Thread: Hail damaged mirage a good buy?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Hail damaged mirage a good buy?

I'm looking to pick up a mirage as a second car. Partly for fun and partly because they are so great for around town. I'm looking to pick one up on the cheap and thought I'd come to the experts for advice.

I've found a 2014 de with a cvt for $5500. It's got 33k miles and i believe is originally from Texas so it should be pretty clean underneath. The one thing is that it has a salvage title and what I'd call moderate hail damage. Does this seem like a fair price for this car and its features?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Tough call without more info or at least pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibles View Post
    ...2014 de cvt for $5500
    ...33k miles
    ...it has a salvage title and...moderate hail damage.
    ...Does this seem like a fair price
    EDIT - I just looked on Kelly Blue Book...and the wholesale value of a "clean" 2014 DE with 33K is $5000. So that price is way too high for a salvage title car. Knowing how thin the sheet metal is on most new cars, "moderate" hail damage probably means that nearly every panel on the car could be toast.

Salvage title cars aren't necessarily junk, but they are nearly un-sellable and any manufacturer's warranty is usually tossed out the window when a car is branded salvage. For another $1,500 you could buy a 2015 with a clean title, no hail damage, and some of the powertrain warranty left. This car would have to be priced around 50% of the wholesale value to even get my interest. There are enough clean used Mirages out there to mess with this one. Just one guy's opinion...

edit - Check out Hertz Car Sales. You can have your choice of multiple 2015 Mirage DE CVTs with 30K miles and warranty for $6995.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 12-12-2016 at 12:12 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also, many insurance companies are loath to insure a car branded salvage or even prior-salvage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    Also, many insurance companies are loath to insure a car branded salvage or even prior-salvage.
    Beat me to the punch. Yes, many companies won't touch it with a 10 foot pole, or a 3 meter one either. Lol
    If your insurer will cover you, and it's your intention to drive the wheels off of it, then it might be one to consider. If you go that route, I'd try and get it cheaper. Otherwise, no thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I misspoke in my first post, it's actually a rebuilt title meaning it was totaled and then inspected by the state at a later date and issued a rebuilt title. My insurance won't cover a salvage vehicle but they will cover a rebuilt one no problem. So i have no concern on the insurance.

But the more I look at it the more i think you're correct, it just isn't cheap enough. I really want a little mirage and the selection is few and far between at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibles View Post
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I misspoke in my first post, it's actually a rebuilt title meaning it was totaled and then inspected by the state at a later date and issued a rebuilt title. My insurance won't cover a salvage vehicle but they will cover a rebuilt one no problem. So i have no concern on the insurance.

But the more I look at it the more i think you're correct, it just isn't cheap enough. I really want a little mirage and the selection is few and far between at this point.
    If it was a previous write off(salvage title) then someone could have just bought if from a salvage auction or insurance company for $1000 then tossed some bondo and paint on the roof and hood, and got it inspected. Rebuilt vehicles have much lower resale.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    I can't see any insurance company knowingly insuring a salvage title vehicle. Previous salvage yes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Know anyone who buys/sells and can access wholesale? Over the years know a few businesses and people who needed certain vehicles and went through mom and pops and asked them to find. The dealer would get $500 over the price for handling the process and you would pay DMV and transport. I knew one guy had a small business and would purchase used F350 yearly and his family would get the best low mileage end of lease cars.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Some banks also won't make loans on previous salvage or my bank will only loan 60% of NADA price. When I got my hail dented Cobalt it had 0 repairs and I never did any and had a salvage title. Not supposed to be able to even drive home. I had to go to sheriff office to have it inspected for stolen parts, cost $25 and some paperwork to get it transferred to prior salvage so it could be registered. I'm sure it varies per state but with just hail dent's the seller probably can have it inspected and title converted to previous before purchasing. My bank won't loan on salvage but will the 60% on previous.

Agree price is to high. I think the 60% retail is a good rule of thumb. You do still get recall coverage even with previous salvage titles.