Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a car that you used to own that you miss badly?

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Is there a car that you used to own that you miss badly?

If there is a car that you owned at one time and really miss, what is it?

Mine is my old 1991 Chevy Cavalier station wagon. It was a wolf in sheep's clothing and even had a license plate of "SLEEPR" at one time. It was an extremely fun car, and roomy enough for the whole family. I surprised a lot of people, made some mad, but all in all people got a kick out of seeing it. I called it Wagonstein.

10 psi of boost dyno pull with no fans on the car at all.

The torque of the motor made it really easy to tow small loads with it. Here is a load of firewood.

Here is what the new owner did with the car.......

http://whatmonstersdo.com/blog2/2012...lier-rs-wagon/

After fixing a few things and putting some bigger injectors in the car, it made 385 hp at 15 psi.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-29-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good thread!!!! Really nice cavy wagon! I did look at a few for sale on craigslist, if I was going to have a cavy it had to be a wagon.

I have a few cars...

My 1987 Toyota MR2 was a fantastic car, it was abused by me daily, 7K rpm shifts regularly, straight pipe exhaust that would shoot fire often, took me across the united states and back with 260K+ miles on the clock. I really think the Miata handles better and can take corners slightly faster than a first generation AW11 MR2 but the AW11 is so much more fun than a Miata, and scary at times too! It has to be straight piped, it just has to be, the engine is behind you and its so incredible to hear that 16V DOHC scream. Mine was turbocharged with mega squirt for a short period of time, mega squirt was had tunes set for MPG and performance with a easy selector switch, I managed 41 MPG across the USA with zero aero mods, stock tires at 30psi, with a stock ecu (mostly 55mph and very easy on the throttle)

But even though my MR2 was completely incredible and I miss it dearly, my heart will always belong to my 1987 CRX DX. I bought it from a friend that had it, it was heavily rusted from Pennsylvania (go figure I live there now), white with grey body molding, I put VX wheels on it painted white of course, msd 6a ignition, managed 35-40mpg regularly with a carburetor (CVCC). I did a complete blue to black interior swap from a Si crx, suspension upgrade from a integra. It had a glass pack on it when I got it, must have been on there for a while because it had a slight burnt exhaust valve hiccup when idling that I loved to hear. My 1980 Plymouth Arrow (Mitsubishi Lancer re badged for usa) was the first good mpg vehicle I had, but the CRX was the first I really started paying attention to mpg with due to the cost of gas increasing at the time. I regret not having any pictures of it anymore, I might have some on a old laptop, It was simular to this, white/grey with the lower front lip painted black and white vx wheels. It had some rear fender rust that I cut my hand on (required 5 stiches) so I named it stitch .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

chicken_stanley (04-30-2017)

Cool cars! Good thread idea!

I miss two cars, both are in my avatar:

1) 2000 Honda Insight, 5-speed:

Why? 3 cylinders FTW!

As everyone knows, I'm a big efficiency nerd, and Honda let their engineers off the leash to make it the most efficient car possible. I marveled at the engineering every time I drove it. And I ecomodded it further and it could get 100 mpg US (2.4 L/100 km / 43 km/L) all day long in warm weather at moderate speeds (50 mph / 80 km/h).

I sold it after a few years because it was an impulse buy in the first place, and I didn't really need an extra car. Also, it's bad to let an older hybrid battery (or any battery for that matter) just sit. Much better to be driven regularly, and I wasn't using it very much.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eed-16905.html

2) 1992 Geo Metro converted to 100% electric drive:

A buddy and I converted this from gas to electric for about $1000 all in, including the car. After it was built we shared it alternate weeks. I was just an in-town runabout. It was really slow, and didn't go very far on a charge, but it was still very cool to drive. Parted it out last year due to underbody rust.

ForkenSwift: electric car conversion on a beer budget

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Oh man, CRX and MR2! I could only dream.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I miss my 1976 Chevrolet Camaro most of all I think. This was my first new car purchase and I was so excited and proud to drive it to high school. I actually got in the school newsletter as car of the month.

It was a 350ci 4 barrel carb. And 5 speed stick shift, the rest was basic no radio no power windows etc. I always installed my own stereo systems at that time.

The price was $2999.00 !!! Yes this was right before cars (and gas) started to shoot up in price.

My friends and I had a LOT of fun with this car. Plenty of crazy weekends out driving and partying! I never even checked the fuel mileage as gas was only about 60 to 80 cents per gallon at the time.

Name:  1976Camarocrop.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  99.6 KB

There it is I guess it was a 4 speed, at least that's what the article said.(just check out that young stud! LOL)!
    Last edited by DonHoot; 01-30-2015 at 07:45 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    My mom's old car, Ford TX-3 and Honda Genio (Indonesian name). But i don't miss them that badly since I own the best car that beats them both, My Galant!

Name:  295459276_8fd5805590.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  genio.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4311.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  95.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2001 Toyota Echo. I had replaced the clutch and rebuilt the transmission, so I planned to drive that car until it died. Unfortunately my Echo got totaled in September, so I got the Mirage because it was comparable and I was able to get one with a manual transmission.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Cool cars! Good thread idea!

I miss two cars, both are in my avatar:

1) 2000 Honda Insight, 5-speed:

Why? 3 cylinders FTW!

As everyone knows, I'm a big efficiency nerd, and Honda let their engineers off the leash to design this car. I marveled at the engineering every time I drove it. And I ecomodded it further and it could get 100 mpg US (2.4 L/100 km / 43 km/L) all day long in warm weather at moderate speeds (50 mph / 80 km/h).

I sold it after a few years because it was an impulse buy in the first place, and I didn't really need an extra car. Also, it's bad to let an older hybrid battery (or any battery for that matter) just sit. Much better to be driven regularly, and I wasn't using it very much.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eed-16905.html

2) 1992 Geo Metro converted to 100% electric drive:

A buddy and I converted this from gas to electric for about $1000 all in, including the car. After it was built we shared it alternate weeks. I was just an in-town runabout. It was really slow, and didn't go very far on a charge, but it was still very cool to drive. Parted it out last year due to underbody rust.

ForkenSwift: electric car conversion on a beer budget

You are very interesting! I love both the insight and the metro, and I am fascinated with your conversion to electric. Very neat!

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    1986 vw scirocco 16v with webber carb kit. This thing I would have kept forever and ever.
    Name:  mk2 scirocco.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  25.4 KB

1989 accord lx coupe with a h22 conversion from a prelude, back before hondas were "cool" and "rice" I loved this car, it made me happy to just cruze around in it
    Name:  1989accordlxcoupe.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  100.0 KB

1998 jeep cherokee sport, skyjacker liftkit, 4.0 straight six, performance headers, 3" full straight through exhaust, supercharged. this picture was when I first got it, I can't seem to find any others on this computer. This thing would go anywhere, it never met a hole that it couldn't climb out of, but very unstable on the highway with the larger liftkit.
    Name:  1229906_10153203837845503_409155970_n.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  71.2 KB

Wow - some of these cars are genuine collectibles.