Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Traded after 2.5 years / 33k miles - regret buying this car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    My ex-girlfriend's Mirage was rear-ended last summer, and while it was in the body shop she was given a 2015 Corolla S as a rental car. We both HATED it. It felt cramped inside, seemed heavy, ungainly, and large, had a poor turning radius, and didn't really accelerate any better than the Mirage. Sure it has 138 horsepower, but it also weighs 3000 pounds. Believe me, it doesn't feel as fast as the raw numbers would suggest it should. The Corolla isn't meant to be fast...and it isn't. It goes 0-60 in a hair under ten seconds (the CVT Mirage with half the horsepower takes 11.7).

She couldn't wait to get her Mirage back and be rid of the thing... Be sure to drive both and see which one you actually like better.

PS: I know it's a matter of taste, but am I the only one that thinks the front end on the '17 Corolla is hideously UGLY?? Looks like it has a damned snow plow on the front. And what's with the huge fake brake cooling ducts?

Imo my SE mirage looks MUCH better than the corolla and corolla IM. I don't know why Toyota Lexus keeps putting out ugly front ends. Especially those Lexus models with the big voids in front.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    PS: I know it's a matter of taste, but am I the only one that thinks the front end on the '17 Corolla is hideously UGLY?? Looks like it has a damned snow plow on the front. And what's with the huge fake brake cooling ducts?
    All good points. I don't care for the fishmouthed front end look. The current crop of Hondas and Toyotas are too stylized. It's like they are trying too hard to look tough or look like something they are not.

I also don't understand why someone would spend so much time to promote a Toyota on a Mirage forum.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-24-2017 at 04:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-20-2017),Pryme (04-24-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    All good points. I don't care for the fishmouthed front end look. The current crop of Hondas and Toyotas are too stylized. It's like they are trying too hard to look tough or look like something they are not.

I also don't understand why someone would spend so much time to promote a Toyota on a Mirage forum.
    No Promotion on my end. I vastly prefer the hatch back styling and front end of the Mirage, even the prior controversial front end Mirage is way better looking than the Corolla.

I am basing my decisions on best option for the $.

I actually had a rental Corolla LE about 2 years ago. My wife and I liked it as well as the Elantra of the same year, but found it easier to see out of. I liked the dash a lot. I liked it better than the current Jetta, boy has VW just cheapened the heck out of their cars these days.

They offered a SE model Corolla for 16 grand. That is a really nice car, and just a little more than the middle of the road LE at $14,800. Also has the option of a 6 speed at no additional cost. Man...

Depreciation is a valid point. If you're planning to trade in at some point vs. keeping it 10 plus years, it should be considered.

Yet despite that, the Mirage's efficiency cancels that out and makes it more than competitive in total cost of ownership. (See the awards thread.)

People have different priorities.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Exactly. I have often wondered the same thing. Hmm.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Exactly. I have often wondered the same thing. Hmm.

I am still trying to buy a new Mirage SE. Just no luck getting a deal that makes sense, considering the offers coming at me as well.

Just yesterday I took a Brand New left over Prius C out from 2016 at a Dealer. $16,900 OTD for a car I couldn't normally hope to consider at 21k. I was tempted. But I am holding out for an $11,500 Mirage SE.

All of this discussion is due to the plan being a car I keep for over 20 years. Likely. I want the best option for the long term.

A Corolla brand new for $14,800, regardless of styling, when you will have 2 baby seats in back.. it's a reasonable option to consider as well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    A Corolla brand new for $14,800, regardless of styling, when you will have 2 baby seats in back.. it's a reasonable option to consider as well.
    Absolutely. I don't think anyone would call a good deal on a new Corolla a bad choice. I have owned several Corollas, and I just didn't really enjoy my experience with the latest iteration of that car. As I said, it felt cramped, bloated, and heavy. But everyone knows they are good cars. I know two people who own late-model Corollas and they like them very much.

I guess my only point is that the Corolla and Civic aren't quite the 'no-brainer' options to me anymore than they might have been, say, ten years ago. My mom has an '06 Corolla and I think it's a great car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Absolutely. I don't think anyone would call a good deal on a new Corolla a bad choice. I have owned several Corollas, and I just didn't really enjoy my experience with the latest iteration of that car. As I said, it felt cramped, bloated, and heavy. But everyone knows they are good cars. I know two people who own late-model Corollas and they like them very much.

I guess my only point is that the Corolla and Civic aren't quite the 'no-brainer' options to me anymore than they might have been, say, ten years ago. My mom has an '06 Corolla and I think it's a great car.
    I need to test one again. I might get around to it. I think the Prius C is a little more my Jam than Corolla. MPG is Paramount, granted the crash test scores are some of the best for the Corolla, while the Prius C is equal to the Mirage with 4s on the NCAP. They seem to get over 40 MPG with Corolla, so not bad. The fact the 5 speed is offered on the SE trim is kind of cool. Not that it is a sporty car, but I could hyper mile easier that way.. similar to the Mirage in that respect. Also, not a sporty car.

I tend to like lighter smaller cars. The back seat seems pretty awesome for two backward and forward facing seats in the back, and the cars seem to last a long time... I will at least try one out. Been a couple years. I dug the one we rented oddly enough. It was a CVT, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    I need to test one again. I might get around to it. I think the Prius C is a little more my Jam than Corolla. MPG is Paramount, granted the crash test scores are some of the best for the Corolla, while the Prius C is equal to the Mirage with 4s on the NCAP. They seem to get over 40 MPG with Corolla, so not bad. The fact the 5 speed is offered on the SE trim is kind of cool. Not that it is a sporty car, but I could hyper mile easier that way.. similar to the Mirage in that respect. Also, not a sporty car.

I tend to like lighter smaller cars. The back seat seems pretty awesome for two backward and forward facing seats in the back, and the cars seem to last a long time... I will at least try one out. Been a couple years. I dug the one we rented oddly enough. It was a CVT, too.
    I know two people with Prius Cs also, and both like them for what they are. In fact, one of them was purchased just a few weeks ago as a leftover '16 model. It's a C4...top of the line...and he paid $21k for it. Not a bad deal..I think MSRP was about $26k. There are deals to be had on these cars if you look around. Still, I don't regret buying my Mirage for a second.

I drove a regular Prius a couple years ago, and I had the same problem with it as I did with the Corolla. It just felt huge and heavy. Of course, EVERYTHING felt huge and heavy compared to my '97 Metro!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I picked up a 2013 Corolla LE with 96k miles a couple months ago off CL, for a very good deal. Car ran like new, and after I had it detailed, it looked like new. I thought about keeping it, but after driving it, decided to flip it. I found it hard to get in, and especially hard to get back out of. My knees aren't quite what they used to be, and I prefer the Mirage's more upright seating position. I only paid $5,000 for it, and on paper, it would have been a no brainer to keep and drive for a long while. In reality, it wouldn't have worked out for me at all. Made a nice profit on it tho.