Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the CVT really more efficient than the manual transmission?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Is the CVT really more efficient than the manual transmission?

The EPA ratings say the CVT gets better mileage than the manual, but some users here have tested both and achieved better MPG with the manual. But, those tests were performed by skilled eco drivers using the most fuel efficient driving possible.

In terms of regular daily driving which may occasionally require going fast, which one wins? Will the manual only win if the driver really focuses on driving efficiently? Which one gets better highway mileage at 100km/h?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ecoboxer For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-20-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In normal "every man" driving the CVT is likely more efficient.
    With skilled eco driving in mixed conditions mostly non highway the manual likely wins..
    Mixed conditions mostly highway probably pretty close.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    My bet goes to the 5 speed manual in both conditions. Here is why:

Speed vs. mpg/mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd and CVT

and

Gas mileage/MPG test: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. 5-speed (sub/urban Ottawa route)

That being said, the difference isn't gigantic. If you like the convenience of the CVT, you're going to take a hit, but its not the end of the world.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Man even if the CVT was more efficient i would never buy a car with it. My brain gets mind **** with that 1200 rpm or 5000 rpm sounds :P Also, i like changing gear and feel in command
    Space Star 1.2 2017 =>

Mazda MX-5 1990 =>

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andrefsbispo View Post
    Man even if the CVT was more efficient i would never buy a car with it. My brain gets mind **** with that 1200 rpm or 5000 rpm sounds :P Also, i like changing gear and feel in command
    Granted you have the light clutch 5 speed in your Miata versus the heavy 6 in my NB but you still must not have bad traffic where you live. My average commute is right around an hour to go 12 miles. I bought the CVT so I can not stress in my week day drive. Love the Miata but its for weekends and open roads. The Mirage makes my regular commute a breeze and has reduced my fuel budget by more than half.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drive like "normal" and even stop light race when I'm bored. Still getting stellar mileage with my 5 speed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Granted you have the light clutch 5 speed in your Miata versus the heavy 6 in my NB but you still must not have bad traffic where you live. My average commute is right around an hour to go 12 miles. I bought the CVT so I can not stress in my week day drive. Love the Miata but its for weekends and open roads. The Mirage makes my regular commute a breeze and has reduced my fuel budget by more than half.
    I would go crazy with that commute! Basically 12mph for an hour?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I would go crazy with that commute! Basically 12mph for an hour?
    12 mph for an hour might not be too bad. Most likely it's 50, then 0, then 35, then 5, then 40 and 0.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    My bet goes to the 5 speed manual in both conditions. Here is why:

Speed vs. mpg/mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd and CVT

and

Gas mileage/MPG test: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. 5-speed (sub/urban Ottawa route)

That being said, the difference isn't gigantic. If you like the convenience of the CVT, you're going to take a hit, but its not the end of the world.
    in the third chart there are no data points for speeds below 50mph shown with cvt and at the top of the chart (highest speeds) there would have to be an error or the Philippines spec manual has different gears than US spec as it's a proven fact that US spec cvt runs almost 1000rpm lower than US spec manual at or above 60mph.
    I have personally achieved 3.3L/100km at speeds varying from 45mph to 60mph with my '14 cvt. my '17 cvt is proving to be even more aggressive, holding as low as 1200rpm at 30mph, 1500 @45mph and 2100 @ 60mph..
    I haven't tried to achieve 3.3L/100km again in the '17 yet as I bought it in late fall and could not match conditions. Will try in spring on dry roads @ 10 to 20°C and see what happens.
    I got these numbers by maintaining 2000rpm regardless of speed/location/condition. With more agressive techniques the cvt should hold it's own vs manual trans US spec vs US spec.
    Last edited by IchabodCrane; 01-21-2017 at 01:56 AM.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The EPA has certain standardized parameters which testers must stick to when calculating the numbers for manual cars (shift points, etc), not all of which are conducive to getting the absolute best mpg a car is capable of. In 2007, the testing procedures were changed. Prior to 2007, the EPA rating was the maximum mpg you could get out of the car if you were driving it for economy. After 2007, the procedures were changed to reflect what the average driver could expect if driving like, well...the average driver.

So yes, the fact that so many people are getting better-than-EPA-mileage with the manual largely comes down to 'technique'. But it is not uncommon for people with the CVT to best the EPA's numbers, either.

I am sure the CVT is fine for most people, but I just don't think it is worth an extra thousand damned dollars!

Last edited by Cobrajet; 01-21-2017 at 11:14 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-21-2017)