Thread: Autoweek's 2017 Mirage G4 sedan CVT review: "slightly better"

Autoweek's 2017 Mirage G4 sedan CVT review: "slightly better"

Name:  autoweek-mirage-g4.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  96.6 KB

Recently Car & Driver got their hands on a 2017 hatchback, then Autoguide, and now it's the G4 sedan getting a review from another one of the big U.S. automotive press outlets.

Confirms that Mitsu's marketing strategy was to start with the "social media influencers" first (any blogger with more than "X" followers.

Autoguide finds it's "slightly better" than the hatchback, but "still in a category of its own" (not meant as a compliment, I'm guessing).

Pros: Improved suspension, excellent turning radius, spacious trunk, 42 mpg hwy.
    Cons: Outdated handling, outdated cabin, noisy engine, vastly more capable competition at top of price range
    Overall a pretty balanced review. Nothing like the Autoguide drive-by we saw a few days ago.

See the full review: http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...w-better-hatch

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't care for the sedan. Maybe cause it was that silver color or maybe cause the way the back of the car runs up and all I could see was trunk in my mirror.
    It did ride a little better than the hatch, but I like the hatch more. Thats just me? While I was getting service Saturday my dealer was delivering G4 to 2 customers. The sedan seems to be popular around me. I've seen quite a few with my dealers sticker.
    Maybe if I got the sedan for 10k fully loaded I would have loved it.. But at 1k more starting... No thanks. Sedans are a dime a dozen

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

I think they should have priced it to undercut America's cheapest car: the Nissan Versa sedan.

Ironically, a lot of people think the Mirage has America's lowest starting price -- I see that in blog comments and sometimes even the reviewers say it (wrongly).

But Nissan has held that title for years with the Versa sedan. And that car KILLS the monthly sales numbers. It's been the USA's bestselling subcompact car for many years, month after month.

Mitsu could do the same with the G4's MSRP if it wanted to. Show me the money!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

BostonJellyBean (01-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I could have gotten the g4 sedan 5mt silver Bluetooth no garnish/ led for 10,200 when my dealer sent me that add.
    I drove the sedan around the lot. It didn't resonate with me like the hatch.
    Granted I shouldn't have cared with the price... But silver is BORING. At least I have a color that grabs the attention of the wealthy town I live in

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And yes. They should just drop the msrp. Base model 5mt hatches. $10,100
    G4 5MT 10,750
    Drop the roadside to 3/36k to offset some cost.
    My price penalizes the sedan because we have too many in the USA

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To my eyes, subcompact sedans look ill proportioned. Mirage sedan is no exception. Even at 10k, I could so without the plastic hubcapped base model sedan. Though the new hatch is a nice restyle. The article was fair enough. The author at least acknowledges that the car has found a niche. Some of the criticisms have merit and aren't delivered with excessive snark.

On a positive note: those photos they took for the review are probably the nicest of any Mirage review I've seen. Golden hour sunlight and all!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ya the pics are nice. I hear it rides better than the hatch. Maybe I should have given it a chance... But I've always liked hatch in sub compacts...