Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Traded after 2.5 years / 33k miles - regret buying this car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    I think it is worth the extra $ for a Toyota, you get so much more for the money. You get not just the quality of the vehicle and components/equipment but you also get a much better resale value!
    Sadly the Mirage value drops very very quickly. Mitsubishi does win in the length of warranty department though, if the dealer is willing to honor it...
    I get that you purchased a Scion iA and I understand your reasons why. If it was available at steep discounts at the time I purchased my Mirage, I may have bought an iA as well. The point of my post is that I DID purchase a Mirage and currently still OWN it. I do not go onto iA forums to bash it so I am not really sure why you are on this forum since you can not really add anything to the discussions on it other than you think that the iA is a better car. It may be a better car in a lot of areas but that is not the point of this forum. People come here with questions about their Mirages, to help others that have questions about their Mirages or they may be here for camaraderie and so on. Since you have considered a Mirage but ultimately purchased an iA I am not sure whats the point of commenting on a Mirage forum over and over to only bash the car and to say how great your iA is after an initial comparison or something to that effect. I am sure your comments will be better served on an iA forum.

Last edited by Gnarles2; 04-26-2017 at 07:03 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gnarles2 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-27-2017),MetroMPG (04-26-2017),Pryme (04-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Shutting off the ignition disables the electric power steering and the vacuum boost for the power brakes.
    You're right about steering, if you stop the engine via the key. (There are workarounds to keep EPS active if unassisted steering is a concern and you want to use engine-off regularly.) Vacuum reserve is good for several assited brake applications after the engine stops.

Just an aside (and my last off-topic comment on this!): As a part-time job during university, I used to teach defensive driving for a nation-wide company. Part of the curriculum for new drivers included how to handle unexpected engine problems by shutting off the ignition while underway, to expose students to the increased level of steering effort, plus emphasize/demonstrate that they only had a couple of assisted braking applications in the bank.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles2 View Post
    I get that you purchased a Scion iA and I understand your reasons why. If it was available at steep discounts at the time I purchased my Mirage, I may have bought an iA as well. The point of my post is that I DID purchase a Mirage and currently still own it. I do not go onto iA forums to bash it so I am not really sure why you are on this forum since you can not really add anything to the discussions on it other than you think that the iA is a better car. It may be a better car in a lot of areas but that is not the point of this forum. People come here with questions about their Mirages or they come to help others that have questions about their Mirages or they may be here for camaraderie and so on. Since you have considered a Mirage but ultimately purchased an iA I am not sure whats the point of commenting on a Mirage forum over and over to only bash the car and to say how great your iA is after an initial comparison or something to that effect. I am sure your comments will be better served on an iA forum.
    I agree.
    (blank signature)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (04-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is subjective promotion.

Regarding receiving 'more for the money' I don't want a heavier vehicle that will burn more petroleum and cost more to operate.

Regarding resale value, I bought my Mirage with the intent of driving it as long as I can. Selling any vehicle after a relatively short period of time will certainly lock in depreciation losses compared to driving it and making it last. With any vehicle purchase, depreciation is a factor but not as big a factor with the Mirage.

Regarding vehicle & component quality, I've seen some pretty cheap materials on Toyotas. So far, the Mirage has been a very reliable car for many forum members here. I don't recall any reports of someone getting stranded due to reliability. And don't forget Toyota's unintended acceleration problems of the recent past. Toyota's reliability reputation isn't as golden as some would make it out to be.

I don't understand - if you want a Mirage, why promote Toyotas?

I tend to agree w/ you. I think as car interested people, we just need to mull over the pros and the cons. I love many things and dislike a few about all the cars I have considered. Pros and Cons to all the cars.

I too found much of the materials not all that impressive in the Toyota C I looked at. The Mirage had moderately cheaoer plastic inside. Some of the things I Dug about the Prius C:

Outside Temperature Gauge.
    Better City MPG
    Some fun color accents to brighten the interior
    A better roofline in the back (moderate, but better all the same) for my head room. I am 5'8 and my hair "touches" the roof on Mirage
    The key hole on the door was not covered with a button for the Smart Key access. This is helpful if it Fails.
    Proven Toyota Reliability (The Mirage we all Love, it just has not been on the market to see many 250k examples around.. lots of C's)
    Toyota Resale (I too, plan to keep my car til this matters less.. I keep cars 18+ years)
    Telescoping Steering Wheel.
    Map Lights
    Slightly nicer seat material
    Trunk seemed a little Roomier (go to look up the #'s)
    Comes as a CVT (if that is desirable)
    Little bit quieter. Just a mute electric sound on occasion from my experience. Might be less the case on the freeway?
    Minor, but nicer headliner.

