Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine Oil for 3A90 Mitsubishi Mirage 2014

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    thanks will take care about the filter and oil. octane 92 is available over here in Pakistan.

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    yes its eco-idle with auto on and off when car is at zero speed for a while

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    it is ok to use high mileage oil for our mirage? any adverse effects on our engine? thnx i found shell helix 10w40

http://www.shell.com.ph/motorists/oi...ge-10w-40.html

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbai View Post
    it is ok to use high mileage oil for our mirage? any adverse effects on our engine?
    This Shell oil just sounds like it has a lot of detergents and some additives to swell seals. Your Mirage will not benefit from this. Just choose a quality synthetic oil in a weight recommended by Mitsubishi (not 10W40).

I have an old Eclipse with 160,000 miles that burns a lot of oil due to bad valve seals. I use a high-mileage oil like this in that car and it helps reduce oil consumption a little.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    thnx sir top_fuel but my concern is i have an oil on my spark plug threads all 3 plugs not in the tips or electrode, im not consuming oil or smoke at start ups, its possible that my valve stem seals are leaking a little bit? thats my purpose of using this hi mileage oil from shell. may odometer is 28,000 kilometers thnx

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    btw its has no adverse effects on the engine if i use this type of oil? thnx

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    thnx sir top_fuel but my concern is i have an oil on my spark plug threads all 3 plugs not in the tips or electrode, im not consuming oil or smoke at start ups, its possible that my valve stem seals are leaking a little bit? thats my purpose of using this hi mileage oil from shell. may odometer is 28,000 kilometers thnx
    At only 28,000Km on the odometer I definitely would NOT use a high mileage oil. I'm curious why you removed the spark plugs with such low mileage on the engine. The spark plugs are good to up to 100,000 Km. If you are not getting any oil consumption or smoke then stick with a full synthetic 0w-20 or 5w-30. I realize it's hot there but we have hot climates here in the USA and no issues with 0w-20. There have been a few issues with the 1.0 and carbon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There is nothing wrong with your engine. A small amount of oil on threads is just fine. If you're not consuming or smoking, then there's no issue. Use recommended oil, not what you're suggesting.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    thnx sir inuvik and sir alex1a1f, its my regular check up every 5k to check the spark plug for carbon and clean not the tip, i still use my stock iridiums no performance loss whatsoever. here in the philippines we usually use 5w40 or 5w30 0w20, others use 10w40 most change oil at 5,000km for mineral semi synth 7,500km interval full synth at 10,000km.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    thnx sir inuvik and sir alex1a1f, its my regular check up every 5k to check the spark plug for carbon and clean not the tip, i still use my stock iridiums no performance loss whatsoever. here in the philippines we usually use 5w40 or 5w30 0w20, others use 10w40 most change oil at 5,000km for mineral semi synth 7,500km interval full synth at 10,000km.
    Hello rabbai and a belated welcome to the forum.

I read through your earlier post about your spark plugs to get a better understanding of your concerns.

hi im from philippines i have a question regarding spark plugs, it has oil in threads but the tip has no oil, i have no oil consumption and no smoke at startup, i have a pix hope it is normal thnx

Attachment 9191
    Attachment 9192
    I see the oily residue you are referring to, but it doesn't seem to be enough of a build-up to be worrisome? Maybe one of our mechanic forum members can chime in on what your plugs look like and if it should be a concern. They look fine to me, but what do I know - I don't work on cars for a living.

What gas do you use? Some fuel suppliers have better detergent additives than others. For an example, read more at TopTierGas.com. I don't think this program is used in the Philippines but you might be able to reduce the amount of build-up by using quality gasoline with a good set of detergent additives. In my area, I stick to Amoco Regular gas sold through BP. If I'm traveling, I refer to the licensed brands for fill ups.

I don't think high-mileage motor oil will address your concerns. Instead save the extra expense and use good quality motor oil and follow the manufacturer's guidelines for oil change intervals. If you do use high-mileage motor oil, I hope you can post some before and after pictures here so we can see the your results.

Last edited by Eggman; 05-23-2017 at 09:45 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)