Thread: Lousy dealership - rant against them

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Lousy dealership - rant against them

I deal with Mountain Mitsu in Hamilton, Ontario.

I need to have my 16k service done, oil change, air filter, visual check of items. I logged into the MyMitsu program and selected service request. I chose the 16k service, cost of $140, and selected the first service date which should have been today. (It was Monday I scheduled this.)

Turns out I got an email yesterday from the service manager who told me he cant' do this service until next Friday, June 15. What a friggen joke. I had to re-arrange my life for an apptmt. today only to be told it can't be done.

To add insult to injury I went back into the MyMitsu site and scheduled the same service, AGAIN, for this coming Monday, June 11 and there was NO INDICATION IT COULD NOT BE DONE.

I' going on vacation tomorrow and will likely have 8000 kms extra on my car for a total of 24000 when I return. I'll be wayyyy past the 16k service.

I'm going to a fast lube place tomorrow for an oil change before I go on holiday. That means I swear off the Hamilton Mitsu dealer for life. Idiots.

tl;dr

Mountain Mitsu in Hamilton are idiots who require nearly 2 weeks to get a car in for an oil change.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wally,

You could buy all the parts to change the oil yourself for for under $50 and then you would have them for the rest of your life. I did it with the help of step by step tutorials on this same forum and I am not "handy" at all. I felt proud of myself after finishing and wish I had been doing my own maintenance ALL ALONG for the past 20 years. These quick lube places dont even let all the old oil drain out because they are in such a hurry to move the cars along the assembly line. When doing it yourself at home you can give it the full 30 minutes to let it all drip out.

$140 is a rip-off. You can do the full job at home in less than 1 hour
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-08-2018)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So a Mitsubishi dealer is actually getting customers to schedule appointments and then not wanting to satisfy the agreements? Sounds like they have a low amount of staff or inexperienced staff that I wouldn't want touching my car.

My dealer was supposed to just fix the airbag recall issue but it took longer cuz they decided to do a car inspection. Pretty sure I knew my car was okay.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Okay, so Mountain Mitsubishi has some problems with their online service scheduling. If it didn't work the first time, why go back and do the same thing again and expect different results? Why not just schedule when you had the manager on the phone?

There's a saying that's come back to haunt me: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I say give them another try. At least give their technicians a chance to prove themselves. One day you might really need them to work on your Mirage for some big-ticket repair. If they botch the small service items like an oil change, you'll definitely know not to go back for something major.

On the other hand, fc321 has a point - $140 sounds expensive. What are you getting for that price? If it's just an oil change, you can do that yourself for less (not knowing Canadian pricing.)

Just for perspective, my dealership - where I bought my Speck new - included the first oil change free of charge. During that free first oil change service I mentioned my steering wheel was not straight during driving. They checked the alignment, found the rear axle was out of specification and adjusted the front. A new rear axle was ordered. During installation of the new rear axle I was provided a loaner Outlander. Everything was covered either by warranty or by the dealer (such as the loaner vehicle.)

I understand things didn't go the way you wanted, and that stinks. Give them another chance and stop using their online scheduling - instead talk to a real live person.

Best wishes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Lol...I had the same problem with my local Mitsubishi/Chrysler/Jeep dealership. When I would call and schedule an appointment for an oil change they would tell me they needed the car for an ENTIRE DAY.

Needless to say the only two oil changes I scheduled there were the two the dealership and Mitsubishi gave me for FREE.

IMHO, they should have one or two guys there just doing oil changes. I don't need an ASE Certified Master Technician to drain three quarts of oil out of my car.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Okay, so Mountain Mitsubishi has some problems with their online service scheduling. If it didn't work the first time, why go back and do the same thing again and expect different results? Why not just schedule when you had the manager on the phone?

There's a saying that's come back to haunt me: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I say give them another try. At least give their technicians a chance to prove themselves. One day you might really need them to work on your Mirage for some big-ticket repair. If they botch the small service items like an oil change, you'll definitely know not to go back for something major.

On the other hand, fc321 has a point - $140 sounds expensive. What are you getting for that price? If it's just an oil change, you can do that yourself for less (not knowing Canadian pricing.)

Best wishes.
    You know, if they would answer their phone instead of telling you to leave a message and they would call you back your suggestion might have some merit. If/when they call back may not be a convenient time to talk to them. I might have more important things that I am doing.

The reason why I chose the online booking is precisely because I can control when in my day I use my time to deal with my car. THEY put the system in place so a customer could choose when it was convenient in their busy schedule to have their car serviced. There is absolutely zero chance of mis communication like in vocal exchanges. I did it a second time to see if they had done ANYTHING to fix the system, suspend it, add a message that you're unlikely to get the time slot you've chosen, SOMETHING, but no, they are allowing a broken system to continue on.

Your suggestion to give them another shot is exactly why Mitsu (and thousands upon thousands of other businesses) are foundering not reaching their potential. There are FAR too many marginal firms out there who can't get the little things right but you're supposed to trust them with potentially thousands of your hard earned dollars when things go majorly wrong? I don't think so.

Would you let a Dr. that was always getting the wrong diagnosis perform any type of extensive surgery?

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I opted to put what you get for $140 in a separate post so as to let my other points not get diluted.

They are going to change the oil, using synthetic, change the air filter, perform a multiple point inspection as per the service maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. The actual charge is about $125 then taxes of 13% get added. It's not bad as getting a synthetic oil change in town can easily cost $60+ . So I'm getting an air filter and supposedly Mitsu trained techs checking my car for the extra $60. That doesn't seem all that bad to me.

But, if it takes nearly 2 WEEKS to schedule this simple service and they can't do the service when it's convenient for ME why should they get my hard earned dollars?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-08-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wallythacker I recommend going to Costco if you have a membership as there tire and lube service only uses full synthetic oil and they will not upsell you on anything you don't need also it only costs like ~60$ cad with tax.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Like my local dealership! Service manager owns a Mirage and is on this forum :-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to emdeplam For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-09-2018)