Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Is the CVT really more efficient than the manual transmission?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I driven both and feel like a real world driver will get better MPG in a CVT. Period.

I regularly move my sisters (It is a CVT) and check the avg mpg and most of the time it's actually above 40...On a 500 mile trip with the car loaded up with crap, it got 36 going 75-80 mpg..with a head wind.

All and all though, I'd personally get the manual though because that CVT is the oddest transmission I've ever felt. lol.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tytotheler92 View Post
    I driven both and feel like a real world driver will get better MPG in a CVT.
    If you mean the "average" or "typical" driver, I would sadly agree.

Of the few manual drivers in my neighbourhood, I often hear them driving down the road in second gear when 3rd or 4th would be fine. They won't beat their cars' MPG ratings doing that.

But anyone who cares enough to be asking or reading about this topic on this forum is probably going to be better than the average/typical driver.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Exactly what I mean.

That being said lugging a car can hurt fuel economy just as much as revving it. Although, I don't think the Mirage really cares either way. Probably one of the easiest manuals to drive out there.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoboxer View Post
    The EPA ratings say the CVT gets better mileage than the manual, but some users here have tested both and achieved better MPG with the manual. But, those tests were performed by skilled eco drivers using the most fuel efficient driving possible.

In terms of regular daily driving which may occasionally require going fast, which one wins? Will the manual only win if the driver really focuses on driving efficiently? Which one gets better highway mileage at 100km/h?
    ...I recognize this is somewhat disjointed but whatever...notwithstanding the fact that the wife would have issues with me having a manual stick...when I tried to teach her how to drive one on a previous car she left shavings on the road...in part you really have to know how to drive a stick...I have driven cars for over 30 years with various sticks...some great and some really bad...the worst was on my 280Z with an "injection thunk" they couldn't correct...somewhat like an irritating "thud" felt through the car each time I shifted...sort of a "Chinese water torture" mentally for me knowing it would happen each time I shifted...but it's not just knowing the exact shift points whether by sound or by tach...I took note and learned from a neighbor that could double-clutch and down-shift so perfectly on his 'vette that it was annoying...here, I would agree that for most, the CVT should be overall more efficient and personally I didn't exactly like the "feel" of the manual stick...for myself the pro for the manual was it gave better "touch" with the road surface in bad weather, especially snow and it kept you more aware of your surroundings when driving tired...the con was in stop and go driving where being on the turnpike at 5 mph for 20 miles because of bad weather conditions or an accident...it felt like my foot was trying to go to the same place my hip resided, to the point I was getting teary-eyed from the agony...but what I found whether using a manual or auto is that beside the normal litany of "how to increase your mileage," I mastered the art of staying "behind" cars that were on the road in front of me...keeping distance so I didn't have to constantly tap the brakes because I was too close as a following car...this was EASILY the hardest thing I had to learn to increase mileage...everything else in the holy grail of how to increase mileage was no sweat...I get 50 mph on the CVT so I'm good with the CVT...the only other item for my one and a half cents is that I don't use the cruise control as I'm pretty disciplined in keeping steady pressure on the gas pedal which is not exactly easy either...