Thread: AutoSock?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question AutoSock?

Does any one have any experience using AutoSocks with their Mirage? Please share any negative or positive experience.

Looks like sizing would be the 540 with stock wheels/tires, $70 on Amazon. Seems like it could be an easy (and kinda cheap) option to throw in the spare space for when an ice/snow storm hits.

Just got a 2015 DE with CVT for my new commuter and just wanna be prepared. Enjoying it so far, gotta get some smoky-ish odor out. It's not too bad tho, it used to be a rental.

Thanks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.9 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Never heard of these. You'll have to tell us how they work!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Very interesting. If you should go with them, please post a report.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just remember. With chains you can run on pavement. If the roads clear up and you don't pull the auto socks off in time.. You will ruin them.
    You must live out in one of the western 11. Used to haul otr. Always chains for v

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Always chains for Vail pass. And donner. And the grapevine. And snowqualmie

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I'm going to go for it. Just started hailing, though it's small and light. When I use them, I'll post an update, but it might be a while.

BJB, yeah I see that, they seem easy enough to put on and take off that I hope that won't be an issue. This is just my commuter car, the real winter car is our Forester. I double checked because I heard about them on the radio, but they are the only non-chain, "alternative traction device" allowed under Code 15 in Colorado.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.9 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Opencage. I used to be a 48 state otr driver. Preferred chains over socks or cable. However... Should be ok for your application

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good to know, thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We got our first few inches of snow Monday night and Tuesday morning out here. First experience giving with this car in snow/slippery roads and I was duly impressed. (I have stock everything including enasaves with good tread.) The other threads about snowy handling are spot on. I surprised by starting, stopping and handling. I suppose I'll still get the autosock in case I need to drive I-70 as they (or chains) are required at times, but I certainly don't feel like I need them for my daily/regular driving.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to opencage For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-09-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by opencage View Post
    First experience giving with this car in snow/slippery roads and I was duly impressed. (I have stock everything including enasaves with good tread.)

+1! I was pleasantly surprised with my drive yesterday on snow and ice. The car gets around very good, considering the Enaslaves. I am quite happy with it.

(blank signature)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

emdeplam (12-12-2016)