Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heated Mirrors

Country
    Great Britain
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Heated Mirrors

Does the Mirage come with heated mirrors. Thinking of getting one but the bad reviews are putting me off.

And heated mirrors will make or break your decision? They are available on some trims, in some countries. You could retrofit if you can't find them on the car you're looking at, eg:

Thread: heated mirrors U.S.? (Canada has them)

ALSO: have you driven the car yet?

Owners generally love these cars. SOME reviewers seem to get their panties in a twist over them. Don't put much stock in the reviews - go try it yourself if you're interested.

And welcome to the site.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    The Mirage/Space star is cheap to run, to buy, and seems to wear bloody well indeed.

Mine doesn't have heated mirrors, not even electric one's.
    At work I drive a truck with heater mirrors, but I purposely defeated the heating.
    Why? If you drive long distances on moist roads with mist or spray getting on them, the heater will dry the mucky stuff to a non-transparent film, and you see nothing. Without heating, you actually see better, but in the rare case of fog misting up the mirror, heating is a benefit, but the disadvantages definitely outweigh.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My G4 SE in (US spec) has electric mirrors but not heated. I have Frost-Guard brand mirror covers that work fine. Don't believe they are available here.

Drive one before you dismiss. They are what they are: inexpensive, economical transportation. If you want a road cruiser.. look elsewhere.

Country
    Great Britain
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I am currently into a 13 year Skoda ownership and every one apart from my current citigo has had heated mirrors and I do miss it. Not driven one yet. Is a new update version coming out this year or next in the UK?.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It seems to me that the worst reviews come from us here in North America. One of the reasons I bought a Mirage was because it was the kind of car we specifically lacked here in America. We seem to be obsessed with bigger engines, bigger cars, more power, better acceleration. I seem to remember the Mirage winning some sort of "car of the year" award in Australia. Are there negative reviews from outside North America? I can't seem to recall any.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    If you drive long distances on moist roads with mist or spray getting on them, the heater will dry the mucky stuff to a non-transparent film, and you see nothing.
    \

I've seen this too.

Switchable heated mirrors make sense, and I believe the Mirage's are tied in with the rear window defroster.

Also useful to have heated mirrors to clear ice/snow. Hard to chip that off without damaging the power mirror mechanism.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    It seems to me that the worst reviews come from us here in North America.
    The U.S. auto media may actually be tied with the U.K. press in that regard.

I seem to remember the Mirage winning some sort of "car of the year" award in Australia.
    It's actually won a bunch of awards:

Thread: Mirage / Space Star awards & accomplishments

Are there negative reviews from outside North America? I can't seem to recall any.
    Negative (and positive and middling) reviews have come in from just about everywhere. But the U.S. and U.K. seem to have produced the most viscious ones.

We've posted over 300 (!) links and summaries of reviews from around the world in this subforum:

Mirage / Space Star Media Reviews & Road Tests

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bfdmit View Post
    Does the Mirage come with heated mirrors. Thinking of getting one but the bad reviews are putting me off.
    I test driven the car before seeing any reviews or this forum. I found the car pretty decent, with a lot of cool standard equipment. On the plus side, you have a good warranty and a very reliable and simple car! No turbos, no intercoolers, no fancy crap, just plain simple automobile.

Go have a test drive and look at all the MPGs, then go home and calculate the amount of money you are going to save on fuel alone, i'm sure you'll be pretty pleased
    Space Star 1.2 2017 =>

Mazda MX-5 1990 =>

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrefsbispo For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-19-2017),MightyMirageMpg (01-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Bfdmit View Post
    Is a new update version coming out this year or next in the UK?.
    New Mirage?

It had a mid-cycle update less than a year ago.

The next gen won't likely be out for another couple of years or so.