Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Traded after 2.5 years / 33k miles - regret buying this car

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Spending every dime you have on a car is not a good move, take all the time you need so you don't make that choice.
    I agree. I am also debating about turning a outside detached garage into a airbnb detached room with bath and kitchenette, I think I am likely around 10k max awy from affording to get that done Well. It is part of why i might wait til it is done then save for a Mirage. Maybe 2 year old Mirage... 2 years from now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    I hope Mitsubishi never leaves N.America...Id like to own another Evo one day.
    If you read my posts you would know that I have sung the praises of the Mirage before...but I am also not blind to the issues (the very title of this particular thread for instance) and the problems the car has had. I buy cars frequently so I will continue to come and read posts and discuss it here. You dont have to approve.
    You should not be upset with different points of view. All cars have merit. However this Mirage isnt up to the level of quality of past Mitsubishis in my opinion.
    Ive been on this site since 2014 discussing the Mirage's pros and cons.
    Tee hee.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I get the impression that you are focusing on your perceived shortcomings in this design and draw the conclusion that it is somehow not worthy. It leaves the impression you are over-dramatizing your position and want to make sure we here on the Mirage forum are thoroughly aware of where you stand.

I get it already.

An interesting phenomenon to any purchase is buyer's bias (or choice-supportive bias according to Wikipedia - read all about it.) Your support for your decision to buy an iA will apparently continue to clash with our decision to not buy an iA and instead buy a Mirage. For some reason, you can't seem to get past why anyone would buy a Mirage. Ironic, isn't it? After all that, I still like my Mirage and I don't need the external validation for my decision. That is to say, good thing I didn't listen to Consumer Reports. Maybe you yourself need the validation. Who knows?

Really - I'm glad you found a car you are happy with. You are certainly allowed your opinion, and you have expressed it to your audience. We're just not buying what you are selling.

So, how to go about discussing the pros & cons of the Mirage? What framework should we follow?

It is a Mirage Forum, after all. The focus here is on the current production of the Mitsubishi Mirage. Not the expired Scion brand and their line of cars.

Give specific examples to support a position for or against, rather than just stating blankity-blank stinks - because I said so. That way, a respectful discussion can come about on the facts rather than opinions that often devolve into petty name-calling and attacks.

No, I don't like your posts here decrying the Mirage. I like mine and I am biased accordingly. If you can point out specific examples of what you believe are it's shortcomings, I'll point out what I think is great about the car. Just be sure to provide and stick to supporting facts and we have the makings of a great thread.

But in the end, it's just a car. No big deal (to me, anyway.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Pryme (04-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am also glad ivdidnt base my decision on reviews alone. Because I like to see for myself. And I know a lot of those magazine and websites get paid for their reviews either directly or indirectly through other ways. Nah, I'll see for myself. And I did.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Tee hee.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I get the impression that you are focusing on your perceived shortcomings in this design and draw the conclusion that it is somehow not worthy. It leaves the impression you are over-dramatizing your position and want to make sure we here on the Mirage forum are thoroughly aware of where you stand.

I get it already.

An interesting phenomenon to any purchase is buyer's bias (or choice-supportive bias according to Wikipedia - read all about it.) Your support for your decision to buy an iA will apparently continue to clash with our decision to not buy an iA and instead buy a Mirage. For some reason, you can't seem to get past why anyone would buy a Mirage. Ironic, isn't it? After all that, I still like my Mirage and I don't need the external validation for my decision. That is to say, good thing I didn't listen to Consumer Reports. Maybe you yourself need the validation. Who knows?

Really - I'm glad you found a car you are happy with. You are certainly allowed your opinion, and you have expressed it to your audience. We're just not buying what you are selling.

So, how to go about discussing the pros & cons of the Mirage? What framework should we follow?

It is a Mirage Forum, after all. The focus here is on the current production of the Mitsubishi Mirage. Not the expired Scion brand and their line of cars.

Give specific examples to support a position for or against, rather than just stating blankity-blank stinks - because I said so. That way, a respectful discussion can come about on the facts rather than opinions that often devolve into petty name-calling and attacks.

No, I don't like your posts here decrying the Mirage. I like mine and I am biased accordingly. If you can point out specific examples of what you believe are it's shortcomings, I'll point out what I think is great about the car. Just be sure to provide and stick to supporting facts and we have the makings of a great thread.

But in the end, it's just a car. No big deal (to me, anyway.)
    So many factors influenced my decision: price (many better choices for the same or similar money), lack of availiblility of a manual in the GT and sedan SE trims, 4 test drives of Mirages, reading dozens of reviews of owners on here and other places. My experience (having owned a Galant, EVO and Lanncer GT) also gives me a frame of reference that you may not have, I have seen the high quality of past mitsu models.....To me the curent Mirage is not of the same quality as past Mitsubishi...perhaps this is because of the point of origin not being Japan. I have written many many posts talking about both the good points and bad points...you havent been here as long as me, I see you join date as late 2015, less than 2 years ago. You should really read my other posts if you are that curious about my thoughts...I have nothing to prove to you. I am glad you like your car, it has many merits...and again if you read my many posts over the last 3 years you might not get so upset with me. I do like the Mirage quite a bit and have referred people to go test drive it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman, I reconsidered and decided to list some of the great things that I liked about the Mirage: Great gas mpg, inexpensive operating costs, android auto availability, small minimalist car, under dog status, excellent color choices, fantastic and easy to use HVAC system controls, long warranty, comfortable seats, light clutch, comfy ride, it's a Mitsubishi!
    I was also hoping they would do a sporty version of the car, like a 1.6 liter motor or a small turbo option....maybe in the future.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IwantaMirage For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So many factors influenced my decision: price (many better choices for the same or similar money)
    OK cool - now we have something to run with. Without doing a lot of research, the Mirage had and still has a fine set of features for it's price. Research, patience, rebates and negotiation bring the price down - way down. There's lots of testimony to that here on this forum. I'm no salesman or retail expert but I understand that buyers respond to the discount, and I think retailers (auto dealers) use this to their advantage - like it or not.

