Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Traded after 2.5 years / 33k miles - regret buying this car

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Man my 2011 Corolla S is dreadful though. I put all season Pirellis on it and it still has wheel spin in the rain and ice/snow. You have to be REALLY gentle when at a stop cuz your traction controls goes out of whack. My Mirage with Snow Tires is so much better.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I honestly can almost relate with the OP. I don't completely regret buying my Mirage, but if I am not able to buy some decent shocks and struts for this thing soon, I am gonna have to give it up. They are completely blown out and the dealer says I can't buy them (not that I would want the factory crap anyway) and there is nothing in the aftermarket... sooooo just what exactly is a person supposed to do? I am sick and tired of riding around crashing off the bumpstops constantly.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    They are completely blown out and the dealer says I can't buy them (not that I would want the factory crap anyway)
    Your dealer is lying to you and they don't deserve your business. If they are too lazy to look this up then you can find it yourself.

An experienced mechanic can find alternatives. Call around for a shop you can trust. With wheels like yours, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. Maybe a new set of springs are in order too.

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Well this happened today

Attachment 7188
    Have you considered using the air bag suspension? The few that have tried it say it really helps. Mitz installed one. Read about it here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Sounds like you really have a crappy dealership there. I haven't had to use the dealer for any warranty work or service but they've been decent enough to deal with here. Oil changes are simple on mirages. I can't see insurance being higher than any other small car, and air filters and cabin air filters are available aftermarket though some places might not have them in stock I guess. I agree the stock dunlop tires do suck and don't last. Good luck with the Toyota, hope it works out better for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Sorry you had a bad experience. How many miles did it have at Trade in?

I could not help but notice You saying you should have spent the extra 2 grand for a Corolla at the time.

Does that mean you paid $15,000 for a Mirage? A car many were paying 10 grand for?

That would have an impact on my feelings toward the car, for sure. A Honda Fit is $500 more than that with 35 minutes of Dickering around. A clearly nicer car.

Trading in would hurt even more. Dealers are notorious for giving too little to make more profit. Always best to sell the car on the market, if you can.

I would assume that the 17 grand Corolla ended up being 11 grand with the Trade, at least getting 6k for the Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    Does that mean you paid $15,000 for a Mirage? A car many were paying 10 grand for?
    Adrew sold his car in December, 2016 after owning it for 2.5 years. That means it was a 2014 model, and was purchased in mid-2014. The rebates back then were nowhere near as good as they are now, and he didn't get a 'bad deal' on his. When I bought mine in December 2014, the rebate was only $750! I paid $14,083 for it.

His car is also a top-of-the-line ES model, not the base model. The $10k price for the base model 5-speed cars happened last March when Mitsubishi was blowing out the over-produced 2015 models to make way for the new 2017 models, which were introduced in the spring of '15. That price isn't the norm. Base cars are typically seen at around $11-12k right now with factory rebates and dealer discounts. You can haggle your way into one for less, but not too much less.

A dealer near me has a 5-speed SE hatch for about $13k, and that is about as cheap as I have seen one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Adrew sold his car in December, 2016 after owning it for 2.5 years. That means it was a 2014 model, and was purchased in mid-2014. The rebates back then were nowhere near as good as they are now, and he didn't get a 'bad deal' on his. When I bought mine in December 2014, the rebate was only $750! I paid $14,083 for it.

His car is also a top-of-the-line ES model, not the base model. The $10k price for the base model 5-speed cars happened last March when Mitsubishi was blowing out the over-produced 2015 models to make way for the new 2017 models, which were introduced in the spring of '15. That price isn't the norm. Base cars are typically seen at around $11-12k right now with factory rebates and dealer discounts. You can haggle your way into one for less, but not too much less.

A dealer near me has a 5-speed SE hatch for about $13k, and that is about as cheap as I have seen one.
    You said the 17s were released in during of 15??? Did you mean spring of 16?

I got our se hatchbacks for 10,500 each. 17s

I know these are not luxury cars and due to the price I'm okay with that. I can tell I will have to baby this car because the paint looks like it can scratch easy and the interior seems like it could also scratch easy. But I'm pretty careful so I'm betting mine will look better in a few years than my wife's haha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    You said the 17s were released in during of 15??? Did you mean spring of 16?

Sorry...yes, I did mean '16. Maybe they gave you a deal since you bought two? I assume you didn't trade in a car you had positive equity in?

The interior DOES scratch easily.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry...yes, I did mean '16. Maybe they gave you a deal since you bought two? I assume you didn't trade in a car you had positive equity in?

We actually traded in both of our older vehicles but I worked the price of the Mirage first. We got good trade values too, high end of excellent condition on KBB so I'm happy with that. Both trades nearly paid off 1 mirage immediately. We kicked in a very small amount so one is PIF.
    I was working 4 dealers at once over 2 weeks.

I'd guess if I sold PP I'd have got 1500 more between the two maybe. But for the hassle of listing them I just don't want to go down that road

I noticed that too, especially the drivers door panel. I have seen a lot of cars pretty scratched above the armrest. Looks like they have been clawing to get out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)