Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Biggest Problem With Modern Cars (Youtube Video)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Hear hear! Soil the secret sauce. It's all good. That's one thing I like about this forum - discussing different points of view.

I got a copy of my manual by registering my Mirage with Mitsubishi's website. Once registered the links for a bunch of manuals were available for download.

Or you could try this link.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (12-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    If it was not for you, my A/C would still come on every time I switched to defrost and I would chalk it up to, "it's just what it does"
    I missed this one! Even though auto AC is switched off, the compressor will still run when switched to defrost. It can be turned off manually when defrost is selected. According to the owner's manual, this cannot be changed. I don't mind as the AC makes a big difference in clearing my windshield of fog.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I missed this one! Even though auto AC is switched off, the compressor will still run when switched to defrost. It can be turned off manually when defrost is selected. According to the owner's manual, this cannot be changed. I don't mind as the AC makes a big difference in clearing my windshield of fog.
    And hey, as an extra bonus, the seals in the A/C compressor stay lubricated (because the compressor runs some) over the winter which helps reduce the leakage of refrigerant over the life of the car!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your saying even if the snowflake isn't on, it can still draw juice? Even after the 10 second hit and hold (I thought) you informed me about 6 months ago?

I certainly don't feel or heat it cycle

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your saying even if the snowflake isn't on, it can still draw juice? Even after the 10 second hit and hold (I thought) you informed me about 6 months ago?

I certainly don't feel or heat it cycle
    No, I'm not saying that. Snowflake on, compressor on. Watch the snowflake appear on your display when you select your defogger, even if you have automatic air conditioning control disabled.
    ❆❄❅
    Did you download your manual? Look for the details on page 7-15.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No, I'm not saying that. Snowflake on, compressor on. Watch the snowflake appear on your display when you select your defogger, even if you have automatic air conditioning control disabled.
    ❆❄❅
    Did you download your manual? Look for the details on page 7-15.
    Yes I did thank you.

My snowflake doesn't automatically turn on just because i select defrost. Hasn't touched the button all winter. Which is exactly how it should be according to your page.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I use the blended floor/defroster mode which does not run the a/c compressor. I find as long as I don't set the temperature above 72 it keeps the windshield clear. If I turn the temp higher than 72, too much air flow passes over the heater core which causes the moisture content to kick up and the windshield will fog slightly. If I have to, I'll just press the defroster button to run the compressor long enough to clear the windshield, then turn it off and it goes back to blended mode.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes I did thank you.

My snowflake doesn't automatically turn on just because i select defrost. Hasn't touched the button all winter. Which is exactly how it should be according to your page.
    Sounds like you've got it figured out then. I'm not sure what to tell you about your AC use during defrost. In any case, the details are spelled out in the owner's manual.

I've had to use my defogger quite a lot, and I find it works faster than any car I've owned.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting video. Sure, it really depends on how much you make and what you can afford for a car but, it's true that in the long run (roughly past the 10+ years mark), the 'techy' stuff in some cars will begin to fail and will cost a good chunk of money to repair/replace. I am a VERY simple person when it comes to the 'comforts' of cars. As long as it starts up during -20(f) degree weather, doesn't fail on me when I drive it long distances, etc, it works for me.

I don't need the 'luxurious' options in a car, like the back/front sensors, the rear view camera, etc. I believe before all of this, driving was fine. If anything, more of these stuff helps the inexperienced drivers out there but at a cost that they can rely on the car more than themselves, which in my opinion, is scary at times.

I do agree that most of the cars out of the dealerships nowadays are ridiculously expensive for the options they have as well. I am glad I got the wife a 2011 Outlander Sport vs a 2011 CRV/Rav4 because the price differences were between 7-8k.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you buy a new vehicle loaded down with all the options, you have to plan on buying the FACTORY service contract that covers the most options on that vehicle. When that contract expires ya kick that turd to the curb and ya buy something new. On a side note, I can't stand auto temp. You're in a space about the size of a large closet. I think i can find the correct blend of heat and air for that myself.