Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we expect in the next [7th] generation Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi Motors is a lot of things but fast to market isn’t one of them. The Mirage could coast for 2 years in the U.S. thanks to:
    • amortized tooling
    • weak competition -> expanding sales volume last 3 years
    • alliance platform sharing timetable

Role model …

Name:  VW.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  74.4 KB

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuques For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-10-2018),Eggman (11-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    By 2020, The current Mirage will seem laughably outdated.
    Agreed. They can't afford to coast in their important markets... and the U.S. isn't the Mirage's important market, by far.

The strategy for the car will be dictated by what's happening in the part of the world where the car has sold in much higher numbers. Within 2 years of job-one, Mitsu already sold something like 200,000 Mirages in southeast Asia -- where there's much more intense A-segment competition -- before it even arrived on US shores. (Even Nissan admitted that Mitsu's higher success in developing countries was one reason it wanted to hook up.)

The competition in those countries are running on 6-7 year model cycles. Mitsu can't afford to stretch much more than that, and the car first went on sale in 2012.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The aerodynamic advantage of drafting behind a truck changes the numbers dramatically. One time I drafted a truck and got MPGs in the 70s.

In my Mirage!
    When I draft a semi with my Burgman bike I see >100mpg imperial.

I personally think the current Micra looks too rounded at the rear. And a bit weird at the front. I have rented a few and would place some Hyundai/Kia/Scion compatable models head and shoulders above a Micra.

I agree the Versa can get good mileage. I pushed one hard for 1400 kms and got 44mpg from it. A Maxima I had got <30mpg. I pushed a CVT Mirage hard and got nearly 60mpg. Lousy Fiat 500 I rented got about 33mpg. And had horrible oversteer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Next gen Renault Clio preview published 5 Jan 2018 by Autoexpress. "An electrified powertrain and basic autonomous driving functions will be introduced on the new model, which is likely to be the brand’s headline act at September’s Paris Motor Show before going on sale in 2019." No way can MMNA roll out a model year 2019 new 'Alliance' platform Mirage in U.S. showrooms this fall. The current design will labor on thru 2019 or skip a year. Good news for current gen Mirage fans, deep discounts/rebates ahead.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuques For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuques View Post
    No way can MMNA roll out a model year 2019 new 'Alliance' platform Mirage in U.S. showrooms this fall.
    Why not? This "new" Clio is built on the platform the K14 Micra uses (from what I've read), which has been on sale since mid-2017.

I'm not arguing that the next Mirage is likely to be a 2019 model year badge-engineered Micra / Clio, but I don't see it as impossible if all they're doing is some styling tweaks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agree a fresh 2019 Mirage is possible but I doubt it for a few reasons. Mitsubishi's 2016 entry into the Alliance may have caused them to change many future product plans including the Mirage.

Per paultan.org 7 Nov 2017, "The Clio is currently in its fourth generation, and was given a facelift in mid-2016. Meanwhile, the fifth-generation March (Micra) was introduced at last year’s (2016) Paris Motor Show. Both cars use the same V platform, but will switch to a new one (called CMF-B) for next generation models." MMNA public comments point to a CMF-B Mirage.

MMNA has a track record of standing pat with old designs (Lancer) and telegraphing product plans way ahead of actual delivery date (Outlander PHEV). It would be uncharacteristic of them to be silent now about a Mirage redesign entering showrooms in 9 months.
    Last edited by Tuques; 01-09-2018 at 06:02 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuques For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-09-2018),MetroMPG (01-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Autocar article published 6-March-2018: Mitsubishi Colt could return as rival to Renault Clio

Excerpts:
    European sales and marketing boss Guillaume Cartier said the brand “is working on” a Clio rival but a decision is not yet finalised. “It’s a question of what is needed,” adding that a model must sell at least 100,000 units globally to be justified ... Talking at the Geneva motor show, Cartier confirmed no all-new models would launch before 2020 ...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuques For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-12-2018),MetroMPG (03-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A Renault-based Mitsubishi...sigh.

That article implies the Mirage name will be dropped in favour of resurrecting the Colt name, rather than developing a new model alongside it:

Mitsubishi's current offering in the supermini market, the Mirage, was criticised from launch for being outclassed in most areas by many rivals.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes I was going to say maybe time to register coltforum.com but it's been taken since 2004 and is an active firearms site. Coltboard.com is available to register for a rainy day.