Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The infamous hill holder on the '17 (how to disable)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Speedy Gonzalez lol.
    Lol. Ever roll back with 160,000 lbs? Scary proposition.
    You learn on hills to become quite profiecent in knowing where your clutch engagement point is.
    Dealer said there was a tsb out about the exhaust noise.
    That was taken care of.
    They said the brakes had surface rust... Hence the noise.
    Well.. I will keep an eye on it.
    Didn't hear brake noise until that pop.
    But what do i know.
    But it's in the system now.
    Oh and Mitsubishi has no option to disable HSA.
    Was told to click once on the ebrake to disable HSA.
    So for now. . I will deal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonJellyBean View Post
    Maybe. Or 2 seconds is 1.75 seconds too long for a professional truck driver...
    When I read 2 seconds I thought the same - awful long time. What if your about too be rear ended by a not so professional truck driver?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Does the HSA engage even on a flat road?
    Good question. According to what I read on Mitsubishi-Motors.com, it appears to be active on hills only. This might be a generic description of the feature and I wonder if it varies from one model to another.

From the complaints in this thread, it seems to be active on flat roads? Since it is not active on my Speck, I can't tell.

Link: Mitsubishi-motors.com | spirit | technology | library | Hill Start Assist

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsubishi-motors.com | spirit | technology | library | Hill Start Assist
    HSA (Hill Start Assist)
    This system prevents vehicles rolling backwards and makes hill starts easier by holding the braking force during the time when the driver is moving his/her foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal in order to start the vehicle on a steep road.

When the system determines that the vehicle is stopped on a steep road from the information of various sensors and the ECUs, the system will hold the braking force after the driver releases the brake pedal until the driver depress the accelerator pedal (for a maximum of two seconds). The system will reduce the braking force in accordance with the operation of the accelerator by the driver and the engine torque that is generated.

● HSA also functions when the vehicle is reversing up a steep road.

● Depending on the road surface conditions, the vehicle may roll backwards.
    The diagram suggests that the Hill Start Assist uses the inputs of G sensors - front and rear - and a yaw rate sensor reporting to the Active Stability Control unit. The engine ECU, transmission ECU (for CVTs) and ETACS also interface with the ASC for this function. With that, it appears the ASC ECU performs the function of Hill Start Assist.

In addition, I found references to a brake pump, which I *think* might be associated with brake assist and anti-lock braking?

This is all very interesting. There is a lot to learn about all the various features with the brakes on these cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-15-2017),MetroMPG (02-16-2017),poorman1 (01-15-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    "CAUTION
    Do not overly rely on the hill start assist to prevent backwards movement of the vehicle. Under certain circumstances, even when hill start assist is activated, the vehicle may move backwards if the brake pedal is not sufficiently depressed, if the vehicle is heavily loaded, or if the road is very steep or slippery."

As posted earlier the system uses the pressure YOU applied to the brake pedal. The system uses G sensors n' such to feel the car moving and releases the brakes... as soon as it starts moving! The 2 second hold is to give you time to go, you're not stuck there waiting for it to time out.
    Whatever happened to cause the issue OP had may or may not be related to some failure in the system but it is NOT caused by the designed function of the system.
    get it checked.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's another good point. I think it's easy to get used to all these features to the point of when things malfunction it can create confusion, especially to new users (me.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BostonJellyBean (01-15-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's another good point. I think it's easy to get used to all these features to the point of when things malfunction it can create confusion, especially to new users (me.)
    I'm on this forum to get help and be helpful (mostly.. lol). I can only assume others are here for same.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Funny thing is all this technology you 4wheelers are just getting, we have been testing in over the road tractors at least 5 years before you see it. With that. I've already almost been killed by forward collision mitigation malfunctions. Broken drums from hill holds that don't release, partial automation. Been there done that.
    Hence why I bought mirages. For the most part theybdont have that overpriced big brother crap that malfunctions continuously.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah funny thing about intrusive safety features, they are usually introduced where they are needed most, then trickle down to everyone else once proven (?)
    Last edited by IchabodCrane; 01-15-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep. Before long OTR trucks will be automated. No more sleepy drivers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep. Before long OTR trucks will be automated. No more sleepy drivers.
    Just wait till they do it to your cars.
    Gonna be a great day when I don't have to worry about some retarded snowflake texting.