Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we expect in the next [7th] generation Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

Here's my newest theory:

I can see Mitsu doing a rebadged Nissan/Renault for Europe and possibly North America, where the Mirage was met with the harshest criticism. Possibly call it the Colt and drop the Mirage name.

The problem is the very important ASEAN market: the Mirage was a huge success there (200k before the first 2 years), and was intentionally designed to straddle the A/B segment, unlike the Clio/Micra. They won't want to upsize to a B for those markets. The Clio/Micra variant may be too expensive, and also there's no sedan version, which is important (see Philippines).

I bet ASEAN countries continue to get the Mirage based on an evolution of the current platform. I suspect design work on the next gen Mirage was well under way before the Nissan merger.

I actually dreamed up this theory and THEN stumbled on this article saying many of the same things...

(from November 2017)

...the next Mirage, which is due in 2019. The architecture should be an update of the current car's, which is called 'MMC Global Small'.

[...]

The next Attrage / [Mirage G4 sedan] should be on sale from mid-2019.

At the moment, MMC has no B segment/Subcompact car. This situation should be remedied in 2020 or 2021, when a new model based upon the next generation Renault Clio is added. It will likely be built in Thailand and/or Europe.
    Source: https://www.just-auto.com/analysis/a..._id179448.aspx

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-14-2018)

PS: on timing for the US market, I wouldn't expect the next gen Mirage to appear on these shores soon after production starts (ie. requiring marketing in place by the end of this year).

As with the current Mirage when production started in 2012, they will build for ASEAN markets first, then export to Japan/Europe/NA once the bugs have been worked out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I was also really hoping they had development underway for the next gen Mirage before the Nissan merger. I'd rather not have another Versa Leaf or Micra.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I wouldn't mind a Clio/Micra variant if it means we get one of the turbocharged engines. Maybe even the RenaultSport!

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As MetroMPG said, the other car variants are simply too expensive. The Mirage was a car built for a lower income market and then they saw there might be demand for the car in wealthier nations. If they do the new Mirage variant based on the Leaf or Micra it will only come to the richer nations, and not to the lower income nations.
    Last edited by Marklovski; 03-15-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    If I wanted a faster, more powerful car, I would have had to pay twice as much as what I did. If I wanted a faster car, there are so many other models to choose from.

I do not want to pay more for simple transportation. I no longer have a need for More Power or Better Handling at the added expense of tens of thousands of dollars. This Mirage fits my needs just fine - please don't add to it.

The Mirage leaves me wanting nothing. It works fine and is reliable. Why change that?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

daleWV (03-16-2018),emdeplam (03-16-2018),Pryme (03-16-2018),tomrad (03-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree. Keep it the way it is!!! One of the reasons I bought two is because it had that lil 3 cyl N/A engines with a timing chain. Very basic. 5spd. Amazing mileage. Awesome warranty for cheap. Period.

It's it was 5k more with a racey turbo I wouldn't have 2 in my garage.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I agree. Keep it the way it is!!! One of the reasons I bought two is because it had that lil 3 cyl N/A engines with a timing chain. Very basic. 5spd. Amazing mileage. Awesome warranty for cheap. Period.

It's it was 5k more with a racey turbo I wouldn't have 2 in my garage.
    I agree with Pryme! Keep the Mirage like it is! If there is a desire for a larger & more powerful version of the Mirage, Mitsubishi should create another model in their line up. A larger model would have to compete with most everything out there already. That market is already flooded with competition. How many cheap, reliable, & great warranty car options are out there?

In recent years, so many models have evolved into such similar looks. My dad recently bought a new GMC Terrain. It looks just like Ford's, Honda's, Toyota's, Hyundai's, KIA's version of the same thing. Boring! I'd hate to see that happen to the Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Very basic.
    And yet it's not so basic.

From the 2017 model year pricing guide, the following are listed as features. Look over the list and consider each item. These days, some items are considered necessary in today's market yet only a few model generations ago were not even optional for economy cars.

