Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Traded after 2.5 years / 33k miles - regret buying this car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Almost every KBB review of the Mirage by the actual owners is extremely positive. I enjoy reading owners reviews and I am distrustful of the "experts" reviews.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    I can hope!....If they did do a 1.6 liter or a small turbo I would be thrilled! Im a small car fan. Of course I could get it modified myself and have a great sleeper car too.
    It's getting more and more difficult to modify cars these days.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    People in the USA are too Fickle for a sporty Hit Hatch these days. They'll move up. It is the kind of car "i" desire for sure. I drove Sprint Turbo from 1993-2010. 3 Cyl Turbo. Would LOVE a modern day safer version of that car. I now have a GTI 16v from 92, love the thing.

Many places over seas it could be a pretty big Hit. Here? as long as the price was low and it was Fast? Could do well.

Especially when gas get's expensive (again) and it will. The Mirage will likely go up in value as well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    People in the USA are too Fickle for a sporty Hit Hatch these days. They'll move up. It is the kind of car "i" desire for sure. I drove Sprint Turbo from 1993-2010. 3 Cyl Turbo. Would LOVE a modern day safer version of that car. I now have a GTI 16v from 92, love the thing.

Many places over seas it could be a pretty big Hit. Here? as long as the price was low and it was Fast? Could do well.

Especially when gas get's expensive (again) and it will. The Mirage will likely go up in value as well.
    I don't think there will ever be a performance mirage. They might add a turbo for efficiency or fancy direct injection, maybe even a diesel variant, but i don't think a performance specific mirage will ever come to light

The hot hatch segment from a car manufacture standpoint is crumbs from the bread. If the public doesn't like the car, adding a spoiler big rims and a turbocharger isn't going to help. Case in point, the Dodge Caliber SRT-4. An unpopular car somehow made even more unpopular even though it sported a fantastic engine and transmission combination. I know because in 2009 i bought one, brand new, and received $9,000 off the sticker.

Its my opinion most buyers outgrow the hot hatch type cars quite quickly. Performance cars are like doing crack. You either go hawg wild and build the car until its useless and spins the tires thru 3rd gear, or never do it again. There's no semi addicted crack-heads, so you end up with a 1-shot buyer segment with no real chance at return customers. To pander to this market is not very businus savvy.

Just my 2 cents

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-01-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great post. Well said.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (05-01-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree to a certain extent. The issues I have with my mirage are disappointing.

100k miles...

Lower ball joints too much play
    Front and rear dampers blown
    Squeaks and rattles
    Blower motor squeal on low speed
    Handling very poor without UR rear sway bar
    Steering wheel and floor mats wear very quickly
    Starter grinds flywheel
    Slow coolant loss noticed
    Driver window regulator has some play/showing wear
    rear alignment suspected to be bad (eating tires)
    1st gear uphill is awful, options: burn clutch, stall, or rattle and shake like your killing it.

It's a love hate relationship.

I love the mpg, I love the price, I love the features, I love the size.

I hate the ride quality, 1st gear up hill, it's falling apart.

I drove a friends 2007 prius with 240k miles on it and it drives like a Cadillac compared to my mirage. I'm hoping new dampers and lower control arms with ball joints, attempt to correct alignment will fix the ride quality. I hope the head gasket isn't going, wish there was a solution for no power 1st gear up hill.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alex16 do you think using your Mirage to tow a Chevette from Florida has contributed to your problems?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-04-2017),Pryme (05-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    ...Slow coolant loss noticed
    ...I hope the head gasket isn't going
    Are you suspecting a head gasket issue because of the loss of coolant? Have you ever had an oil analysis done? That will tell you for sure if traces of coolant are getting into the oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (05-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Alex16 do you think using your Mirage to tow a Chevette from Florida has contributed to your problems?
    Lol wha wha what?!?! Is there a thread on this epic journey?

Found it
    Last edited by Pryme; 05-04-2017 at 02:46 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No haven't done a oil analysis lately.

I don't think towing has contributed to this, it wasn't loaded weight. A burnt clutch, scortched brakes, manual transmission damage are the types of faults accompanied by towing fatigue.

The suspension has just worn out quickly, it's not commercial grade by any means.

Car had play in the ball joints before the Florida trip as well. Inspector told me about it at 70-80k miles. I didn't start to feel it until after 100k

I might do an oil analysis next oil change. If it is leaking into the oil there's no sense doing the 100k coolant change, top it off and limp it till it dies.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-05-2017)