Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Operation & details of the Auto Stop & Go (engine stop/start) on a 1.2L CVT Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teasmade View Post
    The only thing I don't like is that to make the system engage, one has to have a foot on the brake pedal - and therefore if you're in a tailback, the person behind you is treated to your brake lights all the time; you can't engage the handbrake and step off the service brakes.
    Being an American that is a huge fan of the UK*, I find the differences between the US and the UK fascinating. Here, with most cars being automatic, people don't put the car in neutral at a red light, they leave it in drive and keep their foot on the brake. Almost nobody uses the handbrake at a red light. They just don't. Even if they have a manual transmission. I'm afraid to take my foot off the brake and use the handbrake at a red light, I'm afraid people will see my brake lights go out, assume I'm moving forward, and rear-end me. Granted, these are observations I've made over the past 3+ decades of being a passenger in California and Ohio, so these may not even be common nationwide.

*My wife and I went to London and Edinburgh for our 10 year anniversary a few years back. First time out of the US for me, and we absolutely loved it. My wife says I took more pictures of cars than I did of other sights. She might be right. I did enjoy not having to drive for 10 days, as your train and bus systems were actually convenient. I actually started collecting London Underground signs for my office, I enjoyed it so much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    It's nice to travel abroad, isn't it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It's nice to travel abroad, isn't it?
    It was so much fun. It was the weirdest feeling though, being a foreigner for the first time in almost 4 decades. I just wish I hadn't had a horrible head cold the whole 3 days we were in Edinburgh.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    In my Space Star I don´t have to have a foot on the break pedal. The car only has to be very slow and the transmission has to be in neutral - then the motor stops automatically. Therefore I very often only use the handbrake. If the motor starts again the car has to be accelerated to a certain speed or has to move a certain distance to reset the start-stop system instantly, but otherwise the motor also stops again after a certain time if the car won´t be moved after starting the motor by mistake.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 25Plus For This Useful Post:

uheym (04-18-2016)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I have the manual, I don't know if the CVT acts the complete same way.. but I made a small video, start stop function.
    With and without brake + handbrake..

vid.me/pc3a

I did not see the thread head that it should have been a CVT ..
    I will make a video more with defrost-climate control and rear window heater on.
    So you can see what happens..

vid.me/aw2d
    Last edited by uheym; 04-19-2016 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Video with defrost ...

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uheym For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-19-2016),MetroMPG (04-19-2016),wellswebdesign (04-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is super cool. I now have green graph, green leaf, and green A envy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    That is super cool. I now have green graph, green leaf, and green A envy.
    +10 mpg to that!

Thanks for the videos, uheym!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    It's always a pleasure to help others so I'm glad you liked it !

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ughh, so jealous. I manually stop/start my engine 3 or 4 times on my way to work to avoid long idles. It doesn't start as fast as yours and I'm worried about excessive wear on my starter/battery.

I have a 10 year new car warranty. I wonder if they would cover the starter if it failed in that time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 53.4 mpg (US) ... 22.7 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerAbuser View Post
    Ughh, so jealous. I manually stop/start my engine 3 or 4 times on my way to work to avoid long idles. It doesn't start as fast as yours and I'm worried about excessive wear on my starter/battery.

I have a 10 year new car warranty. I wonder if they would cover the starter if it failed in that time.
    Idling uses such a tiny amount of fuel. I'll only turn the engine off if I know I'll be stopped more than 2 or 3 minutes. That's usually waiting for a freight train to go by, or at a White Castle drive thru... they're SLOW. I've got a Scangauge that gives the trip fuel cost and daily fuel cost. It shows that it takes around 5-6 cents of gas to drive a mile, and Fuelly confirms that. Sometime soon, I'll get out the stopwatch, and see how long it takes to use a penny of gas to idle. If I had to guess, I'd say a minute. Maybe? Something tells me that unless the components are designed for ASG, it wouldn't be worth the extra strain on the starter, alternator, and battery, to manually stop/start on a regular basis.