Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2015 Mirage ALIGNMENT ISSUE

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eco1.2 View Post
    Thanks Eggman! By the way, I thought they would replace the axle with one that can be aligned if it gets out of wack in the future, but it's the same axle. So how do we alignment it in the future? Have to pay to replace the axle? Sounds like I need to sell this car soon...
    The rear axle is not adjustable in it's alignment. This is not an unusual configuration, there are other small cars that use this type of arrangement (Honda Fit for example). If the replacement axle was not within specs then Mitsubishi needs to replace it AGAIN. Frustrating I know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    If the replacement axle was not within specs then Mitsubishi needs to replace it AGAIN.
    That's the dilemma that eco1.2 has now, unfortunately. The rear toe settings of his replacement axle look great...but now one of the rear camber settings is slightly out of spec. That's a bummer...but on the bright side he's better off now than he was before.

eco1.2...

If they replace your axle again, there's no guarantee it will be better than what you have now. In fact, it could be worse. Mitsubishi isn't going to keep putting replacement axles in your car until everything looks perfect. I would certainly rather have your replacement axle as opposed to your original one.

Your steering wheel positioning is still a bit troubling. A slight camber variation on one side of your rear axle shouldn't cause a noticeable pull requiring constant steering wheel correction. If it was me, I'd probably have the alignment checked at another shop to verify the numbers. Also, consider rotating your tires to see if that affects the slight pull you have now.

While we're on the topic... Has anyone on this forum actually had a dealer replace their rear axle more than once?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Well, I wouldn't go so far as to start considering selling your Mirage. Drive it and see how it holds up. Many cars are designed with rear wheels whose camber is set (tilted in) for improved cornering, and there are other cars with a axle design similar to the Mirage. From what I understand, some have worse alignment problems.

The Mirage is a simple economy car - I doubt it's design will ever see an adjustable rear axle.

It is what it is - small, safe, efficient transportation. I think you'll be fine.

Make a garage entry already! Tell us how your Mirage holds up over time.

Last edited by Eggman; 05-27-2017 at 03:46 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)