Thread: Tire chains?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Tire chains?

I live in the mountains of NC down a steep (in spots) gravel road. We don't get enough snow here to warrant snow tires and they plow/salt all the paved roads in my county. They don't plow the gravel road that I live on and it stays icy and snowy for a long time after a snow. Has anyone tried tire chains? The manual says that tire chains cannot be used because there is not enough body clearance. Has anyone ignored this advice and been successful? If so, what type of chains did you get? I'd prefer to use the Class "S" diamond pattern type with actual chain link.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Snow/winter tires arent just for snow. Snow tires have better grip in lower temperatures, the worst thing you can do is use Summer tires and the next step up are All Seasons. I'd still put snow tires on if temperatures are very low even if theres no snow.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    The manual says what? Haven't read that, so I used chains in the Sierra Nevada this weekend. Didn't have any problems over the 30 miles and still a lot accumulated snow in the wheel wells.

I didn't even know that there are usual cars without the possibility to put on chains. What should you do if chains are required by law?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have not had a chance to use chains yet, even though I live in the Sierra. The Mirage has been out several days with snow covered roads and icy roads and does just fine without chains. We have yet to install winter tires either - just on the Ensaves. It helps that I have plenty of experience in winter driving. I even commuted for 4 winters around Tahoe with a Geo Metro, putting on chains only one time.

FWIW, we did buy the Laclede Alpine Premier Chains to carry to meet the letter of the law, and to install one day if needed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am using 15" snow tires from a previous car that are a little more than +1, but they are supposed to fit. However, they do scrape on some speed bumps and do it a lot if there is weight in the car, so I'd have to agree that the clearance isn't great. I find chains to be way too much bother and the blizzak snow tires are fantastic. Yeah, they cost, but it's so worth it. The car plows through snow (and stops/steers) better than an AWD car with all season tires. Perhaps I'll get a set that fit better next season ��.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranny For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Alpine View Post
    FWIW, we did buy the Laclede Alpine Premier Chains to carry to meet the letter of the law, and to install one day if needed.
    Do you remember what size and/or part number? Have you tried them to make sure they fit? Any links would be helpful.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Do you remember what size and/or part number? Have you tried them to make sure they fit? Any links would be helpful.
    Stock No 1515 purchased at O'Reilly's and yes test fit done.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gone2Alpine For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Alpine View Post
    Stock No 1515 purchased at O'Reilly's and yes test fit done.
    Must be these then:
    Laclede™ Alpine Premier
    OReilly Auto: Laclede Alpine Premier Tire Chains Part # 1515

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)