Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Traded after 2.5 years / 33k miles - regret buying this car

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You guys are talking about depreciation like it's a bad thing. Mitsubishi isn't in as much demand in the used market, but the warranty transfers. Take advantage of it and buy a depreciated mirage.

You can get the top spec mirage, 1-2 years old with around 30000 km for almost 7000 CAD off. The loaded ones depreciate much more than the base, so if you want some luxuries and are still on a budget, the used market is the way to go.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I know two people with Prius Cs also, and both like them for what they are. In fact, one of them was purchased just a few weeks ago as a leftover '16 model. It's a C4...top of the line...and he paid $21k for it. Not a bad deal..I think MSRP was about $26k. There are deals to be had on these cars if you look around. Still, I don't regret buying my Mirage for a second.

I drove a regular Prius a couple years ago, and I had the same problem with it as I did with the Corolla. It just felt huge and heavy. Of course, EVERYTHING felt huge and heavy compared to my '97 Metro!
    The ones I found were a package 2 with the cruise control and split folding rear seat and a silver one in the Package 3 (my most desired one) with added safety sense and moonroof. I liked that one because the wheels are alloy, but not the bigger 16 or 17" style of the 4. Still, 17k for the 2 and about 18500 for the 3 is not pocket change.

When I read people are driving 260k miles without a single issue... it gets my attention.

The around town fuel economy is supposed to be really high, and I hear similar figures on the highway over 50 MPG like the Mirage. A friend gets about 44 MPG combined.

The question is whether they are worth buying from 4-nearly 6k more than the SE Mirage? I am not totally sure? I DO plan on whatever I get being my car for at least 15+ years. Big trips. Hard Call! I like the Mirage too. But having a sunroof.. I love that.

If I had to drive an automatic, I'd get a Prius or similar planetary gear eCVT hybrid.

The lack of fun/engagement of driving a manual is somewhat offset by the fun of managing its 2 power sources for best efficiency.

I had a 2004 Prius for a year -- it was my winter beater 2 winters ago. It's not too hard to dramatically beat the city fuel economy rating with driving technique alone. (You could do the same with a Mirage, but you'd have to manually shut off the engine every time you released the gas pedal!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    If I had to drive an automatic, I'd get a Prius or similar planetary gear eCVT hybrid.

The lack of fun/engagement of driving a manual is somewhat offset by the fun of managing its 2 power sources for best efficiency.

I had a 2004 Prius for a year -- it was my winter beater 2 winters ago. It's not too hard to dramatically beat the city fuel economy rating with driving technique alone. (You could do the same with a Mirage, but you'd have to manually shut off the engine every time you released the gas pedal!)
    You don't actually have to shut off the engine to save fuel. Just releasing the gas pedal wil disable fuel supply to the engine. All fuel injected engines work that way.
    It only needs a bit of fuel to idle once your stopped (or engage the clutch if you have a manual) but if you have auto start/stop that takes care of it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    (You could do the same with a Mirage, but you'd have to manually shut off the engine every time you released the gas pedal!)
    Not me lololol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow1981 View Post
    Just releasing the gas pedal wil disable fuel supply to the engine.
    Absolutely true!

But shutting off the engine to coast (transmission disengaged) is what saves the most amount of fuel, because the car coasts significantly farther without the drag caused by spinning the engine (engine braking).

Similarly, when you release the accelerator in a Toyota hybrid, the engine stops and you can modulate the throttle so there is no regenerative drag to maximize coasting distance.

Both are well-known techniques for maximizing fuel economy.

Of course if your goal is to slow down some while saving fuel, then simply releasing the throttle to decelerate is a good strategy (especially if you do it early enough that you avoid having to use the brake pedal). Of course, fuel injection resumes when the engine speed drops to about 1400 RPM. In the hybrid, the engine stays off all the way down to a full stop.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Absolutely true!

But shutting off the engine to coast (transmission disengaged) is what saves the most amount of fuel, because the car coasts significantly farther without the drag caused by spinning the engine (engine braking).
    Gotta be careful doing this in a Mirage. Shutting off the ignition disables the electric power steering and the vacuum boost for the power brakes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Gotta be careful doing this in a Mirage. Shutting off the ignition disables the electric power steering and the vacuum boost for the power brakes.
    This is the main reason why I don't engine off coast. The Mirage does a fine job beating EPA fuel economy numbers without having to shut off the engine.

It's true that engine off coasting will return even better fuel economy. I don't think it's necessary. Besides, wouldn't there be liability problems in case of an accident? Remember, the Mirage has a Event Data Recorder.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    The ones I found were a package 2 with the cruise control and split folding rear seat and a silver one in the Package 3 (my most desired one) with added safety sense and moonroof. I liked that one because the wheels are alloy, but not the bigger 16 or 17" style of the 4. Still, 17k for the 2 and about 18500 for the 3 is not pocket change.

When I read people are driving 260k miles without a single issue... it gets my attention.

The around town fuel economy is supposed to be really high, and I hear similar figures on the highway over 50 MPG like the Mirage. A friend gets about 44 MPG combined.

The question is whether they are worth buying from 4-nearly 6k more than the SE Mirage? I am not totally sure? I DO plan on whatever I get being my car for at least 15+ years. Big trips. Hard Call! I like the Mirage too. But having a sunroof.. I love that.
    I think it is worth the extra $ for a Toyota, you get so much more for the money. You get not just the quality of the vehicle and components/equipment but you also get a much better resale value!
    Sadly the Mirage value drops very very quickly. Mitsubishi does win in the length of warranty department though, if the dealer is willing to honor it...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    I think it is worth the extra $ for a Toyota, you get so much more for the money. You get not just the quality of the vehicle and components/equipment but you also get a much better resale value!
    Sadly the Mirage value drops very very quickly. Mitsubishi does win in the length of warranty department though, if the dealer is willing to honor it...
    This is subjective promotion.

Regarding receiving 'more for the money' I don't want a heavier vehicle that will burn more petroleum and cost more to operate.

Regarding resale value, I bought my Mirage with the intent of driving it as long as I can. Selling any vehicle after a relatively short period of time will certainly lock in depreciation losses compared to driving it and making it last. With any vehicle purchase, depreciation is a factor but not as big a factor with the Mirage.

Regarding vehicle & component quality, I've seen some pretty cheap materials on Toyotas. So far, the Mirage has been a very reliable car for many forum members here. I don't recall any reports of someone getting stranded due to reliability. And don't forget Toyota's unintended acceleration problems of the recent past. Toyota's reliability reputation isn't as golden as some would make it out to be.

I don't understand - if you want a Mirage, why promote Toyotas?