Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel gauge inaccurate?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Fuel gauge inaccurate?

I have an automatic 2015 Mirage DE. I've noticed that on the last few fill-ups, my fuel gauge was close to empty (one or two bars), but I was done filling after 5.5 to 6 gallons. The tank holds 9.2 gallons, correct? In that case, at one or two bars I'd expect to fill up to 8 gallons at least. Also, my MPG since the last fill-up is 45—which means I should get approximately 415 miles on the tank. However, I'm down to the flashing single bar after 280 miles.

Is it possible that the gas gauge can become "un-callibrated"?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The fuel gauge in these cars is certainly interesting. I don't even think about refueling until I see the flashing line with no bars. I think that is roughly 7-7.5 gallons.

You can see what others have said in this thread...
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthread.php/2142-Low-Fuel-(gauge-flashes-well-before-empty)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-22-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    the capacity of the vehicle is 35 L, and I have put more than that in my car with gas in the tank. Nothing makes sense man.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When mine flashes and says zero miles left, I can only fill about 7.5 gallons. I think they went super retarded conservative so that no one will ever run out. There must be 65 plus miles left when it says zero.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    On top of that I noticed the gauge is not linear.
    The first half goes down much slower. Once I hit half tank it goes down much quicker.
    Perhaps due to the shape of the tank?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I don't think it's a malfunction. Most cars nowadays have a 'reserve' built into the capacity of the tank. I guess it is to make them more idiot-proof? Likewise, the DTE (distance 'til empty) gauge is also quite conservative.

I figure that each of the eight bars on the gauge corresponds to about 1 US gallon. So when the gauge has no bars and is flashing you have a little over a gallon left in the tank.

Now, when the gas gauge on my old Ford F150 was at "E"...well, you would need to be at a gas station or you would need to be WALKING to one!

As to your mileage, it will always go down in the winter. You are using more electrical equipment (heater, wipers, lights, etc), which puts an additional load on the engine. Plus, the cooler, denser air your car is drawing in will cause the car to run richer than it does in the summer. On top of all this is the fact that the composition of gasoline itself changes in the winter. We go from 'summer blend' to 'winter blend'. This is done to help with cold-starting and also to reduce emissions.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-23-2016),tomrad (11-28-2016),Top_Fuel (11-23-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    As to your mileage, it will always go down in the winter. You are using more electrical equipment (heater, wipers, lights, etc), which puts an additional load on the engine. Plus, the cooler, denser air your car is drawing in will cause the car to run richer than it does in the summer. On top of all this is the fact that the composition of gasoline itself changes in the winter. We go from 'summer blend' to 'winter blend'. This is done to help with cold-starting and also to reduce emissions.
    Don't forget cold motor oil and transmission fluid is thicker at colder temperatures at startup, also contributing to increased fuel consumption.

To that, some members here have reported improved fuel economy using engine block heaters - even in warmer temperatures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-23-2016)

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    +1 @ the 8gallon fuel tank.

I've ran my fuel gauge down to the blinking and then some and it comes out right under 8gal.

Record sits at 7.995 gallons and I think I was running on fumes when I pulled up to the pump.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by live4redline View Post
    +1 @ the 8gallon fuel tank.

I've ran my fuel gauge down to the blinking and then some and it comes out right under 8gal.

Record sits at 7.995 gallons and I think I was running on fumes when I pulled up to the pump.
    I actually had mine take 9.4 gallons once...now THAT was running on fumes, lol. The tank holds 9.1 gallons, but the gauge only shows us about 8 of them.

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I actually had mine take 9.4 gallons once...now THAT was running on fumes, lol. The tank holds 9.1 gallons, but the gauge only shows us about 8 of them.
    See owners manual at page 3-4. Capacity is 9.2 gallons.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-20-2017)