Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wont start help

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Wont start help

A few days ago the 2014 mirage we have started acting weird. It would try to turn over but wouldnt. We assumed the battery was dead as it was the stock unit. We replaced it and then it ran ok but the keyless entry wouldnt work, the drivers power window auto feature wouldnt work either. Today it had to be towed as it wouldnt start again. All the electrics work minus the keyless entry that had a new battery in it too. The car wont even turn over.... I checked the voltage and its perfect at 12.86v. Ideas? Its an auto with key start.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know if this is related to your starting problem but the yellow fuse holder (holds 2 fuses) in the passenger compartment fuse block being loose can cause weird problems. Also, if you replace or disconnect your battery for any reason you will have to reset the power window auto feature. The procedure is in the owners manual.

If the battery terminals are disconnected or
    the fuse for electric window is replaced, the
    safety mechanism will be cancelled and the
    door window will not automatically
    open/close completely.
    If the window is open, repeatedly raise the
    driver’s door window switch until the window
    has been fully closed. Following this,
    release the switch, raise the switch once
    again and hold it in this condition for at least
    1 second, then release it. You should now be
    able to operate the driver’s door window in
    the normal fashion.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-15-2017),MetroMPG (12-23-2016),Top_Fuel (12-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Sounds like this might need a trip to the dealer. Whatever the outcome, please be sure to share it. Hopefully, the keyless entry is easily fixed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    UPDATE: Car started fine and all was working this morning -_- an $85 tow later.... Drove it to the dealership and they insisted it must be the battery.... I told him the voltage for the bat. and alt. were fine and tested... service guy checks it out and found nothing wrong but I insisted and they agreed to keep it. I explained that it might not happen again quickly as several weeks passed between events. Tec says it might be the chip in the key or something like that... Im expecting them to "find" nothing and want to give it back to me... I will only take it back if they agree to cover the tow for when it happens again, does that seem reasonable?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Diagnosing intermittent troubles can be difficult, as it can take some time to figure out the pattern of events causing the failure. I have a question for you - does the starter turn the engine over, but it doesn't start? Just trying to gather more details here.

Let's start with your technician's advice that the problem might lie with your transponder key. Read the Wikipedia entry for more info: Transponder car key It's not a very well written article, but it's a start.

So with a transponder key, when the key is inserted in the ignition switch a radio signal wakes up the transponder in the key and asks for the security code. There could be several things that could stop this process:
    • A bad key
      • If the problem lies with the key, try using your second key next time this failure comes back. If you don't have a second key, get one. Ask the dealership to make one for your car. They are expensive, but the extra cost might be offset by the knowledge that it is done according to manufacturer's specs.
    • A failed immobiliser
      • If the problem is the car's immobiliser, then that will need replacement.
    • Radio interference.
      • Do you have multiple transponder keys on your keyring? Another key might be sending it's code, confusing the immobiliser and preventing your car from starting. Try using one key to start your Mirage and stow others away from your ignition. It would be funny if you have another Mitsubishi car and it's key is causing your problems. Also think about other sources of radio interference, such as mobile phones and garage door remote operators.

Of the three courses of action, reducing interference is free and easy, and a new key should be less expensive than replacing and reprogramming your immobiliser.

I've reduced my keyring to three keys - one for the Mirage, one for home, and one for work. I keep my other car's key on a separate ring.

I hope this helps. Let us know what happens next!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-23-2016),poorman1 (12-20-2016),Top_Fuel (12-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Lot's of good tips from Eggman. This might be a simple interference problem from a secondary device.

Does the owner's manual explain the car's "Immobilizer System" (this is what Mitsubishi calls their anti-theft system)? When the computer doesn't detect the proper ignition key for any reason, it will prevent the car from starting. Usually when this happens in most cars, some sort of security light will blink or illuminate on the instrument panel to indicate a problem. If this is the case with the Mirage, see if this light is illuminated the next time your car doesn't start. I think this is what the immobilizer light is...

Name:  immobilizer.jpg
Views: 10021
Size:  47.7 KB

There is a whole section in the service manual on the immobilizer. I just read it briefly, but it seems to indicate that diagnostic codes are stored if a key fails to start the car. I wonder if the dealer is able to tell that?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-20-2016),MetroMPG (09-12-2018),mohammad (12-22-2021)

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Lot's of good tips from Eggman. This might be a simple interference problem from a secondary device.

Does the owner's manual explain the car's "Immobilizer System" (this is what Mitsubishi calls their anti-theft system)? When the computer doesn't detect the proper ignition key for any reason, it will prevent the car from starting. Usually when this happens in most cars, some sort of security light will blink or illuminate on the instrument panel to indicate a problem. If this is the case with the Mirage, see if this light is illuminated the next time your car doesn't start. I think this is what the immobilizer light is...

Name:  immobilizer.jpg
Views: 10021
Size:  47.7 KB

There is a whole section in the service manual on the immobilizer. I just read it briefly, but it seems to indicate that diagnostic codes are stored if a key fails to start the car. I wonder if the dealer is able to tell that?!?
    No light on the dash, no extra keys, dont have a second key as car was purchased used. The first time I turned the key, it kind of turned over for an instant and then nothing at all after that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I want to make sure I'm following you. When you turn the key to the start position and the car doesn't start, exactly what happens:

a) Nothing happens...there's no noise, the engine doesn't crank...nothing
    b) The engine cranks a couple of time, and then nothing
    c) There's a clicking sound...but the engine doesn't crank

All 3 of those can mean something different. Below is a good link to start with. If you have a multi-meter and can measure voltage at the starter, you might be able to find the problem yourself the next time it happens. For now, just make sure all your battery and starter connections are clean and tight.

Why a Car Won't Start

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I want to make sure I'm following you. When you turn the key to the start position and the car doesn't start, exactly what happens:

a) Nothing happens...there's no noise, the engine doesn't crank...nothing
    b) The engine cranks a couple of time, and then nothing
    c) There's a clicking sound...but the engine doesn't crank

All 3 of those can mean something different. Below is a good link to start with. If you have a multi-meter and can measure voltage at the starter, you might be able to find the problem yourself the next time it happens. For now, just make sure all your battery and starter connections are clean and tight.

Why a Car Won't Start
    With the first turn of the key the starter completes maybehalf a revolution and stops. After that no click, no turnover no clicks... Nothing

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caramanos2000 View Post
    With the first turn of the key the starter completes maybehalf a revolution and stops. After that no click, no turnover no clicks... Nothing
    This sounds like a either a battery problem (not holding a charge) or connection problem (corroded positive terminal or bad ground). Have your battery tested.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)