Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flat Tire- Replacement Advice?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I found a nail in my Corolla's Pirellis when putting on my studded snow tires. Ima take them to Autozone or whatever is close, they'll use a method to see if theres any leaks and seal the leaks off. Make sure they seal it off properly though. My brother bought Tires from Autozone so he had warranty and they fixed the tire for free. However, he checked the tire after they sealed it and he said check it again and it was still slightly leaking. So they tried sealing it again and it worked.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarhead View Post
    If I take it to a tire place I trust, for example, and they say it can be repaired, then the girlfriend and/or I shouldn't have anything to worry about?
    Yep. Mechanics are as worried about liability and return service as anyone else, so I think you'd be fine.

Look at it this way - if it doesn't hold, you're only out $10 for this little experiment. BONUS: you get to report it's progress here every so often. Wouldn't it be funny if this tire outlasts the others? And it's keeping one more tire out of the landfill.

Give it a shot - let us know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yep. Mechanics are as worried about liability and return service as anyone else, so I think you'd be fine.

Look at it this way - if it doesn't hold, you're only out $10 for this little experiment. BONUS: you get to report it's progress here every so often. Wouldn't it be funny if this tire outlasts the others? And it's keeping one more tire out of the landfill.

Give it a shot - let us know.
    Just want to thank everyone for the help thus far. Brought the tire to the tire place, and they were in the process of repairing it and even had taken the spare off when they realized it could not be repaired. The tire was damaged all the the way through, towards the center (forgive me if I misunderstood and hence can't properly describe). They said that it seemingly wasn't plugged properly (AAA guy may have actually rendered the tire irreparable when he plugged it.)

I'm going to opt for a new tire. Should I buy an OEM tire (I believe it's Dunlop), or should I buy cheaper brands like Sunfull or Federal? I googled Federal, and folks were saying it's potentially not great due to its max 38/39 PSI, though I didn't find a lot of info about Sunfull (their website says 44 PSI). Here's a retailer that sells the aforementioned cheaper brands, plus Kumho, which is actually reasonably priced at $65 after free shipping:

https://simpletire.com/catalog?year=...ct=1&zip=11415

Thoughts?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yarhead For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Stick with the same make, series, and size you currently have. Don't mix and match, just buy the same.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Just want to thank everyone for the help thus far. Brought the tire to the tire place, and they were in the process of repairing it and even had taken the spare off when they realized it could not be repaired. The tire was damaged all the the way through, towards the center (forgive me if I misunderstood and hence can't properly describe). They said that it seemingly wasn't plugged properly (AAA guy may have actually rendered the tire irreparable when he plugged it.)
    Excellent - now you know.

I'm going to opt for a new tire. Should I buy an OEM tire (I believe it's Dunlop), or should I buy cheaper brands like Sunfull or Federal? I googled Federal, and folks were saying it's potentially not great due to its max 38/39 PSI, though I didn't find a lot of info about Sunfull (their website says 44 PSI). Here's a retailer that sells the aforementioned cheaper brands, plus Kumho, which is actually reasonably priced at $65 after free shipping:

https://simpletire.com/catalog?year=...ct=1&zip=11415

Thoughts?
    Good question.

1. As zx2uner said, don't mix tires. It can cause problems. All tire industry advice says don't use mismatched tires. A few drivers don't care, but I get the impression it would be important to your and your loved ones. I'll sometimes use different make & model tires, but keep identical tires on each axle.
    2. Have you spoken with a Mitsubishi dealer? I wonder if they could take care of this and get you a new tire - either at a good price or even covered under warranty. Asking would only take more time.
    3. Stick to known brands with proven quality. I'm sure this could be the beginning of another debate, but I would expect the established brands to have a better track record of durability. I could be wrong...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    ...it could not be repaired...it seemingly wasn't plugged properly
    If a shop finds any previous non-standard repair in the tire, they usually will consider the entire tire non-repairable. I know it sounds crazy...but nobody wants the liability.

The super-cheap off-brand tires should be avoided. The usual complaints about bargain tires are that they don't last long and have poor traction qualities.

The Kumho sounds great for $65 and free shipping...but I don't see that tire in a 165-65-14 size. I think it's only available in a 185-65-14. Go HERE and click on the "Size & Technical Data" button to see available Kumho Solus TA31 sizes.

A new Dunlop Enasave is probably your best option at this point. Like Eggman said...check with your dealer. It can't hurt to try. And the last time I checked, the dealer's price on these wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

You could also check out THIS guy if you want to save a few dollars. Maybe he would be willing to ship you one of his tires. They only weigh 13 lbs. I've actually shipped an entire set of 4 to someone. Expect to pay about $20 to ship a single Enasave.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Interesting observation...

You can find a 165-65-14 tire on the Canadian Kumho website, but not on the US Kumho website.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)