Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mazda to challenge the Mirage's gas mileage supremacy?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    i calculated the time it would take me to make up the difference in cost between a cvt versa and an auto micra, if i bought the better mileage versa.....20 years.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kevhaw For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Very cool. HCCI has been around for a long time, but nobody has been able to get it to work good in real world driving conditions. Last I heard, GM had some test mule Cobalts running in HCCI mode during light load or something specific. It would not run in HCCI the whole time.

I actually just watched this video the other day that explains how HCCI works, and how it compares to gasoline spark ignition and diesel engines. Pretty interesting. I also like this guys youtube channel in general because he explains things very well.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Carfreak09 (02-09-2017),Eggman (01-16-2017),fifteenwindow (01-16-2017),inuvik (01-16-2017),kevhaw (01-16-2017),Top_Fuel (01-16-2017),wellswebdesign (01-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Cool video. Thanks for posting it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    One companies strides become everyone's. Give it time and all the japanese manufacturers will start using them if they are as good as they say.

My guess is reliability will become the issue, as it is with almost all brand new (old) tech.

This is really cool though! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, has anyone seen real world tests of the Chevy Cruze? People are getting under 5 L/100 km, which are quite impressive for a car that doesn't retain its value very well.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    After watching the video it seems to me that quality of fuel would play a major role in making this work.
    I would not be surprised if this engine required premium gasoline with a mandatory minimum octane rating to function at peak efficiency. This may limit it's use regionally and the actual economics ($$) may not be worth the initial outlay.
    I would have to wonder as well how this engine will function in cold climates like northern Canada.
    How is required combustion temp achieved in cold starts at sub -20° temps or even during normal use at these temps?
    I think what we're being told now is likely the peak performance achievable with serious compromises in economy coming with any condition outside of optimum.
    I would expect maybe glow plugs, supplemental heating of fuel and/or intake air as well as the EGR recirculation system. These will use energy thus reducing proposed economy much like the use of "always on" air conditioning in our Mirages.
    It will be interesting to watch the evolution of this concept as it is perfected (if it ever is) in all markets.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

BostonJellyBean (01-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I gave up a couple years ago, waiting on Mazda's diesel engine to hit the US. I really wanted the CX 5 with the sky active diesel. That will probably never happen now. Thanks VW. This new gas engine will probably take forever too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very cool. Really great to see innovation on small car efficiency. Likely not a perfect fit for me...but love to see it none the less.

Thanksw for sharing

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    I wonder how this engine will perform under very cold circumstances since it needs very specific temperatures to operates well.
    Space Star 1.2 2017 =>

Mazda MX-5 1990 =>

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not sure high(relative) compression coupled with miller/atkinson cycle engines are really that new, although HCCI in a gas engine would actually be a development. I'm interested to see if they can seriously challenge Mitsubishi's NA fuel economy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have mixed feelings about Mazda they make great cars we had a cx5 auto awd that is gone day and night 28mpg there were 5 recalls in 2 years and the dealer experience was horrible each time. We still have a mazda 2 auto trouble free and no recalls 35mpg during mild weather when it's cold the 2 eats gas to the point the CX5 was more practical to drive. Some of the mazda dealers make the pay by week or instant lube places look professional even the Mitsu places in our area are more professional and what I mean by that is the bad rap mitsu gets like if your score is 500 you buy mitsu.