Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In car wired Block Heater?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I would think the Kats heater is nothing more than a nichrome resistance wire in a tube. If so, AC or DC is irrelevant. It will heat regardless of the power source.

Just have to figure out if enough current will flow from a 12v source to heat the element.
    I think you're right. Whatever it's made of, a direct or alternating current source should not affect it's operation.

However, the unit is designed to resist 120VAC enough to allow so much current to pass in order to achieve a certain power rating in watts. If the voltage provided is one tenth that of design, the wattage (and thus heat) will be reduced accordingly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    If the voltage provided is one tenth that of design, the wattage (and thus heat) will be reduced accordingly.
    Worse. If the heater is an ohmic resistance, the wattage is V2/R, which means the reduction is quadratic. The wattage will be 1/100.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-06-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yup, short trips are killer for fuel economy. What part of the country are you in?

I've seen fossil-fueled coolant / cabin heaters before, but they're super expensive, and not simple to install. Meant for arctic lattitudes.
    I was lucky enough to find a diesel version locally for my smart car years ago, it was a relative bargain on kijiji.I would feel safer using the diesel fuel version for a gas vehicle even though it means plumbing an extra (small) tank of fuel oil... gas is just too explosive for my tastes....

This link should work to show the install...http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/t...comment-316859
    A mechanic would have charged a fortune to install it....

Last edited by strawboss; 01-08-2018 at 12:57 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)