AIR CONDITIONING CLIMATE CONTROL
    ELECTRIC POWER STEERING ASSIST
    TILT STEERING WHEEL
    MULTI-INFORMATION METER DISPLAY
    ECO DRIVE STATUS INDICATOR LIGHT (CVT ONLY)
    DUAL SUNVISORS
    PIANO BLACK CENTER PANEL
    140-WATT CD/MP3 AUDIO W/ 4 SPEAKERS
    USB AUXILARY INPUT
    FRONT SEAT CUP HOLDERS
    KEYLESS ENTRY W/ PANIC ALARM
    POWER DOOR LOCKS AND SIDE VIEW MIRRORS
    POWER WINDOWS W/ DRIVER AUTO UP/DOWN
    VARIABLE INTERMITTENT WIPERS
    REAR WIPER/WASHER
    FRONT ASSIST GRIPS
    GLOVE BOX
    CONSOLE TRAY
    DOOR TRIM POCKETS W/ BOTTLE HOLDER
    CENTER ROOM LAMP
    CARGO ROOM LAMP
    CARGO AREA COVER
    14-INCH STEEL WHEELS W/ WHEEL COVERS
    P165/65R14 LOW ROLLING RESISTANCE TIRES
    SPACE SAVER TEMPORARY SPARE TIRE
    7 AIRBAG SRS SYSTEM INC DRIVERS KNEE AIRBAG
    REAR HEATER FLOOR DUCTS
    FLOOR MATS
    12-VOLT POWER OUTLET
    5 PASSENGER SEATING
    REAR SPLIT FOLD SEATS
    ADJUSTABLE FRONT SEATBELT ANCHORS
    FRONT MACPHERSON STRUTS W/ STABILIZER BAR
    REAR TORSION BEAM SUSPENSION
    FRONT DISC BRAKES
    REAR DRUM BRAKES
    AUTO OFF HALOGEN HEADLAMPS
    LED TAIL LIGHTS
    COLOR-KEYED FRONT AND REAR BUMPER
    COLOR-KEYED OUTER DOOR HANDLES AND SIDE-VIEW MIRRORS
    REAR SPOILER
    SHORT POLE ANTENNA
    CHROME ACCENTED HVAC AND AUDIO PANELS
    HILL START ASSIST
    And don't forget antilock brakes! (I didn't see them listed.)

SE adds:
    14-INCH ALLOY WHEELS
    DISPLAY AUDIO WITH SMARTPHONE LINK W/ APPLE CARPLAY™ AND ANDROID AUTO™
    REARVIEW CAMERA
    SEMI HIGH-CONTRAST METER GAUGE CLUSTER
    LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL AND SHIFT KNOB
    AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL AIR CONDITIONING
    PUSH BUTTON START
    FAST-KEY PASSIVE ENTRY
    BLUETOOTH HANDS-FREE PHONE SYSTEM WITH STEERING WHEEL MOUNTED CONTROLS AND USB PORT
    STEERING WHEEL MOUNTED AUDIO CONTROL
    STEERING WHEEL MOUNTED CRUISE CONTROL
    FOG LIGHTS
    SIDE-VIEW MIRROR TURN INDICATORS
    SE BADGE
    SEAT HEIGHT ADJUSTER
    GLOSS BLACK DOOR PANEL ACCENT
    CHROME DOOR LEVERS
    STEERING WHEEL WITH GLOSS BLACK DECORATION

GT adds:
    15-INCH TWO-TONE ALLOY WHEELS
    HID HEADLIGHTS W/ LIGHT TUBE
    HEATED FRONT SEATS
    GT BADGE

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mirage does come very nicely equipped for the class. I was impressed with the content when i first test drove one. I couldn't see myself paying literally $6,000 more for a Yaris or Fit that'd still be missing some of the features.