Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much damage am I doing?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

How much damage am I doing?

Hey all!

So I have a 2015 Mirage 5spd and about three months ago I started up my own little business where I teach people how to drive a manual but the car they learn on is my mirage, I've had a lot of fun doing this and really enjoy how excited people get when they are driving really well but I often wonder how much damage this is causing my transmission. There are stalls...lots and lots and lots of stalls to the point where sometimes we start the motor back up and it's chugging and seems like it's out of balance I have them turn it off and then back on and it runs fine again. There is also lots of bucking and riding the clutch when we practice hill starts. I'm very patient with my students because you know who is perfect right off the bat? I encourage after all the stalls and bucking but sometimes I grind my teeth because I can only imagine what's happening to my transmission. I've purchased a little beater car a 1982 Honda Accord 5spd to be my main car for these lessons but it needs a clutch replacement and the guy at my work in the service department is taking FOREVER to put the dang thing in (he's putting it in for free) so meanwhile the Mirage has been taking all the beatings. Am I going to need a news transmission at 30,000 miles??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cool. I just want to see pictures of the accord. Already fwd even in 82!

Probably the most harmful thing is riding the clutch which is mainly harmful just to the disk not transmission.

I wouldn't really put too much thought into it, unless you/they are grinding gears. Which could be immediately harmful.

Edit: Don't get me wrong you could actually break your crankshaft if it got way out of hand or something lol but I just would think the risk factors generally lower in my opinion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Edit: Don't get me wrong you could actually break your crankshaft if it got way out of hand or something lol but I just would think the risk factors generally lower in my opinion
    oh... >_> well that's cool to know! LOL

Also I'd add some pics of the Honda but I warn you this car has seen better days, I picked it up for $325 so I mean that says a lot right there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdlca View Post
    oh... >_> well that's cool to know! LOL

Also I'd add some pics of the Honda but I warn you this car has seen better days, I picked it up for $325 so I mean that says a lot right there.
    I had a 82' Accord. It was a great car, not a looker by any means, but reliable.

The only things you should be damaging to, and IMO still nothing to worry about, are the clutch and throw out bearing.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey all!

So I have a 2015 Mirage 5spd and about three months ago I started up my own little business where I teach people how to drive a manual but the car they learn on is my mirage, I've had a lot of fun doing this and really enjoy how excited people get when they are driving really well but I often wonder how much damage this is causing my transmission. There are stalls...lots and lots and lots of stalls to the point where sometimes we start the motor back up and it's chugging and seems like it's out of balance I have them turn it off and then back on and it runs fine again. There is also lots of bucking and riding the clutch when we practice hill starts. I'm very patient with my students because you know who is perfect right off the bat? I encourage after all the stalls and bucking but sometimes I grind my teeth because I can only imagine what's happening to my transmission. I've purchased a little beater car a 1982 Honda Accord 5spd to be my main car for these lessons but it needs a clutch replacement and the guy at my work in the service department is taking FOREVER to put the dang thing in (he's putting it in for free) so meanwhile the Mirage has been taking all the beatings. Am I going to need a news transmission at 30,000 miles??
    Your clutch and possibly associated hardware will obviously die very early and should give warning signs first, but in terms of transmission that would depend of how much gear grinding there is. I would change the fluid very often if there is lots of grinding. The motor should not really be affected unless there is over rev, and the bucking/chugging could kill the motor mounts pretty quickly as well. Also, I would make sure the trans is fully up to temp before lessons as the fluid/synchros were designed to work best at temp.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Hey all!

Just a quick FYI. Clutch replacement on the Mirage is not a simple afternoon job. It's about a $1200 shop charge to do one. So consider the cost of premature failure against the benefits of teaching people to drive a manual transmission. I'm guessing that you're not gonna break even.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It would be interesting to use both a CVT and a 5MT to demonstrate the difference to learning drivers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's gonna self destruct. Doom and gloom. Total anarchy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OMG don't do it.. maybe find another beater to do the job then...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is why buying a stick tranny Mirage isn't a great idea, it totally goes against the purpose of the vehicle. A potential huge repair bill is always looming should one borrow a car to a friend or if the owner is a first time manual driver. And should you decide to sell 90% of the buyers say" Oh no, It's a Stick!"

Last edited by flatbroke; 12-20-2016 at 05:16 PM.