Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Biggest Problem With Modern Cars (Youtube Video)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

The Biggest Problem With Modern Cars (Youtube Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3FDu8KvXOg

Just watched this video and I thought it would be something that a lot of the people here could appreciate.

My parents bought a big, stupid, expensive, impractical Infinity SUV and I'm already feeling this with their choices...

On the flipside, it does kind of make Tesla seem somewhat compelling; Tesla plans on keeping their software updated constantly. I'd rather have something that doesn't break though.

I should start collecting classics when I make more money... hahaha

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (12-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I still like my auto climate control.

So there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I still like my auto climate control.

So there.
    theres a difference between good features and bad ones haha. Auto climate control doesn't break down all that often. We had a car from 1995 that had it working just fine

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    theres a difference between good features and bad ones haha. Auto climate control doesn't break down all that often. We had a car from 1995 that had it working just fine
    Agreed. It's 'old tech'. I was leery of the keyless ignition system on my ES, but I felt better after reading that the technology for it was first introduced on the 1995 S-Class Mercedes. I haven't had a single issue, so it would seem to be pretty reliable.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Agreed. It's 'old tech'. I was leery of the keyless ignition system on my ES, but I felt better after reading that the technology for it was first introduced on the 1995 S-Class Mercedes. I haven't had a single issue, so it would seem to be pretty reliable.
    Well the argument is that keyless ignition means that stealing cars is harder and such. However the issues keyless ignitions fixes could be fixed with chips imbedded within a physical key....which I believe cars like the Celica had.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Well the argument is that keyless ignition means that stealing cars is harder and such. However the issues keyless ignitions fixes could be fixed with chips imbedded within a physical key....which I believe cars like the Celica had.
    I understand most all cars have transponder keys today. I think this widespread adoption is what makes keyless start an easy next step.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought it was silly to move from din standard radios. Lately tho, riding in my friends '10 focus everything (rotary electrical dials) was very intuitive. Radio/heater. Just nice. Not like a tablet. It definitely didn't hawg your attention or eyesight.

Personally I find the Mirage auto climate controls distracting and pet-peave-ish

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Personally, I find the automatic climate control in the Mirage to take less of my attention than a manually operated console.
    [Holy War: alert=on; =on]

1. Based on what I read on this forum before purchase, I turned off the automatic AC operation.
      1. Now the AC compressor runs automatically only upon selecting the defroster for my windshield, or if I call for air conditioning during cooling season.
      2. This saves me money since I can manage when it is running, plus it saves wear and tear on the compressor.
      3. I can easily return to automatic AC operation.
    2. I set my temperature and the auto climate controls handle the rest.
      1. I don't have to pay attention to when the engine heats up - the fan automatically moves more air when the engine ECU tells the climate control that it is up to temperature.
      2. Until then, I have the PTC heaters to help heat things up quicker.
      3. Once the cabin is up to temperature, the auto climate control backs off the fan speed
    3. I have more than three fan speeds available - and they are all handled automatically.
    4. I can choose manual operation whenever I like, and return to auto with the push of a button.
    5. Improved safety. Because I don't have to fidget with the controls, I am able to pay more attention to my driving.

[Boring story alert]
    Back in the day, my 1976 Dodge Colt station wagon (blue - with woodgrain sidepanels!) did not have the complexities that are derided in this youtube rant. I used that car for interstate travel, and put many miles on it. I replaced the ignition points several times because of pitting - good thing for electronic ignition. I also had to tinker with it's carburetor often. Due to concerns over structural corrosion I sold that for a small Datsun pickup, and put a lot of miles on that too. One day when it broke down I borrowed my Dad's car which had air conditioning and cruise control, and used that until I could get the pickup fixed. I had never used cruise control before. I learned that after an 11-hour drive, I arrived more refreshed and was more alert along the way simply because I didn't have to worry about exceeding any speed limits. I was able to pay more attention to the road, and even enjoy the passing scenery a bit more. I look for cruise control on all my cars ever since.
    [/Boring story alert]

Now, I should clarify myself. I get what the youtube rant is driving at. I am put off by all the complexities and cost of cars today. But I sure appreciate how far they have come, and how it has changed the whole experience of getting from one place to another - that's what this is all about. I'm not advocating for driverless cars here - I like driving.

The Mitsubishi Mirage packs a lot of safety, convenience, and reliability in an affordable package - a combination of features and cost that is hard to find in any other new model vehicle in the North American market. Sure, there are others to choose from, and sure there are simpler ones to choose from.

In the meantime, I don't intend to go back. It seems like going back to horse & buggy. If that's the case, I'll take my bicycle. Until then, I like my Mirage the way it is.

But all this is only my opinion. I apologize for any imposition. Also, you'll have to get your own.

References:
    rzb Notes on my Mirage
    festiboi Real Enthusiast
    And Many More

[/Holy War][=remain on]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (12-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Links to controlling auto AC:
    05-02-2016, 04:43 PM
    07-27-2016, 08:54 PM

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (12-18-2016),poorman1 (12-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Egg ok I get it don't diss your secret sauce! Lol

I don't think the climate control in our cars is the devil. Not by a long shot. But I simply prefer non-LCD display systems. This includes everything in life. From climate control in my brand new Geo, the display on my printer, even the stupid display on my aquarium wave pump.

I must admit, I've RARELY use the auto climate control for what it's actual use it (set and forget) and generally could do fine with a 2 button setup. Full A/C blasting at my face, or full heat defrost. Instead of mindlessly turning a knob, then another knob, the mirage forces me to look down and select a button because there is no way to know without viewing it, what it's doing. There's no physical connection or endpoint to "home" yourself on and mindlessly turn the knob "all the way to the left where defrost is"

Another point I think is important, before the car is rendered "obsolete" and crushed, it'll likely have more than 1 owner. Now, eggman, I'm the 2nd owner of my mirage, with a fancy LCD display. Great. Except I didn't get my owners manual. Look at the "features" that simply vanished off the car because I don't know how to operate the display. If it was not for you, my A/C would still come on every time I switched to defrost and I would chalk it up to, "it's just what it does"

Realistically it's obviously a better system. You can house hundreds of options, in a much more compact physical location and offer indefinitely customizable selections just by what you put on the screen. It's just not what I prefer and definitely more distracting because it's more engaging, especially when the interface isn't up to snuff. Exact opposite of what the car industry needs