Thread: Anyone with coilover experience?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Anyone with coilover experience?

All,

I am looking for some real world insight on coilovers for our cars.

I have H&R springs, and UR rear sway, and UR front strut bar, and I am still not satisfied... I think maybe with a quality set of Shocks and Struts I might be, but I will probably die before that happens, and its still undersprung, so I am thinking of just going Coils.

The question is, do any firm the car up enough to not be the swaying pig on a pogo stick that it is? The H&Rs in my opinion are not stiff enough. They only really lower the car and thus allow it to slam off the bumpstops even harder than it did before.

I have 75000 miles of a love/hate relationship with this car, and the ONLY hate is the suspension. I honestly love the rest of it.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Taiwan
    Thanks
    I am currently running on custom coilovers called Ftuned (made in Malaysia), so far so good, rolling is much less of course. I was previously running on very low sport springs as well (1 finger height between tire and fender), now with the coilover is slightly higher, about 2 finger.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can you elaborate on the custom part? I looked at the website you shared on the other thread and I didn't see an application for the Mirage. Did they work with you to put a set together? Did they give you the spring rates? What about the dampers? Are they adjustable for firmness? Or only height? Thank you!
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Taiwan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Can you elaborate on the custom part? I looked at the website you shared on the other thread and I didn't see an application for the Mirage. Did they work with you to put a set together? Did they give you the spring rates? What about the dampers? Are they adjustable for firmness? Or only height? Thank you!
    They are doing custom for all vehicle, if you are to order from them, they should already have the design etc as they are few Mirages here in Malaysia are running on ftuned. I'm using 4k stiffness for front and rear, could opt for 5k in the front too. It is high low and soft hard, inverted monotube .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jjjoooyyy For This Useful Post:

Basic (01-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would take your factory springs and measure them up and CALL eibach directly. They have hundreds of springs for universal application for 60-80$ each spring.

I mentioned it before too that the Toyota echo rear shocks should be bolt in and go (per Monroe) and koni makes adjustable rear shocks for it. Jyst be sure to Check for a droop limit so you don't dump your spring somewhere

If all else fails.... Buy wrecked '17 springs and shocks?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But the 17 shocks and spring

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)