Cons:
    It costs 17k to 18500 OTD depending on the Trim Level of the 2016 left overs. That is $4500-7000 more than the Mirage SE 5 speed
    No Back Up Camera on the 2 and 3 package I can manage to afford, standard on the Mirage SE
    Comes only as CVT (I DO enjoy Stick)
    Hybrid Battery replacement. Less an issue these days due to $500 low mileage ones out there, but still.. even 300k from now, a cost
    I felt sort of "sunken in" the seat. I think the Mirage was slightly more comfy?
    Looks? Subjective. I have a slight more interest in the way the Mirage looks. Especially the rear end.
    More Common. Everyone seems to have one!
    No Foglamps on the 2 and 3. Mirage SE comes standard.
    Moderately less rear vision.. I think?

It is a Toss up. For me, Still.
    Last edited by djkenny; 04-26-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Renn Kirby has amazing prices. I paid $12,714.00 for my 2017 Mirage G4 SE that had a sti ker of $18,115.00 and and I got this price and someone who is Military could get even more. Name:  IMG_6009.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  87.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    So here's an SE at that same dealer...

Attachment 8877

Let's assume you are not military and you don't currently own a Mitsubishi. That means you won't qualify for $750 worth of rebates listed. The "real" cost of this car with dealer "doc" fees (which aren't listed) will be almost $14,000.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirage ES Navi For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-27-2017)

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My G4 SE I have had for over 2 month

Name:  IMG_8613.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  98.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage ES Navi View Post
    Renn Kirby has amazing prices. I paid $12,714.00 for my 2017 Mirage G4 SE that had a sti ker of $18,115.00 and and I got this price and someone who is Military could get even more. Name:  IMG_6009.jpg

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    I tend to agree w/ you. I think as car interested people, we just need to mull over the pros and the cons. I love many things and dislike a few about all the cars I have considered. Pros and Cons to all the cars.

I too found much of the materials not all that impressive in the Toyota C I looked at. The Mirage had moderately cheaoer plastic inside. Some of the things I Dug about the Prius C:

Outside Temperature Gauge.
    Better City MPG
    Some fun color accents to brighten the interior
    A better roofline in the back (moderate, but better all the same) for my head room. I am 5'8 and my hair "touches" the roof on Mirage
    The key hole on the door was not covered with a button for the Smart Key access. This is helpful if it Fails.
    Proven Toyota Reliability (The Mirage we all Love, it just has not been on the market to see many 250k examples around.. lots of C's)
    Toyota Resale (I too, plan to keep my car til this matters less.. I keep cars 18+ years)
    Telescoping Steering Wheel.
    Slightly nicer seat material
    Trunk seemed a little Roomier (go to look up the #'s)
    Comes as a CVT (if that is desirable)
    Little bit quieter. Just a mute electric sound on occasion from my experience. Might be less the case on the freeway?
    Minor, but nicer headliner.

Cons:
    It costs 17k to 18500 OTD depending on the Trim Level of the 2016 left overs. That is $4500-7000 more than the Mirage SE 5 speed
    No Back Up Camera on the 2 and 3 package I can manage to afford, standard on the Mirage SE
    Comes only as CVT (I DO enjoy Stick)
    Hybrid Battery replacement. Less an issue these days due to $500 low mileage ones out there, but still.. even 300k from now, a cost
    I felt sort of "sunken in" the seat. I think the Mirage was slightly more comfy?
    Looks? Subjective. I have a slight more interest in the way the Mirage looks. Especially the rear end.
    More Common. Everyone seems to have one!
    No Foglamps on the 2 and 3. Mirage SE comes standard.
    Moderately less rear vision.. I think?

It is a Toss up. For me, Still.
    Mirage has an outside temp gauge too.
    It has the handy button on driver door and hatch but a key hole on pass. Side.
    Your head touches the ceiling in a mirage at 5'8"?
    That's odd. In 6'1" and have about 4" over my head to the ceiling.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Mirage has an outside temp gauge too.
    It has the handy button on driver door and hatch but a key hole on pass. Side.
    Your head touches the ceiling in a mirage at 5'8"?
    That's odd. In 6'1" and have about 4" over my head to the ceiling.
    Oh? I thought there was no outside temp gauge in that trip computer? Cool.
    Yeah, I have a slight Pomp. I sit right against that inclined roof. I cannot explain it. But it did Bug Me. Not that I would spend time back there. In the Prius I was SUPER close, but not tapping lightly with my hair to the point of annoyance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage ES Navi View Post
    14 grand for one seems really bad. Not to dis the Mirage (I am not) but I would chose something thousand or $1500 more that is a considerably nicer Drive. I think it is a WONDERFUL value for what you paid! Mitsubishi really needs to adjust their Pricing.

I did finally nailed down one in the hatch configuration (so no auto dimming mirror, smaller screen on the dash) for $12,150 OTD. That is also with a 5 speed, so I still think you got the better deal. But I need to drive a good 3 hrs to get it. Do not really want to do that so much. Keep working with local dealers to at least "match" that Deal. If it takes a year.. it takes a year. Hopefully I can get it under 12k.. that was my initial goal. I think that is fine for a SE hatch with 5 speed and a armrest.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    ...But I need to drive a good 3 hrs to get it. Do not really want to do that so much.
    I drove 7 hours each way just to buy a Mirage that didn't have license plate holes drilled in the front bumper...but I'm not right in the head.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)