Thread: Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 (175/65R14) - Will They Fit?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 (175/65R14) - Will They Fit?

Hi all,

First-time poster here, and first-time vehicle owner, of a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage.

Naturally, this results in the first time that I'm shopping for winter tires, and I am looking at the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 tires. They're purported to be among, if not, the best.

Does anybody here have any experience with these on a Mirage? Will they fit properly, as 175/65R14 is 10mm wider than the stock tires?

Further, the standard rim is 4.5 inches wide; I presume this should not be a problem, or will a slightly wider rim also benefit?

I've read that 185/60R14 might be a closer approximation to the OEM stock Dunlops, so any light shed on that would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dkm For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Welcome to the forum! post some pics of your Mirage when you have a chance. I'll let others weigh in on that particular tire size.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have 175 65 14 Michelin X ice Snow tires on steelies on my 15 mirage. Still getting 40 mpg

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Like stated above, they'll fit fine. You're speedometer will be off though, but negible at 2.2%.

When I lived in North Dakota, I always had a set of Hakkapeliita for the winter. They are amazing. That's all I can say about them.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone! I just came back from a tire installation this morning. Now I'm running on the R2s. There's no snow yet, but the peace of mind is nice to have.

zx2uner, what would you say is the life expectancy for the tires? They're not warranted for any mileage, so I'm not sure how many winters I might be able to have them for before needing to replace them. Have you averaged at least a couple years on these?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got at least 3-4 seasons per set, they wear very well.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've heard nothing but good things from people who have used Nokian winter tires. I hope to get a set for myself in the not too distant future.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    zx2uner, did you mount yours on the stock wheels, or did you get a new set of wheels to accommodate their size? Since they're 10mm wider than stock, I'm wondering if it might have an effect on longevity (if getting a proper sized wheel would increase their life span.) The Nokian website doesn't say, but I read somewhere that these fit "best" with 5" wheels. Since the North American Mirage has 4.5" wheels standard, I do wonder.

Also, since I've had the tires on, I've noticed that the car struggles a bit with acceleration and comes to a stop faster when cruising to a stop at intersections. As this is my first vehicle, I don't know if that kind of decrease in power is standard for all cars fit with winter tires, if they're specific to the Mirage when fitted with winter tires, or with this specific tire type and size, or if it's just my own car. Any thoughts on this?

Daox, I had the first snowfall use with them shortly after installation, and man, did they make a difference. I never had a sinking feeling that I would not stop in time, which I did with the Enasaves (I slid through a stop sign.) I doubt I would've been able to make it home without them. So glad that I went with these top-shelf tires first time out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dkm For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dkm View Post
    zx2uner, did you mount yours on the stock wheels, or did you get a new set of wheels to accommodate their size? Since they're 10mm wider than stock, I'm wondering if it might have an effect on longevity (if getting a proper sized wheel would increase their life span.) The Nokian website doesn't say, but I read somewhere that these fit "best" with 5" wheels. Since the North American Mirage has 4.5" wheels standard, I do wonder.

Also, since I've had the tires on, I've noticed that the car struggles a bit with acceleration and comes to a stop faster when cruising to a stop at intersections. As this is my first vehicle, I don't know if that kind of decrease in power is standard for all cars fit with winter tires, if they're specific to the Mirage when fitted with winter tires, or with this specific tire type and size, or if it's just my own car. Any thoughts on this?

Daox, I had the first snowfall use with them shortly after installation, and man, did they make a difference. I never had a sinking feeling that I would not stop in time, which I did with the Enasaves (I slid through a stop sign.) I doubt I would've been able to make it home without them. So glad that I went with these top-shelf tires first time out.
    I had them on 5.5" wide rims, on my Elantra not my Mirage. I traded her in when I moved to Portland in May. However, I do not believe a 4.5" rim would decrease the longevity.

Now, these are much higher friction than the LRR tires that are normally on your car, assuming that's what you had. Being 74hp, it's highly probable that what you're feeling is exactly what will happen with these tires. The amount of grip and section width these tires are supplying are much greater than what you're used to. So, it will slow quicker, accelerate slower, and decrease your mpg too. It's a fair exchange for the amount of reassurance they'll supply when needed.

Love the Hakks!

(blank signature)