Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Car & Driver: 2017 Mirage GT CVT review - "Mitsubishi has lost its mojo"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    C&D's remarks about nobody loving a cheap car like the Mirage is just silly talk. Mine is just as pampered as any car I've ever owned - which is to say very much so.

And on the subject of silly talk, I get tired of hearing GM referred to as government motors. So what if they were bailed out. They paid it back in full and better a bailout than bankruptcy. GM has since released some interesting cars. Volt and Bolt (stupid name) are two such examples.

I used to get worked up about other people's driving habits, but one of the (few) good things about getting older is I really don't give much of an s..t anymore. As long as they don't run into me ��.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranny For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-20-2017),MightyMirageMpg (01-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All these reviewers irritate me and I call them out as often as I have time about the Mirage. I own 3 Grand Marquis, an F150, a Fusion and an Aerostar. I added the Mirage to the fleet this year.

Driving my 83 Grand Marquis is like driving a comfortable couch.

I like the softer ride and lighter steering my Mirage has vs my Fusion.

Sporty handling and suspensions are great as long as you don't drive long distances. Otherwise they're fatiguing. I drove it on a relatively long road trip and it was comfortable as could be I feel nearly crippled after getting out of my Fusion on the same trip.

It's not even that loud.

Find me another automatic that'll get nearly 50mpg and meet that.

The sole drawback and complaint I have is about the power, but for the gas mileage how can you complain?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    And on the subject of silly talk, I get tired of hearing GM referred to as government motors. So what if they were bailed out. They paid it back in full and better a bailout than bankruptcy. GM has since released some interesting cars. Volt and Bolt (stupid name) are two such examples.
    Tell this to somebody who bought GM stock only to get screwed in the bankruptcy proceedings in favor of the unions. Tell this to somebody who bought a completely terrible and trouble-prone 2005 Impala only to be told by "New GM" that the car was manufactured by "Old GM" and the car's warranty wouldn't be honored.

Personally, I don't believe that any company is 'too big to fail'. Oh, and btw...GM repaid most of it's loans with GM stock, which was worth significantly less than the amount loaned when the Fed finally sold it. The US Treasury lost $10.6B on that deal, but it was in the government's and GM's best interest to put a happy face on it and say that it was "repaid with interest".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You're telling it to someone who owned GM stock for many years. It paid a decent dividend, but I sold it long before the most recent troubles.

Your post did spur some research on my part and from what I've read, GM did technically pay back the money the Obama administration lent them, but it did pay back all the money the bush admin had already lent them prior to Obama. In all, about 9B. i still think this is better than loosing the company, all the workers and suppliers that would have gone along with the rest of GM. Even Ford encouraged the bailout because the loss of shared suppliers would have hurt them too.

I suspect this disagreement has its roots in political ideology (both sides), so minds will not likely be changed on this subject. Let's see what the next 4 years brings. Hopefully we won't return to the same place we were in 2009.
    Last edited by Ranny; 01-21-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Additional info

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranny For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (01-30-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Government motors and bankrupt of America deserved their fate. Too big to fail my ass. And lookbat the new gm. Their motors are just as leaky as their old ones.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    T. Tell this to somebody who bought a completely terrible and trouble-prone 2005 Impala only to be told by "New GM" that the car was manufactured by "Old GM" and the car's warranty wouldn't be covered
    This. Good lord. I had a 2007 with over 300,000 miles. I don't even know the quantity of transmissions that were swapped out, but it was a lot. CONSTANT slipping in 1st. And the electric dampers... My god. The actual motor itself (a 3.9L if i recall) ran great still . I absolutely hated this car, and sent it to the crusher.

But the pre-update ones... Like pre 1999... Keep
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 01-21-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    You're telling it to someone who owned GM stock for many years. It paid a decent dividend, but I sold it long before the most recent troubles.

Your post did spur some research on my part and from what I've read, GM did technically pay back the money the Obama administration lent them, but it did pay back all the money the bush admin had already lent them prior to Obama. In all, about 9B. i still think this is better than loosing the company, all the workers and suppliers that would have gone along with the rest of GM. Even Ford encouraged the bailout because the loss of shared suppliers would have hurt them too.

I suspect this disagreement has its roots in political ideology (both sides), so minds will not likely be changed on this subject. Let's see what the next 4 years brings. Hopefully we won't return to the same place we were in 2009.
    Fair enough. I am glad GM still exists. But mockingly referring to them as "Government Motors", even years after the Feds took a $9B-$10B loss saving their asses, seems pretty reasonable to me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

BostonJellyBean (01-22-2017)