Thread: Green Car Reports Reviews The Mirage G4 CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts

Green Car Reports Reviews The Mirage G4 CVT

Well it's not glowing but it's not all damnation either. I don't think it was a very thorough and only brought out a lot of negative points.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...mileage-review

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If there was a pony in there aside from fuel economy, I couldn't find it. One thing reviewers almost never mention is that Mirage can always be had with steep discounts. I'd have to agree that anyone paying 18K for a new Mirage did not make a wise purchase. But for less than 11k, it might be worth it. And like most subcompact sedans, our Mirage is no looker. With plastic wheel covers, my subjective opinion is that it looks awfully low rent. Well, I guess the reviewer said it was scrappy, which doesn't sound bad. I'm not exactly sure what makes a car scrappy, but it sounds better than crappy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Review is mostly nonsense in my opinion. I have driven my G4 in urban highways and streets and never felt out of control.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsuko For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (01-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
    Review is mostly nonsense in my opinion. I have driven my G4 in urban highways and streets and never felt out of control.
    I agree. I drove my hatch over 3000 miles round-trip and it was a fine, comfortable cruiser. I had no qualms.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The car does not have spectacular handling, but it's hardly out of control. A little self centering on the steering would be welcome. But said steering certainly turns the car in an incredibly tight circle. It's fun to see the look on a passenger's face when it uturns on a narrow street.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranny For This Useful Post:

flatbroke (01-07-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I stopped reading green car reports quite a while ago. Aside from their coverage (in that they don't review performance cars), they're basically no different from any other auto reviewer. I tried to comment on this on their site and basically was told to shove off.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Against virtually any other car of its size, the Mirage just isn't rewarding to drive. It's slow and noisy, and at higher speeds, its ride and handling are very barely controlled."

Another reason why it's very difficult to read car reviews nowadays. It's really easy to judge a car while driving it for only 300 miles. Reading all the reviews about the Mirage, I see the "it's slow" a lot. What were they expecting? An acceleration of the Lancer Evolution? It's a 1.2L, 3 cylinder engine. Also, you don't (and shouldn't) need to go from 0-60 in under 6 seconds anywhere on the street as well. I do agree about the pricing of it but Mitsubishi has really good rebates currently, so that 18k price tag could fall.

The Mirage has to be put into it's own class of competitors. It can't be compared to more 'luxurious' cars/hybrids out there because there is a huge difference between the Mirage and a Hyrbid Toyota Camry/Accord because those are 2 totally different classes of cars. So, again, it's hard for me to read reviews now because it's literally a first impression and not a long term impression.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Also, you don't (and shouldn't) need to go from 0-60 in under 6 seconds anywhere on the street as well." AMEN!

My G4's sticker price was $18,100. With incentives and really generous trade in on my old car (gave me $1500 for it, paid $2K year and a half ago,) my G4 was under $14.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
    Same here. And I found the revised suspension to be amusing enough to throw it into corners at speeds higher than any typical owner would.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    A little self centering on the steering would be welcome.
    Mitsu fixed this for the 2017 model year:

Thread: EPS (electric power steering) actively self-centers steering for 2017 (video)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)