Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First check engine light at 232000kms

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Holy crap, what do you do for work that it gets driven 10k a month? hows the CVT holding up? Any jerks/issues? What's the terrain like where you drive? moutain roads or flat lands?

604: Fummins maintains a fleet of Mirages that are used as delivery vehicles, and posts a ton of useful info about them.

He's seen one CVT failure. See this recent thread for more info:

Thread: CVT Failure ( at 304,000 km / 189k miles)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    604: Fummins maintains a fleet of Mirages that are used as delivery vehicles, and posts a ton of useful info about them.

He's seen one CVT failure. See this recent thread for more info:

Thread: CVT Failure ( at 304,000 km / 189k miles)
    Since the Mirage is so reliable Fummins has the time to update us on the few problems that occur
    If this was a Chevy Spark forum he’d be too busy to ever post!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 604_guy View Post
    Holy crap, what do you do for work that it gets driven 10k a month? hows the CVT holding up? Any jerks/issues? What's the terrain like where you drive? moutain roads or flat lands?
    The one car with 300k see's about 500kms a day all pretty flat highway. The rest of the cars see a mix of city,highway, and back roads. They put on about 300kms a day on average.

And yes the Mirage is much more reliable than the Spark! We had a 2014 and it spent 6 months at the dealer in one year. It was sold for next to nothing after the warranty up and replaced with a 17' Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-23-2017)

This is weird. I have another car with the same code with identical mileage. P0421 on a 2015 with 231535kms(143869miles). I cleared the light and sent them on their way for now. I'll post back when the light comes back on and I have more time to dig into it. Will probably just replace the front cat like I did on the other car. But then I'll be out of good ones for 15's.

I see rockauto list's cat's for the 15's now.
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-28-2018 at 05:20 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got a 2015 cat if you need one. 35k miles.
    Simplify and add lightness.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-28-2018)

Thanks for the offer, I've got one low mileage one left here to use. (Shipping here would probably be crazy) When it's gone we'll likely just buy new through wherever we get exhaust from. Unless I manage to gut an old one an rig up a spark plug defouler for the rear 02. Probably won't work on these cars though?
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm running no front cat and a 90-degree defouler in the post-cat location. It works about 99%. I get a very rare CEL from it, only during autocross. I think it comes from hammering it too hard when it's not quite warmed up. I run a high-flow cat in approximately the stock #2 cat location.

Yeah, you're right about shipping. Wouldn't be cost-effective.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-28-2018)

Really? I may or may not have made a sarcastic post on a different thread after someone suggested removing the cat. Thankfully I forget things quickly and will probably give that a try first. We don't have any emission testing at all here. So far... I usually prefer to fix thing properly but this may be an exception if it becomes a common problem on these cars. 2 out of the 3 cars we have with over 230k have had this problem now.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not one to run completely catless. For selfish reasons. I don't like the smell, and my wife HATES the smell. That's my emissions test.

But, the pre-cat is there mostly for start-up emissions. I'm not losing any sleep over being without it. I figure I'm still not polluting as much as those guys with their Cummins diesel trucks. (What? Oh, right. Sorry.)

Anyway, yeah. It works. Unfortunately, to run a proper exhaust header on this car, you have to remove the pre-cat.