Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ways to decrease rolling resistance with brand new tires?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got new tires a couple of weeks ago and after 500 miles they are riding better and I got better mpg on the 2nd tank. I went to Ecopia Plus 185-55-15 tires on a 6.5in wheel. I was getting 41.5 mpg with the Ensaves. The first tank wasn't great wi the larger wheels. I added a bit more air 38psi, and the second tank was at 39.5 mi/gal with the new wheels and tires.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to roscoe1972 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-07-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The gas mileage is still pretty bad even after 3000 miles or so. I have been running these tires at 38psi at all corners. I am averaging 33.5 mpg mixed driving (mostly city..down from 39.5), hwy driving took the biggest hit! About 34-35 mpg at 70mph down from 44 mpg. I cant believe tires alone would make this big of a difference! any more ideas?
    Last edited by 604_guy; 03-15-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 604_guy View Post
    The gas mileage is still pretty bad even after 3000 miles or so.
    ...I cant believe tires alone would make this big of a difference! any more ideas?
    Well...you picked the absolute worst time of the year to get new tires. I think a few things are not helping you right now...

1) Normal (not low rolling resistance) tires
    2) Winter-blended gasoline
    3) Cold temperatures
    4) Has your car ever had an alignment check?

My fuel mileage dropped an easy 10% with winter blended fuel and cold temps. This car really does not like cold air temperatures! I get my worst mileage every time the temps fall significantly.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 03-15-2017 at 06:03 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Haha you can say so, one of my stock tires had a bulge in them and knowing how bad they are in winter conditions (I'm glad I got the generals, we got lots of snow this winter..super unusual, these tires performed like champ..at the expense of mileage). I actually wasn't aware this car doesn't like cold temperatures, I was thinking cold air is best (dense) when it comes to air fuel ratio mix. Well my coyote (2014 Mustang GT) rips in colder temperatures, but then again I don't think it's fair to compare 520 crank HP to 75 lool. I'm actually losing out on about 16-18% gas mileage, I'm hopefully things might change with summer blend

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good info from a tire rack: https://www.tirerack.com/landing/fuel_efficiency.jsp

Has anyone tried the Bridgestone Potenza RE92?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Garbage reviews