Thread: Test drove the G4 CVT last evening

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lightbulb Test drove the G4 CVT last evening

Ive always been a manual transmission guy. Of the 40 or so cars Ive owned only maybe 3 of them were automatics. I read all the Mirage reviews by the "experts", heard all of the bad press, and was expecting the CVT to be horrible. It was not bad at all. The only reason we test drove the CVT is that Kelly Mitsubishi in Emaus didnt have a single manual on the lot despite the website saying otherwise.
    The car was quiet and accelerated well enough for me with 2 180lb full size adults in the car. It even handled ok. What is all of the bad press about? Does the CVT have any mechanical issues/problems that are going to pop up on me after a year or 2? Is the Mirage good in the snow?
    Now for my dilemma, which to pick: SE G4, GT hatchback....neither of which come in a manual in the USA....but again that CVT was winning me over. I heard the mpg is better with the manual though? Is that true?
    Any thoughts and guidance would be very helpful and appreciated.
    Thank you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    The CVT, by all accounts that I am aware of, is quite reliable. On KBB.com, under reviews for these cars, there is someone who claims to have 222,000 miles on their '14 CVT with no trouble. I think one or two people have had their CVTs replaced under warranty, but they seem to be isolated issues. Powertrain warranty is 100k or ten years, so I don't think it is anything to worry too much about.

The Mirage is great in the snow, or at least mine has been (with studless snow tires). The combination of front wheel drive, low weight, low horsepower, traction control, ABS, etc, make for a car that handles snow pretty well.

Mpg is better with the manual...if you know how to drive one.

I really wish Mitsubishi offered the manual across the entire Mirage range, but apparently they believe that the only people who buy manuals anymore are people too poor to afford the CVT? I would probably be okay with a CVT, it just isn't worth $1,000 to me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I don't understand all the negativity around the CVT either. When I had the 2015 from Mitsu, it was a pretty nice, and I loved the way the CVT fairly aggressively kept RPMs low for good fuel economy. It was also quite capable of moving out of its own way when the need arose. Yes, its louder than an a luxury sedan or even a family sedan, but it isn't anywhere close to unbearable or even obnoxious.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

flatbroke (01-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    Is the Mirage good in the snow?

Thank you.
    The mirage is one of the best cars I've had in the snow.
    (Not including trucks or 4x4 etc)

I use the factory ensavias and my car is lowered a little. Still performs fantastic.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love my G4 SE but do admit that the CVT takes a bit of getting used to if you have little or no experience with it. After a month I rarely notice it now, just let it do its thing.

I love the mileage, the interior is roomy and the trunk is really quite spacious. One reason I went for the G4 SE is for the heated seats and an enclosed trunk. Living in the city means no garage, just an off street lot, so secure storage and every bit of warm in the winter helps. I have found it to be comfortable and reasonably quiet, only when hard acceleration is there excessive noise. Seats are comfortable too. The GT is rare here so far, dealer had 80 some ES hatches and ES G4s. Only 1 GT on the lot however.

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep you will love any Mirage. Mine goes great in the snow even with my factory Dunlop Enasave Tires. Personally I like the GT hatch cause you get LED Tail Lights and HID Headlights which you do not get in the G4. But in the G4 you get more rear seat room (but the rear seat in the hatch has plenty of room) but lose a few MPG. I have a 2015 Mirage ES with CVT, Nav, Parking Sensors, Exterior Package, Chrome Package and so on and have not had any issues with the mechanicals or anything for that matter (mine has 13,300 miles). Did you end up getting one of them yet? They really are great little cars with a ton of personality.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    These cars are awesome in the snow.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    They are quite good in the snow. Mostly due to narrow tires.
    The CVT does "learn" from your driving so jumping into a new car it will not run the same as one you've driven a while.

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)