Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mirage ALIGNMENT ISSUE

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2015 Mirage ALIGNMENT ISSUE

Hello all, so my 2015 mirage de with 19k has an alignment problem. I just put brand new tires on it and hand an alignment job done and noticed that the car tracks straight when I take my hand off the wheel, but the steering wheel is not centered and you have to turn it about 4-5 degrees to the left to drive straight. I called the shop about 10 min after leaving and the owner said that he aligned it perfectly and it's probably an issue with my steering column. Mind you it did this before I got the new tires and alignment job done. In fact, when they put the new tires on, they checked the alignment and said it was good, but I paid them to do it anyway, because the steering was off center. Is this a problem with my steering column or did the shop not align something properly? It's irritating the hell out of me to see the steering wheel cocked to the left slightly going in a straight line!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Some rear axles are manufactured out of spec, which could cause this.

Do you have the alignment spec print out that they would have had if they did the alignment?
    We could better answer if we had that, without it, it's all guessing.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hard to tell what's causing the alignment problems for you, as it could be any number of things. Do you have an alignment result printout to post? Numbers would help make sense of what you are facing. Did your shop just say 'All's Well' or did they provide results? Did you witness the alignment check and adjustment?

Also, are you aware of the rear axle alignment problems these cars have?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the steering wheel is not straight then the alignment shop did a poor job. They need to re-alignment the car again, free of charge. The issue is caused by an incorrect offset to the outer tie rods. For example adding a quarter inch of turn out to the driver side and then subtracting a quarter inch from the passenger side. This will show correct on the alignment rack as aligned but the steering wheel will not be straight. They essentially aligned your car with the steering wheel not centered. Nothing else can cause this without significant damage the the car.

The steering wheel, and or steering column of any Mitsubishi is UNABLE to cause this sort issue.

As an added note, you will not see this on the completed alignment sheet, but if they store the "before sheet" you should see it on there. It's going to show a plus to one side and a negative to the other indicating the wheels are not aimed straight.

Common practice at shops who do alignments is to show the car is out of aligntment to justify paying for it. So for example a car comes in with a perfect alignment. In order to "sell" it to the customer, they will turn the wheel so the starting sheet shows the car is out of alignment. Then they bull **** a bit and turn the wheels straight and print off the final. The customer never knows the diffrwnce and you bought an alignment you didn't need. It sounds like your tech either lost train of thought or handed it off while trying to scam you, or simply just did a bad job.
    Last edited by live4redline; 11-20-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by live4redline View Post
    The steering wheel, and or steering column of any Mitsubishi is UNABLE to cause this sort issue.
    It would be interesting to hear the explanation, though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I take it back... on the Lancers/Evolutions you can do this with the steering wheel and column. But it requires taking the steering wheel completely off and putting it back on out of center. (which if you do, and go too far, risks damaging the clock spring.) But you physically have to intentionally do it your self.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zx2uner View Post
    Some rear axles are manufactured out of spec, which could cause this.

Do you have the alignment spec print out that they would have had if they did the alignment?
    We could better answer if we had that, without it, it's all guessing.
    I have two printouts from two different shops. But i'm using my android to upload the images and I can't seem to find the upload or submit button after capturing the file. I'll keep trying!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    <Cough> There is a tiny word that says upload under the file name, once selected. It's just a word, but trying clicking it. <Cough>

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eco1.2 View Post
    I have two printouts from two different shops. But i'm using my android to upload the images and I can't seem to find the upload or submit button after capturing the file. I'll keep trying!
    Name:  image-0-02-02-90f9eb6e4aa007ac29c8a0429be6559542b3307d0ff2a9098aaa34f1d9b69190-V.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  104.5 KBName:  image-0-02-02-f78708f4d3b708400f19e7ecff01d751abaeec987cc22d3bc25f6c45be384356-V.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  93.2 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    crap, i hope everyone can see these pics! The first pic is actually AFTER the alignment job. The second pic is from a different shop where the new tires were actually installed and BEFORE any alignment was done.