lack of availiblility of a manual in the GT and sedan SE trims
    Gotta agree with you here, but this isn't a big deal to me and I would have to think that it's not a big deal to everyone who might consider a Mirage. After all, it is a subcompact economy car. I would guess that most buyers shopping in this segment are looking to spend as little money possible, and features and amenities won't always be needed to make the sale. Sometimes a buyer just wants a new car with the benefit of a warranty so they don't have to worry about being stranded by an old clunker.

4 test drives of Mirages, reading dozens of reviews of owners on here and other places.
    Again, for every negative review *here* on this forum there are several posts of praise. I understand this is the bias of ownership, but really, what else are we to go on? I personally would put more emphasis on an owner's review than that of a professional reviewer who drives it for a few hours around town, looking forward to getting back into another luxury brand soon.

You'll have to admit there are more than a few fans of the Mirage here who share their praise of the car, right? I mean, it's not all doom & gloom...

My experience (having owned a Galant, EVO and Lanncer GT) also gives me a frame of reference that you may not have, I have seen the high quality of past mitsu models.....To me the curent Mirage is not of the same quality as past Mitsubishi...perhaps this is because of the point of origin not being Japan.
    This is apples to oranges! You can't honestly & realistically compare any car manufacturer's entry-level product to their mid-level. Come on, now. One of my first cars was a 1976 Dodge Colt station wagon - complete with wood-grain side paneling! This explains my frame of reference as it describes yours. From where my Mitsubishi experience begins, this Mirage is a luxury. That Colt had ZERO cupholders. Ha!

Again, without the benefit of time spent providing links or research, forgive me for being lazy here. It is my understanding that way back when Mitsubishi was in partnership with Chrysler, there was a time when they were all working with Daimler. It is my understanding that Mitsubishi somehow lost a lot of engineering talent during that time frame. When the DaimlerChrysler deal fell apart, it left Mitsubishi without that in-house development ability. If I can find a refernce to this, I'll get it posted for you. If you are interested, perhaps you (or anyone else) could help with this.

In one sense, the Mirage represents the rebirth of the Mitsubishi brand. For me, there is a lot of newness to be found in this little car - for Mitsubishi, perhaps it represents a more hopeful future.

I have written many many posts talking about both the good points and bad points...you havent been here as long as me, I see you join date as late 2015, less than 2 years ago. You should really read my other posts if you are that curious about my thoughts...I have nothing to prove to you. I am glad you like your car, it has many merits...and again if you read my many posts over the last 3 years you might not get so upset with me. I do like the Mirage quite a bit and have referred people to go test drive it.
    Cool. You got me there - I have not gone back in time and read your earlier posts. That being said, if your current posts are anything to go by, I'll stand by my claim that you have your mind made up against the Mirage.

You have your bias & I have mine. It's all good.

Now - what next? We can talk about handling - I think the iA Mazda design would win this handily.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman, I reconsidered and decided to list some of the great things that I liked about the Mirage: Great gas mpg, inexpensive operating costs, android auto availability, small minimalist car, under dog status, excellent color choices, fantastic and easy to use HVAC system controls, long warranty, comfortable seats, light clutch, comfy ride, it's a Mitsubishi!
    I was also hoping they would do a sporty version of the car, like a 1.6 liter motor or a small turbo option....maybe in the future.
    Well said! Lots of good features in such a cheap little car.

With Thailand's rules for eco cars in this factory it's hard to imagine Mitsubishi will ever produce a sporty version of this car. Aside from the aftermarket & enthusiast community, I doubt it will ever happen. It is what it is, and it suits me fine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

IwantaMirage (04-30-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can't come close to comparing this inexpensive car with other cars made by Mitsubishi twice as much.

It's not made in Japan that is true. Where is the IA made. Is it Japan?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I can find a reference to this, I'll get it posted for you.
    Found it. I first posted about this in the thread on fuel economy cheating scandal last year.

An interesting story from Automotive News. This article, from early 2014 when Tetsuro Aikawa was installed as CEO, summarizes Mitsubishi's struggles and winding path.

Mitsubishi, in naming Aikawa as next president, declares its independence

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive News | ANALYSIS | February 9, 2014 @ 12:01 am | Hans Greimel
    Mitsubishi had its r&d ranks hollowed out after the breakup with DaimlerChrysler, Aikawa said. That, combined with the defects scandal, led more than 10 percent of the company's engineers to leave within the span of half a year, hobbling future product plans, he said.

Of his 36 years at Mitsubishi, Aikawa said, "That was the toughest period."

He also wants a rebirth in design, an area where Mitsubishi has languished of late. Said Aikawa: "Through technology and design, I want to reconstruct the Mitsubishi brand."

His selection to lead Mitsubishi may represent the first step of that reconstruction.
    More reading at Wikipedia: DaimlerChrysler–Mitsubishi alliance

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well said! Lots of good features in such a cheap little car.

With Thailand's rules for eco cars in this factory it's hard to imagine Mitsubishi will ever produce a sporty version of this car. Aside from the aftermarket & enthusiast community, I doubt it will ever happen. It is what it is, and it suits me fine.
    I can hope!....If they did do a 1.6 liter or a small turbo I would be thrilled! Im a small car fan. Of course I could get it modified myself and have a great sleeper car too.