Thread: Deer Collision With 2015 Mirage with VIDEO!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Deer Collision With 2015 Mirage with VIDEO!

I don't think I posted this in the past but there seemed to be some interest when I was mentioning a check engine light issue that may have been caused by a loose connector possibly caused by this incident or the repair.

Anyway, I hit the deer going pretty fast and the damage was surprisingly not as bad as I would expect. It needed a new front bumper, hood, left fender, and anything related to the driver side door. The door was caved in and I had to get out the other side. The left fender was rubbing the tire so I got out and pulled this off by hand. I checked for fluid leaks and just kept driving when all seemed well.

Anyway, it is kinda nice having a hood with paint on the underside now that it was replaced and repainted. The body shop did a great job and you can't tell the difference.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jzurSbVMU

The jolt before I hit the deer is me hitting the brakes so fast and hard that the antilocks didn't even kick in. IT skidded into the deer and smoked the tires.

Conor

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cwatkin For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-04-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I don't think I posted this in the past but there seemed to be some interest when I was mentioning a check engine light issue that may have been caused by a loose connector possibly caused by this incident or the repair.

Anyway, I hit the deer going pretty fast and the damage was surprisingly not as bad as I would expect. It needed a new front bumper, hood, left fender, and anything related to the driver side door. The door was caved in and I had to get out the other side. The left fender was rubbing the tire so I got out and pulled this off by hand. I checked for fluid leaks and just kept driving when all seemed well.

Anyway, it is kinda nice having a hood with paint on the underside now that it was replaced and repainted. The body shop did a great job and you can't tell the difference.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jzurSbVMU

The jolt before I hit the deer is me hitting the brakes so fast and hard that the antilocks didn't even kick in. IT skidded into the deer and smoked the tires.

Conor
    Insurance may have total the car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Makes me cringe every time I see it, Conor! I think it may have something to do with deer being so pervasive around here and your Mirage being the same color as mine?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What happen to the deer... RIP?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, deer are all over in Missouri as well and are becoming a nuisance in some locations. My parents live in St. Louis and have electric fence around their yard to keep them out as they eat everything. People at least hunt them in the rural areas so there aren't a many around here.

I don't know what happened to the deer. I probably should have stopped to see if it was needing to be put out of its misery as I always pack a pistol with me. I was am my way to a job and pissed and was trying to find a place to stop to see if the car was damaged to where I couldn't drive it. Once I pulled the fender out I just kept going to the job with blood on my arm from the glass hitting me so hard. I called the guy and told him what happened so I would be delayed but made it there and crawled out the door on the other side.

No, it wasn't totaled. They repaired it and was wondering if that played a role in my sensor issue.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Hey Conor how's it been running since you re-seated those connectors?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It has been running just fine and I have probably put over 100 miles on it since then.

Conor

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cwatkin For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-05-2016)