Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Manual transmission for freeway driving?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I learned 2 new things today by reading this thread...

1) You can get a Mirage without AC in Canada

2) K0e1x0 is a postal code (I had no idea what you guys were talking about )

And a final tip for Troytroy40...

DO NOT BUY ANY MIRAGE UNLESS IT HAS HAD A 4-WHEEL ALIGNMENT AND YOU HAVE VERIFIED THAT THE REAR ALIGNMENT IS WITHIN SPECIFICATION.
    Alarmist baloney. Dealers can replace the rear axle within the first year of ownership. Get details on this first year warranty and find out for yourself. It's how I got my axle replaced - that, and paying attention to forum member's experiences.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    P.S.: And get the manual. High or low engine rpms, it still takes so much energy to propel any given object any given velocity in any given atmosphere. Have a look at the forum's Fuel Economy Log and you'll see the manuals beat the CVTs lol.

RPMs - bah. These are good cars with fuel economy rivaling hybrids, without all the hybrid complexity.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yes I will definitely be getting the manual. Assuming I can get a deal. Glad to see that people were having good experience with the manual transmission going freeway speeds long term.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There are some forum members who don't exactly baby their cars and they seem to hold up fine. Test drive one to see if it's a good fit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Alarmist baloney. Dealers can replace the rear axle within the first year of ownership.
    OK...maybe I didn't need to state the rear axle problem in huge red bold type...

The rear axle problem is not that common in these cars. However, it can become a huge pain in the butt if you are one of the (rare) unfortunate ones that end up with a bad axle and you don't have a good dealer.

I'm standing by the following advice...

Anyone buying a new Mirage should require a 4-wheel alignment as a condition of the sale. I would offer to pay for the alignment if it's within spec. It will be the best $89 you ever spent! If the rear end is out of spec, pick another car off the lot...or require the dealer install a new axle prior to purchase. This is too big of an issue to trust that your dealer will be responsive to your concerns after the sale. All Mitsubishi dealers aren't bad, but you can't take that chance. This is my advice to you as a consumer and an ASE Master technician.

My car didn't have a rear axle problem, but the front end did require an adjustment when it was brand new. I wish I would have had it done prior to delivery to save me a return trip to the dealer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Anyone buying a new Mirage should require a 4-wheel alignment as a condition of the sale. I would offer to pay for the alignment if it's within spec. It will be the best $89 you ever spent! If the rear end is out of spec, pick another car off the lot...or require the dealer install a new axle prior to purchase. This is too big of an issue to trust that your dealer will be responsive to your concerns after the sale. All Mitsubishi dealers aren't bad, but you can't take that chance. This is my advice to you as a consumer and an ASE Master technician.
    Gotta agree with you here, Top Fuel. There are too many reports of seedy service departments stiffing buyers and spoiling what all the other reputable dealers try to uphold.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (12-10-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Since I am in the middle of negotiation with the dealership I thought I would share. For the base model I have 14,200 after tax at 0% for 84 months. For the es plus they offered me one of 2 options 99.48 biweekly for 84 months or 16,100 at 3.99% financing. If I had the money to buy it out right I would be all over the 16,100.

These are the final price after taxes fees and include the winter tires and rims

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Troytroy40 View Post
    Since I am in the middle of negotiation with the dealership I thought I would share. For the base model I have 14,200 after tax at 0% for 84 months. For the es plus they offered me one of 2 options 99.48 biweekly for 84 months or 16,100 at 3.99% financing. If I had the money to buy it out right I would be all over the 16,100.

These are the final price after taxes fees and include the winter tires and rims
    Consider this approach for getting your next car.
    1. Clarify the model and options you are after.
    2. Call around to get your best price from three or more dealerships
    3. Bring your own financing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-21-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My $0.02 = There is no way that I would own this car with a CVT because the stick is way too fun! Add some Ultra Racing braces front and rear to stabilize the chassis no matter which you choose.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 70USD For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-20-2016)

Just looking for an update on this thread. Did you pull the trigger on a new car, Troytroy40?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)