Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a used Mirage buyer?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Advice for a used Mirage buyer?

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a 2015 Mirage SE (highest trim level here in Canada) with CVT. It has 18k KM on it, comes with an extra set of wheels with winter tires, and is currently listed for $12995.

I have a few questions for owners that could help me make a decision here.

-Is there anything I should know about 2015 Mirages? Any service bulletins or recalls or things to watch out for?

-Is this a good deal I'm looking at? How much should I try to haggle the price down?

-Mildly unrelated but something I noticed when test driving a Mirage. The rear wiper blade pattern is totally off center. It bothered me. Are all Mirages like this? Do you guys just get used to it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Hello ecoboxer and welcome to the forum.

$13k sounds like a lot for a used model. What do they sell for new there where you are?

The Mirage is a reliable car. Reports of problems are scarce. The one recurring problem has been rear axle alignment, so you might want to get that checked. It's easy to conceal with a new set of tires.

The Mirage comes with an impressive array of features for an economy car, and it has the best non-hybrid fuel economy. Cheap to buy, cheap to operate.

I'm not sure what to say about a off-center rear wiper. I thought that comes with the design found on hatches with small windows.

I'm going to guess that you have taken one for a test drive - probably after work - and were curious enough to go online and check owner's perspectives. Is there anything else in particular you were wondering? Tell us more - what are you looking for in a car, and/or in the Mirage?

Again, welcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoboxer View Post
    ...looking to buy a 2015 Mirage SE (highest trim level here in Canada) with CVT.
    ...It has 18k KM on it
    ...comes with an extra set of wheels with winter tires
    ...listed for $12995.
    ...Is this a good deal I'm looking at?
    Converting all of that to US values...

2015 ES CVT
    11,000 miles (18k KM)
    $9,800 ($12,995 CAD)

That price sounds about right for what a US dealer would be asking. Plus you're getting an extra set of wheels/tires in the deal. Try to get that price down closer to $12,000 CAD. In the US, there's not a lot demand for used Mirages, so getting that price knocked down another $1,000 here would be fairly easy. It might be different for you guys in Canada.

Is there anything I should know about 2015 Mirages?
    Eggman already touched on the main thing to look out for...a rear axle that is out of alignment. When this happens, the rear tires can wear out VERY quickly. It's a problem that can only be corrected by replacing the entire rear axle assembly.

Here's an easy thing to look for. A properly aligned Mirage with 18,000 kilometers should still have ALL 4 of its original tires (165-65-14 Dunlop Enasaves). If you find that this car has 2 brand new tires, 4 brand new tires, or mis-matched tire brands...then I would be very suspicious. The Dunlop tires on the Mirage aren't the best, but they shouldn't be worn out in 18k KM unless there is an alignment problem. If there's anything with the tires that doesn't look right, insist on the car having a 4-wheel alignment check performed before you purchase the car. Personally, I would have this done even if the tires look OK. It will be the best $100 you ever spent.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-06-2017 at 02:38 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Remember it is $13000 CAD, so thats about $9800 US (hah, Top Fuel beat me to it). That is still on the higher side IMO. You can get a used Mirage all day here for about $7000 US (~9200 CAD).

I would absolutely check the rear alignment before buying. Other than that, its a pretty reliable car.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone, I will definitely investigate the rear axle for alignment issues.

I know I can get a DE or ES mirage much cheaper, but I am fairly adamant on the SE model with all the features (fog lights, heated seats, alloy wheels, etc). Unfortunately there aren't many available. January is always a slow time for car sales so I'm going to try to squeeze the price down to $12000.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That is right on par with used prices (dealership) in Canada, ON specifically.
    I was at the dealer yesterday.
    My trade in, 2014 SE CVT w/70,000km is on the lot for $10,714.00
    There is a green ex driver training Mirage. 2013 SE w/14,700km for $8,999.00.
    As noted above look at tires n such..
    There were only a couple service bulletins on the 2014 to current model. Nothing real big. Certainly no issue if there's only 18,000km on it.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've been hunting too for the cheapest used Mirage I can get. They are all located very far from me. I've been using kijiji as a source. Every private seller has not responded to the email that I send that specifically asks about alignment. I ask if the car pulls to the left or right when the driver is on the highway. I ask if he has to constantly correct the steering to keep straight.

Some of these used cars have been on kijiji since November, so the fact that the owners won't engage with me is indicative that a problem may exist.

I'm just looking for the cheapest Mirage with a CVT transmission. I'd like cruise control, but can live without it.

Now, I did contact a dealer in Collingwood Ontario. Blue Mountain Chrysler. He has a couple of DE's with CVT and around 60,000KM for $9955 I believe. He did respond saying the alignment on his car was "perfect. We'll put it on our digital hunter rack for you before you drive out!"

This sounds like "fluff" and I'm sure he'd have a printout prepared ahead of time, saying that the alignment is spot on. I'm also sure he'd toss on a set of brand new el cheapo tires too to eliminate my using a tire tread depth gauge to check for uneven tire wear.

I'm very interested in hearing how things go for you! Good luck on your hunt for an SE Mirage.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kevhaw For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-07-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhaw View Post
    I've been hunting too for the cheapest used Mirage I can get. They are all located very far from me. I've been using kijiji as a source. Every private seller has not responded to the email that I send that specifically asks about alignment. I ask if the car pulls to the left or right when the driver is on the highway. I ask if he has to constantly correct the steering to keep straight.

Some of these used cars have been on kijiji since November, so the fact that the owners won't engage with me is indicative that a problem may exist.

I'm just looking for the cheapest Mirage with a CVT transmission. I'd like cruise control, but can live without it.

Now, I did contact a dealer in Collingwood Ontario. Blue Mountain Chrysler. He has a couple of DE's with CVT and around 60,000KM for $9955 I believe. He did respond saying the alignment on his car was "perfect. We'll put it on our digital hunter rack for you before you drive out!"

This sounds like "fluff" and I'm sure he'd have a printout prepared ahead of time, saying that the alignment is spot on. I'm also sure he'd toss on a set of brand new el cheapo tires too to eliminate my using a tire tread depth gauge to check for uneven tire wear.

I'm very interested in hearing how things go for you! Good luck on your hunt for an SE Mirage.
    I've used a Hunter alignment machine many times and it's a bit difficult to cheat on alignment print out figures. Can it be done? Sure, but the dealer really gains nothing if he finds the rear alignment is off and sells it to you anyhow. No dealer wants to create a problem with a customer. If you get a printout on an alignment off a rack it's probably accurate.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to flatbroke For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-08-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhaw View Post
    Good luck to you too, there aren't that many Mirages in Canada so finding one can be tricky. Granted I am picky about what I want, I want a 2015 SE in black, and there is only one car in Canada that fits that criteria and it is way out in New Brunswick. I live in the GTA. Makes it much more difficult for me to buy a car that is 12h40m away.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoboxer View Post
    Good luck to you too, there aren't that many Mirages in Canada so finding one can be tricky. Granted I am picky about what I want, I want a 2015 SE in black, and there is only one car in Canada that fits that criteria and it is way out in New Brunswick. I live in the GTA. Makes it much more difficult for me to buy a car that is 12h40m away.
    Better hammer down lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)