Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still looking for a used Mirage

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Kevhaw if you decide to get a manual transmission check that the clutch is properly adjusted and you'll be good to go.

Ask the sales person to teach you how to drive it and tell us the reaction you get lol.
    Ha ha! The look on the salesman's face would be priceless. Especially if I tell him I want to test drive it, but haven't driven a standard vehicle in 34 years

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kevhaw For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-01-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I do agree the dealers in ON are asking premium prices on used Mirages. My local dealer had '14s on the lot with less than top trim in the $8 - $10,000 range.
    This seems odd when a new one can be had for $12,900.
    You need to be less apprehensive about "the rear alignment issue" as well. Sure there's a few but this is true in every line. I traded my '14 with useable tread still left on perfectly worn original Enasaves with 70,000km on them. You can check tire wear and test drive any Mirage you look at to reveal possible alignment issues.
    Now when I traded my Mirage I only got $7000.00 for it and judging from the other used ones on the lot it would likely sticker at $10,999 maybe more. If I had sold it outright I should have gotten the $7000 easily (would've asked maybe $7900 and left room to haggle).
    So.. why don't you go proactive and place an add on kijiji stating what you want. If anyone is thinking of trading their Mirage to give you a call after they have a trade offer from dealer. This will give you a motivated seller, a starting price from which to negotiate and balance of factory warranty if you buy it.
    There is a chance someone will come to you.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-02-2017),Eggman (01-01-2017),kevhaw (01-07-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I do agree the dealers in ON are asking premium prices on used Mirages. My local dealer had '14s on the lot with less than top trim in the $8 - $10,000 range.
    You need to be less apprehensive about "the rear alignment issue" as well. Sure there's a few but this is true in every line. I traded my '14 with useable tread still left on perfectly worn original Enasaves with 70,000km on them. You can check tire wear and test drive any Mirage you look at to reveal possible alignment issues.
    Now when I traded my Mirage I only got $7000.00 for it and judging from the other used ones on the lot it would likely sticker at $10,999 maybe more. If I had sold it outright I should have gotten the $7000 easily (would've asked maybe $7900 and left room to haggle).
    So.. why don't you go proactive and place an add on kijiji stating what you want. If anyone is thinking of trading their Mirage to give you a call after they have a trade offer from dealer. This will give you a motivated seller, a starting price from which to negotiate and balance of factory warranty if you buy it.
    You make some very good suggestions! Thanks for the feedback!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhaw View Post
    Thanks for the info!
    This dealer is about 2 hours from me and does have fairly good google reviews. It's the only dealership that I can find that seems to have a legitimately good deal on a new 2015.

http://www.rougevalleymitsubishi.ca/...9-a611003a80a2

It's the most stripped down version of the Mirage, but $9000CDN is $6694US so I guess it's still a good deal. All in it would likely be about $7565US plus licensing cost.

I should take a drive up there and check it out...
    Never mind. Lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhaw View Post
    The dealers here in Ontario Canada are charging almost as much for their used Mirages as new ones! However, the new ones that they have are way overpriced.

CVT 2017 Mirages are selling for approximately $16,500CDN at most of these dealerships. This is before taxes and licensing. Our tax rate is 13%.

There may be the odd 2015 new with manual transmission for a good price still left around, but once you add the CVT the price jumps enormously here.

I'm not a standard driver. I could learn, but from what I understand, the manual transmissions on these cars are hard and expensive to replace. So, while I'm grinding gears, learning how to drive standard, I am possibly doing damage to an expensive system.

Well, as time wags on the 2017's will become used cars and likely there will be better deals too from dealers. I'll just keep looking and waiting
    I bought a 2016 Outlander Sport today with 5 miles on it, for $16k after the $7k in rebates I qualified for... I got $7.5k for the Mirage as a trade in also, at 40k miles...

Name:  20170102_163639.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  97.5 KB

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nice!
    It's not a mirage but it's a good buy never the less.
    Congrats.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

HitShane (01-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I still wouldn't buy a used Mirage with a stick tranny. The transmission is not the problem, it's the clutch. IT'S A WEAR ITEM! The person that dumped the car most likely burned up half of it learning or relearning how to drive it. Now it belongs to the next person, and they do the same thing. Can a person see that $1000 repair bill coming at them? I keep hearing that "Oh but it's fun to drive!" No thanks. I'll just stay with my boring CVT.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    I still wouldn't buy a used Mirage with a stick tranny. The transmission is not the problem, it's the clutch. IT'S A WEAR ITEM! The person that dumped the car most likely burned up half of it learning or relearning how to drive it. Now it belongs to the next person, and they do the same thing. Can a person see that $1000 repair bill coming at them? I keep hearing that "Oh but it's fun to drive!" No thanks. I'll just stay with my boring CVT.
    The clutch is always a wear item on a standard. These are very easy to shift and learn on. I doubt it's very easy to burn one up unless you do it on purpose. Small cars with small engines are extremely easy to learn on. I taught my ex how to drive stick in my Suzuki Sidekick. You didn't even have to give it gas you could just let out the clutch and it would roll forward. You could shift without using the clutch and it was so easy to rev match the gears.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    IchabodCrane it looks like someone else is reading the posts in this forum! Here's a brand new ad on kijiji for someone looking for a used Mirage in the $1000-$2000 range.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/n...ationFlag=true

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    Completely agree. Y'all enjoy your silly friction disk. I want a bunch of hydraulic valves, actuators, solenoids and some sort of metal hybrid belt controlled by dozens of sensors, a few computers and a pump.

A standard transmission is MUCH easier to deal with long term after warrantee is up.