Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Traded after 2.5 years / 33k miles - regret buying this car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    I agree to a certain extent. The issues I have with my mirage are disappointing.

100k miles...

Lower ball joints too much play
    Front and rear dampers blown
    Squeaks and rattles
    Blower motor squeal on low speed
    Handling very poor without UR rear sway bar
    Steering wheel and floor mats wear very quickly
    Starter grinds flywheel
    Slow coolant loss noticed
    Driver window regulator has some play/showing wear
    rear alignment suspected to be bad (eating tires)
    1st gear uphill is awful, options: burn clutch, stall, or rattle and shake like your killing it.

It's a love hate relationship.

I love the mpg, I love the price, I love the features, I love the size.

I hate the ride quality, 1st gear up hill, it's falling apart.

I drove a friends 2007 prius with 240k miles on it and it drives like a Cadillac compared to my mirage. I'm hoping new dampers and lower control arms with ball joints, attempt to correct alignment will fix the ride quality. I hope the head gasket isn't going, wish there was a solution for no power 1st gear up hill.
    I have 80k on mine, and I can pretty much agree wholeheartedly on all points...

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like poor maintenance on Alex's part.

Parts don't last forever, especially subjecting them to extremes they were never designed to handle.

You knew about wearing suspension parts 30k miles ago and let it go. Those are cheap fixes. It's a part of owning a vehicle. Same with the shocks.

There's the one guy with up to 165k on his fleet with none of these issues, but he maintains his fleet.
    Last edited by Pryme; 05-04-2017 at 01:39 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (05-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I agree to a certain extent. The issues I have with my mirage are disappointing.

100k miles...

Lower ball joints too much play
    Front and rear dampers blown
    Squeaks and rattles
    Blower motor squeal on low speed
    Handling very poor without UR rear sway bar
    Steering wheel and floor mats wear very quickly
    Starter grinds flywheel
    Slow coolant loss noticed
    Driver window regulator has some play/showing wear
    rear alignment suspected to be bad (eating tires)
    1st gear uphill is awful, options: burn clutch, stall, or rattle and shake like your killing it.

It's a love hate relationship.

I love the mpg, I love the price, I love the features, I love the size.

I hate the ride quality, 1st gear up hill, it's falling apart.

I drove a friends 2007 prius with 240k miles on it and it drives like a Cadillac compared to my mirage. I'm hoping new dampers and lower control arms with ball joints, attempt to correct alignment will fix the ride quality. I hope the head gasket isn't going, wish there was a solution for no power 1st gear up hill.
    Try not to forget that you have 100,000 MILES!

The things you are complaining about are pretty minor in the grand scheme of car problems, especially given what you use it for.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (05-05-2017),Eggman (05-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Try not to forget that you have 100,000 MILES!

The things you are complaining about are pretty minor in the grand scheme of car problems, especially given what you use it for.
    I love your posts, they're always on point.

The fact that you're complaining about your clutch/first gear after what you have pulled/done to it, well beyond what it was designed for, makes no sense. You should be happy you didn't do more damage. Also, pulling too much weight or cargo puts stress on a lot more things then just the items you mentioned.
    (blank signature)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (05-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    I love your posts, they're always on point.

The fact that you're complaining about your clutch/first gear after what you have pulled/done to it, well beyond what it was designed for, makes no sense. You should be happy you didn't do more damage. Also, pulling too much weight or cargo puts stress on a lot more things then just the items you mentioned.
    If he is still running the original clutch at 100k, then that clutch owes him NOTHING.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hardest working Mirage Award anybody? It could be a new poll.

I'd like to see how long his Mirage lasts. It's gone through a lot already.

I'm impressed.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-05-2017 at 12:49 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hardest working Mirage Award anybody? It could be a new poll.

I'd like to see how long his Mirage lasts. It's gone through a lot already.

I'm impressed.
    Its like Harrison Ford said to Karen Allen in "Raiders of the Lost Ark"....

"It aint the years, honey. Its the MILEAGE."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (05-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Haha so far in my life the strongest car I've ever seen was a 1998 ford crown Victoria

Purchased new in 1998 by my uncle, a police officer. They offered a police package in the cv "p71", and they offered a base trim model that could be used for police work (a regular crown Victoria with rubber floors)

Uncle drove it as a police car 100k miles. Did a tune up and transmission service before selling it to my dad. Was always regularly serviced and had all it's records (oil changes, tires, brake jobs). The place told my uncle at the time the transmission fluid was really bad/burnt and the transmission may not last much longer, my dad was given this information when he purchased it from my
    Uncle in 2003.

My dad drove the car easily 100k-220k miles. I did all maintenance from there on, pad slap brake jobs, spark plugs, plastic intake manifold, coolant temp sensor, alternator.

I bought it from him 2006 with 220k miles. I drove it on the bump stops loaded with camping gear from Houston to Nevada (burning man) across the Arizona desert 75-85mph ac full blast. I then welded the differential, straight piped the exhaust, did a burnout completion, 4 drift events. I ended up finding out with the straight pipe it was going in and out of torque converter lockup in od. I sold it in 2010 with 270,000 miles. Ac still ice cold and never charged, original rotors, 170k on the trans fluid.

If you notice the push bar has the upper pipe removed. When buying beer inlas vegas the car was completely full, even the dash had stuff, we ratchet strapped 2 cases of beer to the front push bar.

Name:  IMG_6790.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  84.3 KB
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-20-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know it's 100k miles and it's "high miles" but I've driven so many cars with over 200k that have never had these issues and feel more "solid". I'm not trying to bash the mirage just my opinion.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know it's 100k miles and it's "high miles" but I've driven so many cars with over 200k that have never had these issues and feel more "solid". I'm not trying to bash the mirage just my opinion.
    The reason you are not dealing with these issues on that 200k car is because the previous owner already dealt with them. At 100k. Or 150k.

By 200k, most cars have pretty much been rebuilt...piece by piece. The ones that havent been are on Craigslist for $500 or in the junkyard.

You are pretty hard on your car, and i am not sure your problems will be typical.