Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mirage ALIGNMENT ISSUE

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I do remember the shop that put the tires on telling me that the front alignment was just a tiny bit off but not in any need for an alignment at all, but the rear alignment was off and needed to be realigned but they could not do it as they didn't have shimmers on hand. Is the rear alignment covered under factory warranty by chance?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was told that the rear alignment was off and I have to order Shimmers before I can get the alignment done. Is that something that just covered under factory warranty by chance?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eco1.2 View Post
    I was told that the rear alignment was off and I have to order Shimmers before I can get the alignment done. Is that something that just covered under factory warranty by chance?
    The rear axle on these cars cannot be adjusted. The axle will have to be replaced.

Refer to this thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? It's a long thread, but it details other's experiences with rear axle alignment.

I got mine checked while under the first-year warranty. The dealer found it slightly out of spec and agreed to replace it free of charge.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...2015 mirage de with 19k...just put brand new tires on it
    ...steering wheel not centered...have to turn it about 4-5 degrees to the left to drive straight
    ...uncentered wheel...was there even before the new tires were put on
    ...the old tires...were pretty shot and even the steel was coming out
    ...rotated the tires every 5000 miles religiously
    ...the rear alignment was off
    ...they could not do it as they didn't have shimmers on hand
    Your car has the classic symptoms of a rear axle where the toe angle is out of specification:
    1) You're rear tires are wearing out quickly
    2) You have to turn the steering wheel to compensate for the bad rear toe angle

Incorrect rear toe settings can wear your rear tires down to nothing in several thousand miles. Here's a blurb from Tire Rack's website...

"...the vehicle's toe is one of the most critical alignment settings relative to tire wear. A toe setting that is just a little off its appropriate setting can make a huge difference in their wear. Consider that if the toe setting is just 1/16-inch off of its appropriate setting, each tire on that axle will scrub almost seven feet sideways every mile! Extend it out and you'll discover that rather than running parallel to each other, the tires will scrub over 1/4-mile sideways during every 100 miles of driving! Incorrect toe will rob you of tire life."

You were doing the right thing by rotating your tires. Unfortunately, your rear tires were always being worn down at an accelerated rate. So all of your tires ended up bald in less than 20K miles. If you never rotated your tires, your rears would have probably been toast in 10K miles. If the tire shop still has your old tires, go take some pictures of the tread wear patterns on them.

I would start with a 4 wheel alignment print-out from an independent shop with a quality alignment machine. Your current printout might be OK...but these guys sure don't sound that knowledgeable. The printout should clearly document your rear alignment problem. Then take the car to your dealer with a specific complaint like this:

"Car doesn't track straight. Steering wheel has to be turned to the left. Rear tires wearing out prematurely."

Don't go in and TELL the service manager that you know that your rear alignment is out. Let them find it and get it documented on a service order. This may be the first step towards getting a new rear axle (the only real fix for your problem if you have a rear toe problem).

As Eggman suggested, read the "Rear Wheel Misaligned?" thread to see what others have done in your situation.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 11-23-2016 at 08:47 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-23-2016),poorman1 (11-23-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is thread your want for all there is to know about some of our cars with the rear axle out of alignment: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...y-replacement)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As others have said, the rear is unshimmable and Mitsubishi knows this. I told my service manager I would print the 40+ pages of people discussing this problem and take it all the way to management if I had to, and they immediately backed down and offered me a loaner while we figured the problem out. Within a day, they were telling me "oh, the alignment is outside of factory specs(i knew this) and its actually totally unadjustable due to how the wheels mount directly to rear torsion beam(I knew this, too) so what we're gonna do is replace your entire rear beam assembly. It's a warranty job, so you keep that loaner til-blah blah blah"

Be adamant that this is unrepairable and that Mitsubishi knows this. It is a warranty repair, and you won't be happy until you see a readout from a fresh beam showing specs within factory tolerances. The factory limits are hella wide, IMO, and I was happy enough just to get within that. Other people are more picky, but I'll take what I can get.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnBn View Post
    As others have said, the rear is unshimmable and Mitsubishi knows this. I told my service manager I would print the 40+ pages of people discussing this problem and take it all the way to management if I had to, and they immediately backed down and offered me a loaner while we figured the problem out. Within a day, they were telling me "oh, the alignment is outside of factory specs(i knew this) and its actually totally unadjustable due to how the wheels mount directly to rear torsion beam(I knew this, too) so what we're gonna do is replace your entire rear beam assembly. It's a warranty job, so you keep that loaner til-blah blah blah"

Be adamant that this is unrepairable and that Mitsubishi knows this. It is a warranty repair, and you won't be happy until you see a readout from a fresh beam showing specs within factory tolerances. The factory limits are hella wide, IMO, and I was happy enough just to get within that. Other people are more picky, but I'll take what I can get.
    Mitsubishi dealer says they have not heard of any rear alignment issues with the mirage. Then sounded like a real asshole over the phone when I asked him about the fog lights, because I didn't want to purchase them from their parts Dept. I've interacted with 3-4 Mitsubishi dealers during the time that I've had my mirage and they are the most lazy, slow, unprofessional, and incompetent people. I'll never buy another Mitsubishi because of their consistent sh!ty service! Anything I need done outside of a regular oil change, I have to take a day off and have an argument with the service dept! Fuuuuk!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Mitsubishi has acknowledged that this is a known issue that is covered under the 5 yr / 60k warranty

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post54702

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-18-2017),MightyMirageMpg (01-18-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by live4redline View Post
    If the steering wheel is not straight then the alignment shop did a poor job. They need to re-alignment the car again, free of charge. The issue is caused by an incorrect offset to the outer tie rods. For example adding a quarter inch of turn out to the driver side and then subtracting a quarter inch from the passenger side. This will show correct on the alignment rack as aligned but the steering wheel will not be straight. They essentially aligned your car with the steering wheel not centered. Nothing else can cause this without significant damage the the car.

The steering wheel, and or steering column of any Mitsubishi is UNABLE to cause this sort issue.

As an added note, you will not see this on the completed alignment sheet, but if they store the "before sheet" you should see it on there. It's going to show a plus to one side and a negative to the other indicating the wheels are not aimed straight.

Common practice at shops who do alignments is to show the car is out of aligntment to justify paying for it. So for example a car comes in with a perfect alignment. In order to "sell" it to the customer, they will turn the wheel so the starting sheet shows the car is out of alignment. Then they bull **** a bit and turn the wheels straight and print off the final. The customer never knows the diffrwnce and you bought an alignment you didn't need. It sounds like your tech either lost train of thought or handed it off while trying to scam you, or simply just did a bad job.
    My alignment is straight and I just put new tires on and the car go straight and steering wheel off center, I will adjust it this weekend and see..

Here is how to adjust based on the factory manualName:  wheel.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  88.0 KB

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2015 Mirage ES with Navigation was always spot on with its alignment and the steering wheel was dead center. Well I just purchased a 2017 Mirage G4 SE and noticed its steering wheel was slightly off to the left. If you set it straight it went right. Well I took it in to have it aligned and they took their time and got it aligned and centered my steering wheel perfect! I dont know why but as we have all seen it seems like they leave the factory like this and I cant imagine how it goes un-noticed ya know? But anyway I Name:  IMG_7543.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  91.5 KBabsolutely love my G4!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
    My alignment is straight and I just put new tires on and the car go straight and steering wheel off center, I will adjust it this weekend and see..

Here is how to adjust based on the factory manualName:  wheel.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  88.0 KB

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirage ES Navi For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-07-2017)