Thread: Taillight swap

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Taillight swap

Will 2014/2015 Mirage tail lights swap with the 2017 LED style?

I am curious if the tail lights are an instant swap between the two models. Down the road if the LED's mess up, can I swap to older model so I can replace lamps down the road.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nope!You put LEDs in a 14,15 and you will drive down the road with the traction control in reduced engine power mode struggling to reach 45 MPH. That's what mine did! Setting some brake lamp circuit diagnostic trouble codes. Could possibly figure out the correct resistors to fool the traction control system into thinking it has the correct bulbs in it but to me it did not worth the hassle.

I put the factory bulbs back as fast as I could.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    Will 2014/2015 Mirage tail lights swap with the 2017 LED style?

I am curious if the tail lights are an instant swap between the two models. Down the road if the LED's mess up, can I swap to older model so I can replace lamps down the road.
    You're asking if the old style 14,15 will swap into your 17 right? Most people ask the other direction. It wouldn't be a direct swap, harnesses are different and the reflector housing would look different unless you changed both taillights.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    He's asking if 14,15 will swap into a 17. Essentially putting bulbs in place of LEDs, so it would probably work with harness change.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    Could possibly figure out the correct resistors to fool the traction control system into thinking it has the correct bulbs in it but to me it did not worth the hassle.
    In addition, installing resistors kinda defeats saving energy.

Certain signal bulbs are supervised for broken filaments for a reason. Replacing other lamps shouldn't be a problem, though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (01-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    Nope!You put LEDs in a 14,15 and you will drive down the road with the traction control in reduced engine power mode struggling to reach 45 MPH. That's what mine did! Setting some brake lamp circuit diagnostic trouble codes. Could possibly figure out the correct resistors to fool the traction control system into thinking it has the correct bulbs in it but to me it did not worth the hassle.

I put the factory bulbs back as fast as I could.
    Did you just swap your factory bulbs with LED bulbs or upgrade the entire light housing to the new 2017 LED tail light housing?

I dont think the OP wants LED bulbs in his 2014-15 housing. I think he wants the new 2017 tail lights on his older Mirage. As do I, so thats why I'm asking.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    In addition, installing resistors kinda defeats saving energy.

Certain signal bulbs are supervised for broken filaments for a reason. Replacing other lamps shouldn't be a problem, though.
    Not everything is about saving energy. Some people just want to remove those 2014-15 tail lights that look like they were found on a car from the 1990's

9. The Following User Says Thank You to flotownj For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-22-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    Not everything is about saving energy. Some people just want to remove those 2014-15 tail lights that look like they were found on a car from the 1990's
    Oh, I get it - that's why I phrased it the way I did.

For some folks, looks are important. In my cost-benefit analysis, the returns don't justify the expense. I suppose some day it might though. Either that, or one day I will no longer have to worry about my money. I suppose at that point I won't be driving an economy car...

lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My fear is the LED lights burning out and then needing to replace the entire tail light. If that happens down the road, I would prefer to swap to the older type tail lights so bulbs can be replaced.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-22-2017)