Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter grinding no warranty coverage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Starter grinding no warranty coverage

What is the best thing I can do? Was the dealership just replacing starters? Shims? It's getting bad on my mirage. Almost 50% of the starts now are grinds. I found a used starter from a 2015 for $33 shipped off eBay.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    What is the best thing I can do? Was the dealership just replacing starters? Shims? It's getting bad on my mirage. Almost 50% of the starts now are grinds. I found a used starter from a 2015 for $33 shipped off eBay.
    There is a TSB for 2014's for starter issues with a warranty fix. Has this been completed on yours?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...55251-3310.pdf
    Last edited by inuvik; 01-20-2017 at 10:16 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Johnny Mullet (01-22-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I'd just replace the worn original starter with the used Ebay starter and call it a day.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

alex16 (01-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Starter is usually easy to replace. On my car from the bottom sode, you just unbolt it and remove the connectors. I don't think you have to do any special aligning with the sprocket

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just be sure to disconnect the battery before replacing it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-23-2017),fc321 (07-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    Just be sure to disconnect the battery before replacing it.
    Remove the main power wire without wrench touching any metal (slide heater hose over the wrench). Then slide smaller heater hose over the positive terminal. R&R starter. That's the flat rate way of doing it haha.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    What is the best thing I can do? Was the dealership just replacing starters? Shims?
    What does your visual inspection show - is it caked with dirt? I wonder if that would keep your starter pinion from fully engaging the flywheel.

I sure hope the flywheel teeth are not damaged from continued gear mesh problems. If that is the case, you'd be replacing the ring gear as well as the starter. Ick.

What about the starter recall?

In any case, be sure to post up some detailed photos please.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Starter is clean. It's been grinding for a while. Dealership said the couldn't duplicate it back when it had the full coverage. I'm pretty sure half of the flywheel teeth are chewed. I might pull the plugs and slowly turn over the engine and file the bad ones smoother for now if I can. Hopefully I'll find a used flywheel for cheap for when the clutch job. I'm also having a issue with it "eating" coolant. It's used all of the over flow tank, I've had to add almost half a gallon with no visable leaks. I assume it's a head gasket issue, for now I just have guesses though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    . Hopefully I'll find a used flywheel for cheap for when the clutch job. I'm also having a issue with it "eating" coolant. It's used all of the over flow tank, I've had to add almost half a gallon with no visable leaks. I assume it's a head gasket issue, for now I just have guesses though.
    Pop the radiator cap off and start the car look for bubbles. Indicates compression getting into the cooling system.

If the oil or coolant look milky they are cross contaminating

Pull the plugs inspect them look for white "chalky" substance usually built up around the outside indicates burning of water or antifreeze.

Any or all point to bad headgasket and it isn't something ide "let go" because you might end up roaching the head itself

Good luck with the starter, and don't buy a used flywheel unless your going to resurface it

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    I assume it's a head gasket issue, for now I just have guesses though.
    If that's the case, it would be the third head gasket failure on this forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)