found this truck in some fairly thick traffic going about 55 mph, I started following and watched my MPGs start to climb. When the truck exited after about 20 miles or so, my MID-A gauge was showing in the 70s. So while it wasn't the whole trip, it was a good representation. I also monitor my fuel consumption in real time (see below)...

Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    I wish the MPG meter on the Mirage showed instant economy in addition to the avg. mpg reading like the Versa does though. That's one feature I miss. It helped me drive easier to maximize my mpg.
    I got a OBDLink LX bluetooth OBD-II adapter and use it's software to monitor instant MPGs along with some other parameters. I'm not familiar with ScanGauge or other similar products, but it is my understanding a bluetooth adapter with some software for a smart phone gives much more functionality. It might take a while, but I'm sure that by using the instant feedback by monitoring instant fuel economy trains my driving style enough to pay off the investment. That, and I suppose some day it might even help troubleshoot and diagnose some problem. I recommend you consider getting one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The versa is an example of a large engine getting decent mpg in a light car. It will be close to a mirage on highway but not better, I'm guessing 40-42 hwy versa and 48-50 mirage. With no ac tires at 50psi I was able to get 56mpg from my mirage, that's with shutting the engine off a 3-4 times over 150 miles.. Most of the time I'm around 45-47 mpg 55-60mph driving easy but not hypermiling.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)